📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

I always have a ton of indecision, so there’ll always be some doubts just from reading the first few pages, but I do have a couple books that I’ll be adding to my 読みたい本 list on Bookmeter!

Which are....

I’ve been wanting to read novels lately, and within that 地球星人 and TSUGUMI are my two front runners.

地球星人’s story sounds intriguing (I’m in the mood for drama!), and there are plenty of words I can pick up while reading it seems!

Pretty much the same feeling for TSUGUMI. The story description sounds not as twisted as 地球星人, but there’s the add bonus of it being recognized in the art of storytelling (I want to experience what that means).

If it’s a manga, I’m super into reading 日本人の知らない日本語✨ I live for this type of knowledge!

I could go for literally so many of the others too, but I think the top three for now is best.

If I join, this would be my first bookclub! I’m really excited and curious to see which one gets selected.

9 Likes

Streak Count: 5

I was on the fence about whether or not to reset my count. I didn’t so much read as translate fifteen minutes of episode 1 of 破門. I was only going to do an important exposition sequence because I barely understood it back when I watched it, but then I was just having fun translating.

I was going to give myself a streak of zero, but I suppose I read every line via the subtitles. And looked up so much vocab about construction work. Riveting. :woozy_face:

Nah, I kid. I came across a lot of interesting stuff outside of that. ^^ I didn’t really take any notes, but I usually just look through my kotobank and jisho search history for the day to check what I had to look up.

I think I’ll resort to looking more stuff up through the kotobank app. Then I can add words that I look up more than once to my 単語帳.

16 Likes

I just have to say that this little challenge has been good motivation for me so far. I usually dread reading because it’s very mentally taxing and takes hours for me to make much progress, so a more relaxed mindset of ‘I just have to do a little bit so I can keep up my streak’ is a nice change. Cheers to all you other eager readers. :fallen_leaf:

19 Likes

Home post

Day 6:

日本語: I read a fair amount of パノラマ島綺譚.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ハイキュー.

中国語

中国語: I read 聪明药.

16 Likes

Sep 6th: Read 3 pages of 糞尿譚.
Sep 7th: Read 1.5 pages of 糞尿譚.

Sadly I didn’t read as much as I wanted to, but a lot of other stuff was going on (Japanese- and work-wise), so I don‘t complain.

16 Likes

Main post

Day 7 :heavy_check_mark: (one week completed yay :sparkles:)

I read the second volume of ばらかもん. It’s really a nice manga, I had a lot of fun rediscovering it in Japanese!

Me whenever I manage to read a whole sentence without opening a dictionary

Vocab
  • 辛辣 (しんらつ) : bitter (e.g. criticism)
  • 究極 (きゅうきょく) : ultimate; final; last; eventual
  • 墨汁 (ぼくじゅう) : India ink; China ink
  • (すずり) : inkstone
  • 野良猫 (のらねこ) : stray cat
  • 尋常 (じんじょう) : common
  • 無闇 (むやみ) : thoughtless; reckless
  • 駄菓子 (だがし) : cheap sweets
  • (ふ) : wheat gluten (usu. steamed or baked)​
  • 率直 (そっちょく) : frank
  • 信憑性 (しんぴょうせい) : authenticity
  • 逝く (いく) : to pass away​
  • 登校 (とうこう) : attendance (at school)
  • 羞恥 (しゅうち) : shyness
  • 荒ぶ (すさぶ) : to become more severe
  • 模索 (もさく) : searching (for an answer, solution, etc.)
  • 蜃気楼 (しんきろう) : mirage
  • 器量 (きりょう) : looks (esp. of a woman)
  • 妄想 (もうそう) : wild idea; delusion
  • 略奪 (りゃくだつ) : pillage
  • 皆無 (かいむ) : nonexistent
  • (まれ) : rare
  • 余所 (よそ) : outside (one’s family or group)
  • 馴染む (なじむ) : to become familiar with; to fit in
15 Likes

Summary post

September 7
・Read Honzuki 5. (90% → 91%)

I didn’t have time to write it last night, but the start of the epilogue really was something.

Tried to avoid writing spoilers

Wanted to ask マイン what the heck she was doing. I guess I kinda know the reason why now, but it still felt like she had done a big mistake, a bad move. I’m curious where this will lead. So far, the shinkanchou seems reasonably chill about it? xD I have no read on this guy…

17 Likes

I finished the first volume of 星と旅する. It was strange but still fun to read.
Then I started the second volume of あさこ I really like the manga. Unfortunately I think there are only three volumes published.

16 Likes

Has it been a week already? :sparkles:

My bits and pieces of 授乳 the previous days actual ended up being exactly week one of the book club schedule, go figure. I read the part for week 2 yesterday.
More importantly, for myself, I read more of リゼロ17, finally managing to finish chapter 4. This volume has such long parts! For some reason I always find it much harder to find the motivation to start reading long parts than if there’s a lot of breaks.
I also read a bit of 人間失格.

Today I read the week 3 part of 授乳. Looking forward to finishing the first short story soon! I also read a few pages of 使ってはいけない日本語, and chapter 3 of キノの旅1, which I’m re reading right now.

16 Likes

:rofl:
love puns!

