📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home post :bookmark: // :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: Dec 22 :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

・ 封印再度 (20% → 21%)

Read only a tiny bit. Took a lot of photos today, the weather was so nice.

I love taking photos of friends and family while they're using the camera. It's very fun.

19 Likes

2022-12-23T01:15:00Z

Thanks. I’ve never seen the ‘ro’ character written like that though. I always thought it was a box?

8 Likes

December 22nd!

Today I finished Chapter 1 of Cells at Work. This weeks pages felt a bit less text heavy than some of the other weeks assignments. Not sure whether it actually was, or whether it just felt smoother because I’m starting to pick up some of the vocab now.

(Home Page)

17 Likes

It is but if you know the stroke order you can see how it looks that way.

9 Likes

I finished 体育館の殺人 because I just wanted it done and I’m low focus today. I’ll probably read more of the 赤川次郎 book I have going because some one is maybe about to be killed and that’s interesting. This one reads very much like a crappy 80s movie where all the actors were hired because they’re hot and it’s just an endless stream of high dramatics and getting different couples into bed with each other.

So yeah, it’s great.

you’ve just described the entire plot of おじさんはカワイイものがお好き :joy:

and…that’s an episode of 警視庁捜査一課長 :upside_down_face:

18 Likes

Home

Yeah I spent a bunch of time today thinking about 蟻魔君は魔法使い, so I didn’t get much reading done.

I read/listened to ch 1-15 of 占い・藤鬼 on Satori Reader. I can pretty much read at the same pace as the audio, although I can’t exactly do just audio yet (there were a couple chapters where I listened to just the audio while putting away the dishes and then afterwards listened to it again while reading along, and uhhh yeah, audio-only did not go too hot). I recently did the lesson for 占い on WK though, so hopefully after this, I won’t forget the reading, because this was one word that I could never remember the reading for no matter how many times I looked it up.

I read 4 pages of 明日をくれた君に、光のラブレターを, leaving off on pg 157. Right after Midzuki was going to leave her reply inside the book (one that would kinda gently turn him down if her suspicions were correct that he does like her romantically) and found a letter already waiting: “もう、相原さんと文通できない.” But the next white-page break isn’t for another 12 pages and I need to be getting to bed because I have work tomorrow morning! (Also it’s currently 11°F with a wind chill of -7° outside and it’s very cold in my room too, even with my jacket and blanket. My fingers and nose are freezing.) Augh. Whyy can’t I read faster.

15 Likes

:frog: Home :phone:

December 21 and 22

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険58
21) 20 - 115
22) 116 - end (186)

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険59
22) start - 89

The :frog: :scissors: fight is so good but so gory jfc I forgot the amount of awful stuff there is in it.

Also I know exactly what comes next :smiling_face_with_tear: I’m not ready. I already tear up in the anime. How disgusting will I get with the manga as I have to actually read through it instead of just letting it play and wash over me? :sob:

On the bright side, just half of 59 and then 60, 61, 62, and 63 to hit my reading goal for the year. I guess I better get back to it.

18 Likes

December 22 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Just played some more BU$TAFELLOWS today, I’m past all the chapter one choices now so we’re making progress! At this rate I’ll almost certainly finish with a decent amount of the allotted two weeks left, so then I’ll have to figure out what else to read; I still have a bit of the last volume of ブルーロック I have hanging around, but then what? :eyes: Many options, maybe I’ll do one of those natively “what should I read next” things for funsies :man_shrugging:

19 Likes

This is the book I picked out of my to-read pile as my “should definitely be able to finish this by the end of the year” choice. I’m about halfway through it now, and it is indeed a good one.

11 Likes

Home Post

Day 43 Progress:
お隣の天使様 四冊 - 81.10% → 82.36%

I dunno. I just played like five hours of Deep Rock Galactic with friends after work instead of doing my readings. Could not get into it today.

Word of the Day: 嫉妬しっと - jealousy, envy. Yes, I chose the word because it sounds like ‘shit’ and my monkey brain finds that amusing for some reason.

18 Likes

Then you’ll probably like this:

17 Likes

Dec 23, Fri of Week 13 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Death Note Vol.6 Ch.44

Club continues to the next volume. Can’t really read it fast, though.

• BU$TAFELLOWS (Ch.1, 1 more choice)

ドキドキ sight, but I answered that anyway.

