📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Just to let you know that we even ran a whole book club on his short stories! Here is an overview of which stories were best received by the participants:

And if you go to the OP of that thread, you can find individual discussion threads for each story, with grammar Q&A, contents discussions and everything.

14 Likes

Yes the post arrives part, I was talking about the first letter, I decided to stop reading after that because it was too much :rofl:

Glad to know that it isn’t really meant to be properly understood, I could get that it was about the victory of the Russo-Japanese war and that charity would be appreciated but all the additional fluff and crazy kanji went over my head (and no commas, no full stops, nothing to separate anything from anything)

11 Likes

November 5-6 :heavy_check_mark: :rose:

ユージニア, 4-10%

I only read a tiny 1% yesterday due to lack of time, but managed to finish the first chapter today with time to spare. The way information is revealed gradually is nothing short of tantalizing. I’m really enjoying it so far. This is my first Riku Onda, and if the book continues like it started, it definitely won’t be my last.

Tomorrow it’s time for the new Autumn Prison re-read club, although I’m not sure how much reading time I’ll have. And then on to the next portion of the Mystery Club pick. This is a very busy reading month. :books:

25 Likes

That’s about how much of it I got, too. I assume Soseki’s original readers would have read it as a parody of the style of actual charity-begging-letters they might have got through their door, though.

10 Likes

My thinking exactly :rofl: I am fascinated by her writing style already, and how she interacts with the reader (i.e. me). :heart_eyes_cat:

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 37, 6th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Today I read aTadoku book about how to make Nabe. Now I’m huungry even though I just ate…

Also, I might just make somehting Nabe-adjecent this week, because they’re right, when it’s cold something like that is the ideal food.

20 Likes

06 November 2022

:house: Home Post

Something that I’ve noticed about reading through these transcripts is how I can parse so much of what she says, but when I move over to NHK Easy articles, it feels like a different ballpark. I don’t think that it is a matter of using simple kanji, because these are chock-full of new words every time I go through them. However, it’s almost like their sentence structure is different from other Japanese material I read? Not too sure about it, but it’s good practice nonetheless.

20 Likes

November 6th!

Today I read chapters 29 and 30 of Shadows House, and then started reading God Bless the Mistaken. I’ve only read half of the first chapter but it seems interesting so far!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 6 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (29% → 40%)

Hehe, new character + character development of another character. Maybe won’t be as annoying anymore. Spoiler: New character Charlotte is very cute. Wilfried (or however his name is spelled) is realizing that there are several sides/truths to a matter/incident. Also finally starting to show respect for Ferdinand.

Thought I found a typo: 階段を()がる . 上がる is intransitive and should take the particle が, not を. Thought it was supposed to be 階段を(のぼ)る, but then they used the same phrase just inflected (階段を上がってきた).

Nihongo used confusion. It’s super effective!

24 Likes

I just checked NINJAL and while it’s not among the most popular options, there seem to be a bunch of use cases for を上がる:

https://tsukubawebcorpus.jp/headword/V.00150/

13 Likes

I guess you could think of those as the “を with a normally-intransitive verb of movement” thing? The examples with more than a handful of cites are all stairs and slopes and ladders and so on.

Some of the hits are not real examples, incidentally – for instance if you look at “料理を上がる” they turn out to all be 料理をお召し上がる…

10 Likes

Yep, that sounds plausible, indeed. Anyways, in either case it means that it’s not a typo…

Checked again and noticed that they even have some even worse parsing errors, e.g.

:rofl:

OK, lesson learned! :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I feel your pain. I just finished the ユージニア chapter, plan to cram in 体育館の殺人 and 秋の牢獄, and I need to read the next section of 死仮面 :see_no_evil: I took ユージニア so slow because I kept getting distracted by little details and looking things up, hopefully the others aren’t so intense

15 Likes

Today I read 7 pages of the Konosuba light novel. They start fighting monsters and Aqua is right away swallowed by a frog. I don’t think they have a chance defeating the demon lord like that. :rofl:

20 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: November 6 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Yesterday I had to pick between reading Japanese and working out and I picked the second. :muscle:

Today I read all of this week’s Orange chapter. The crux of this story is such a delicate matter, and I think it is being done really well. Balancing that with also being entertaining must have been so hard.

Also I haven’t shared pictures of my kitten for a while, so have a few. :smiley:

Kiro

Watching rain

The thing he’s tangled up with is fun to play with.

Right now, I’m lounging on my couch, and Kiro is laying across my left wrist and on my chest. He likes snuggling this boy of mine.

28 Likes

Home Post

(unfortunately this does not line up exactly as the lower diagram switches precisely at midnight, whereas the upper diagram switches when I go to sleep :roll_eyes:)

Anyways, I decided to take on a lot of book clubs and then spent 3 days this week chatting with my new flatmate instead of diligently reading :woman_facepalming: :rofl:

You can see the effects here: Kafka is far from being done :roll_eyes:, didn’t make as much progress with Eugenia as I had hoped :astonished: (but am overall very happy with my progress and understanding), and the Wild Ladies are falling more and more behind :flushed:
The good news is that I read and finished 人間椅子 this week! :tada:
Let’s see how the next week unfolds…

24 Likes

2022-11-07T01:37:00Z

Thanks for the reading.

Thanks for the translation.

I’ve seen this font also! It’s used sometimes for subtitles in anime openings and endings. I’ve never thought of it as hard to read because I’ve always only read it while listening to the song.

6 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: :lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle: :jack_o_lantern:

November 2-6

I didn’t read because I went on a solo roadtrip. I was exhausted at the end of every day but it was a really good time. I don’t know how much I read in info plaques, maps, and menus but I’m not going to count it this time :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Home post

Day 36:

Priority: :x:

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人.

Extra: :black_joker: 遊☆戯☆王 1.

23 Likes

November 6 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Well I went chaos mode today, who could’ve seen such a thing coming :joy: I meant to read ブルーロック but I might’ve accidentally started another VN instead? :sweat_smile: I remembered マミヤ had a demo and its sale was ending today so I decided to check it out and ended up playing it for like… two and a half hours straight? Whoops :laughing: But yeah it really got me, the last time a game caught me that fast was 999 and well we know how that went lmao. So inevitably I bought it, new adventures await! :tada:

I really should’ve expected it though, it’s very much up my alley, weird mysterious character-centric happenings? Yep, that’s the brand :grin: I also just really like the writing style from what I’ve seen, it strikes me as very pretty and almost poetic at times but in a way that’s still somehow not hard for me to read. I’m certain I have no real concept of what’s actually going on yet, but I am excited to see :eyes: (the demo did have different progress than the main game does though so back to square one, but I think it’s all different routes anyway so?? idk we’ll see)

I did also read a bit of ブルーロック but then I got sleepy haha, it’s still a delight as always. Now I just have options for what dramatic media to consume :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

24 Likes