4 Likes

Summary Post

Day 7: September 7th
Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale

Random words
  • 中身 = なかみ contents, interior (what is inside something).
  • 帰還 = きかん return, repatriation.
  • 探索 = たんさく exploration, search, investigation.
  • 卒倒 = そっとう fainting.
  • 軌道に乗る = きどうにのる to be on track, to go as planned.
  • 返済 = へんさい repayment, reimbursement (debt, etc).
  • 就寝 = しゅうしん going to bed, retiring for the night.
  • 金融 = きんゆう finance, financing.
  • 市場 = いちば market.

Followed a bit more of the game I started yesterday. So far, so good.

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 7: September 7
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 5 min

Man, I’m tiredddd as heck today. Still managed to read 4 pages, and fairly fast? :flushed: But not a ton of energy left for writing this post :sweat_smile: I need to stop updating so late tbh, I probably should have gone to bed like an hour ago

Today’s pages were a little bit depressing - it’s a cold, windy winter day in the novel and man did it feel that way. :sweat_smile: A feeling that was further accentuated by Haru’s memory of the freaking funeral procession… Gotta say, the author does know how to create a mood. Poor sweet baby Makoto “hiding in Haru’s shadow” while they watch the funeral procession just broke my heart a little bit…like I just want to comfort him :cry: And then after we get done remembering that, we have a brief and awkward interaction with Aki in which Haru basically overthinks everything he says and does, and concludes that’s he’s saying and doing literally everything “wrong.” Which honestly, what a relatable mood <3

Good words from today (this novel is so full of good words that I want to remember, I love it):

• うつむく - to hang one’s head; to look down; to cast one’s eyes downward
  • 知らず知らず (しらずしらず) - unconsciously; unwittingly; unawares
  • 嗚咽 (おえつ) - sobbing; weeping; fit of crying (and honestly, what a distressed-looking word, like the kanji just look like sobbing)
  • 蠢く (うごめく) - to wriggle; to squirm; to crawl like a worm​ (this was written in kana, but I had to include this kanji, I mean look at it. It’s got bugs in it. I really love when kanji look like their meanings, can you tell)
  • ぶっきら棒 (ぶっきらぼう) - Haruka Nanase curt; blunt; brusque
  • 思い当たる (おもいあたる) - to suddenly understand (esp. on basis of experience or memory); to come to mind; to recall (in a flash); to be reminded of; to call to mind; to think of; to strike on; to hit on an answer; to seize the crux of a problem

Me at me: stop editing this post and go to bed

18 Likes

:house_with_garden:

:white_check_mark: 7日目 9月8日

Today’s reading from NHK News Web Easy: 使わなくなったたばこの自動販売機埼玉県狭山茶

Interesting reuse of old cigarette machines, but instant tea is :nauseated_face:

16 Likes

Hey!
Does anybody here have a blank template for the challange?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think just look at any post with it, hit reply, qoute button then just copy and paste m8

5 Likes

I have this in my flashcards and literally draw a blank on it Every. Single. Time. so maybe I need to read this book so I can actually remember it!

9 Likes

I’m a little bit late, but count me in. :slight_smile:

Sept
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Reading materials: For now my main reading material will be Beelinguapp on a Beginner level.

8 Sept 2021: 世界中の朝食;パートII

19 Likes

Welcome!

13 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 8

I read all of chapter 2 in 手紙! I’ve loved watching true crime TV since I was pretty young with my Dad, so the topic of this books is right up my alley. CRIMES. But this is the first time I’ve seen a story detail what it could feel like to be the relative of a criminal, specifically on the day the incident goes out on the news. :grimacing: The younger brother has to deal with the aftermath of his older brother’s choices while still functioning in society. Wild.

Not typing any spoilers yet, but from the next post I’ll probably start talking about more details (and blurring them).

Today's words:
  • 淀む(よどむ) = literally, to stagnate. But in this context it was figurative, to stutter or hesitate (in saying)
  • 叶う(かなう) = to come true (a wish)
  • 事情聴取(じじょうちょうしゅ) = (police) interview, questioning (a witness, suspect)
  • 一通り(ひととおり) = generally, more or less
  • 渦巻く = literally, to whirl/Eddy. Figuratively, to be all jumbled together (thoughts).

Main Post

16 Likes

Home post

September 8th 大海原と大海原 read 2 pages taking me to the end of chapter 1 and it took me 15 minutes. The book club starts in 2 days and I’m 2 chapters / weeks ahead =O

Vocab sheet

Added 12 new entries to round out the vocab sheet for chapter 1 (65 ch.1 entries) and it took me another 20 minutes.

Still really impressive!
S-E-V-E-N-T-E-E-N
十七
XVII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

It’s great being able to see that progress within yourself, a good check-in for how much progress you’ve made, and this goes right back to an excellent point you made previously…

My previous “one day dream goal” was just to be able to read ~stuff~, anything at all, even if it was completely painful. When I visited Japan I picked up a few supposed beginner friendly manga and dreamed of one day being able to crawl through them, imaging myself spending huge amounts of time on each page.

Even though reading is still difficult, it is important to remind myself that even this far was previously thought to be an ambitious goal that’d take me years to begin. So thanks for helping me keep that in mind, for the reminder, and the kind words :slight_smile:

My pleasure and seriously right back at you :star2:
I’ve found sharing this journey and hearing about your progress and excitement to be extremely motivating, that goes to everyone else in this/these thread(s) too =D

wwhhhatttttttt =O =O =O
But you’ve read so much!
So you started on your own, wooooow.

16 Likes