Interesting words
  • 初々(ういうい)しい = fresh new; innocent. Indeed, another reading of 初 I have seen before, in 初陣(ういじん).
  • (おも)いがけず = unexpectedly. Also, 思いがけない.
  • 素知(そし)らぬ(かお) = feigned ignorance
  • 新手(あらて) = newcomer; new method. I think of (あら)た + (). Opposite is 古手(ふるて).
  • 案件(あんけん) = matter for discussion; topic
  • 大家(おおや) = landlord. Opposite is 店子(たなこ) = tenant.
  • 重宝(ちょうほう) = convenient; handy
  • 美形(びけい) = good looks
  • 甘皮(あまかわ) = epidermis
  • 誤認(ごにん) = misconception
  • 喪服(もふく) = a mourning dress
  • 軽視(けいし) = belittling
  • 進出(しんしゅつ) = business expansion
  • 隔週(かくしゅう) = every two weeks = 一週間おき
  • 立証(りっしょう) = establishment of evidence
  • 発端(ほったん) = the beginning; the outset (of an event)
  • 冒頭(ぼうとう) = beginning (of a speech / essay)
  • 傍観(ぼうかん) = spectatorship
  • 管理人(かんりにん) = administrator
  • 不向(ふむ)き = unfit
  • 寸止(すんど)め = stopping just before delivering the attack, e.g. in Karate
  • 気取(きど)り = pretentiousness
  • ()せしめにする = setting an example
  • やむを()ない = cannot be helped

SFX

• ガンガン = loudly; flat out
  • じっくり = thoroughly; deliberately (thinking)
17 Likes

December 23rd

:snowflake: :christmas_tree:Home post:christmas_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 3 – progress report

Yesterday: Read the last 20-ish pages, finished volume 2 (chapter 10). Began reading volume 3, read up to page 16.
Today: Read up to page 40.

Small progress today but I don’t mind as I don’t want to push myself too much today.

Yamazaki – whom I’m going to call liar-kun from now on because I can’t seem to remember his name – has already dropped the first lie this volume. I certainly missed that guy, considering that he provides some nice comic relief every now and then. (Spoilers for another CLAMP series: I also cracked up when he suddenly showed up in an alternate universe in Tsubasa Chronicles at one point, telling lies yet again).
On second thought, I may not be remotely as fond of him making a appearance during my rereading of Card Captor Sakura because I’ll need to decipher his lies in Japanese this time. :sweat_smile:

Word or expression of the day:
巻き込む - (まきこむ) - to roll up, to enfold; to involve, to drag into

Honourable mention(s):
文房具屋 - (ぶんぼうぐや) - stationery shop
Haven’t gone to a stationery shop in a while… though it may be better that way because I can barely restrain myself from buying some new pens and the like every time I enter one. :confounded:

20 Likes

December 22-23 :heavy_check_mark: :tophat:

叙述トリック短編集 , 90-97%

I was supposed to finish the おばちゃんたちのいるところ story I had started, but I kept getting distracted :see_no_evil:. I did keep up with my “advent” book, leaving only a tiny bit for tomorrow, the last day before Christmas (already!).

Other than that, I’m spending most of the time I could have been reading looking for new books to buy, because surely the 50% coinback offer on Kadokawa’s books on Bookwalker is an opportunity that shouldn’t be missed, right? Even if I have about a dozen books I haven’t even started yet, and these coinback sales happen every month or so. :sweat_smile:
I suppose the holidays just put me in a spending mood. I even briefly considered buying WK lifetime even if I don’t see how it would make a difference, as I’m essentially re-learning in context a lot of the kanji I was supposed to have already learned on here. And I also considered Bunpro, as that also has a lifetime sale now, even though I look at the N1 category and can confidently recognize a good percentage of them, again through reading only. Somebody stop me.

23 Likes

Just don’t ok?

See? Buy books, not Bunpro :rofl:

Whut? A dozen only? Surely you can do better than that :thinking:

Mission accomplished? :joy:

16 Likes

:joy: Half-accomplished. Message received: no app memberships, but definitely more books. Back to browsing the bookstores then!

15 Likes

Half-accomplished? :thinking: I consider my mission extremely successful :joy_cat:

13 Likes

I have some N1 and N2 anki decks which are quite good and freely available. Bunpro seems nice but it just never stuck with me as much as Anki cards I could edit and leave my own notes and example sentences on

That’s the spirit!

It’s not like you’re not gonna buy those books later so I mean, why not now when the yen is cheap and there’s a deal?
I’m sorry I’m not helping :joy:

14 Likes

True, and I also have a great grammar book. I feel certain I’m not gonna do any more SRS in the near future, yet I’m still sometimes tempted. I’ll stop myself. :slight_smile:

If we were talking about books I already had in mind, this would be an excellent argument. What I’m doing though, is browsing all books, and actively trying to find something of interest just because it’s on offer. It’s a good way to discover new books of course, but I’m not sure I need to be doing that right now. Oh well, at least it’s fun. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

Oh wow how do you keep your sanity? I would get soooo lost among all those LN’s with NSFW covers :rofl:

I actually do it the other way around: I use the Bookwalker watchlist to keep track of all books I might be interested in some day, and whenever one of them goes on sale, this will be indicated, so I can just buy them when they are cheap. Of course my watchlist is pretty long, so that’s not exactly helping with keeping my 積読 stack in check :sweat_smile:

14 Likes