📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:fallen_leaf: Day 24, 24th of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Read this story from DrDru’s site about things that move and driving to another country. I also definitely underestimated the number of stories still left. Maybe a more realistic goal is to finish them all till the end of this challenge :laughing:

18 Likes

Main Post

On October the 24th I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
20 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 24 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (87% → 91%)

Finished another side story, nearing the end of book now :eyes: And today I found a kanji whose stroke order I thought was funky. It’s the けん in 牽制(けんせい).

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the poop radical [1] drawn just half and then another radical, and then the rest of the poop radical.

Don’t let your dreams be dreams! :joy:

1. image ↩︎

26 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 24 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

I read another page of ごんぎつね. On this page, ごん finds out that because of the sardines he threw into 兵十’s house, 兵十 was accused of stealing the fish. Oh dear.

Anyway, look at this cutie!

27 Likes

Home post

Day 23:

Priority: :houses: 青桐. Between dialect and vagueness I’m definitely missing some nuance.

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人. 月夜 harassing 遊馬 at 6am.

Extra: :notebook: デスノート 1.

Snatches of: :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団. Umbridge trying to catch them at Hagrid’s. This book is very long.

23 Likes

October 24th!

Today I read the first half of Chapter 4 of 耳をすませば. It was quite tempting to read the 2nd half as well to finish the book, but also I’ve had a long day and was tired so I thought it better to save it and finish next week with the rest of the club as planned.

(Home Post)

23 Likes

When I tried to look it up in Bookwalker, I actually found the novel version, not the manga. Then I saw you were referring to a manga, but I was too tired to go back and look again…

11 Likes

Belatedly posting for yesterday again.

24/10 8 pages 夜カフェ (to end chapter 9), then 3 pages chapter 10, 16 pages Orange (to end letter), 6 pages シャドーハウス ( to end of week’s reading), 2 pages Tugumi.

So now I’m up to date with everything but 夜カフェ, where I am at least reading this week’s chapter, and Tugumi, which I need to finish in the next week before the next IBC book starts. In 6 clubs which is beginning to get a bit much!

24 Likes

I actually was listening to the audiobook for that and I ended up tapping out from being tired of it going on and on :joy: I just checked and it’s just shy of 44 hours long :scream:

13 Likes

Finished Chainsaw Man Vol. 12 over the weekend. Played a shit ton of 3DS and a decent amount of Persona 5. Started playing on my commute, I am getting worse at maintaining a routine of one game or one book at the moment, but I am at least consistently consuming, which is a plus.

21 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 24

ニャンキーズ 2 Start to 42

I hate this website so much. Since when does the enter button have no purpose?
Basic functionality should not require extra steps.

If I can stop being pissed off for a moment, I’m not understanding the start of this volume well, but it’s bothering me how “other” coded the other gang is in this part. Before when it was just the twins against the protagonists, Ryusei and Tiger, I thought, ok the twins have dreads, maybe they’re meant to look like more modern delinquents? Especially given that Tiger has a very classic look and Ryusei also seems to have a more timeless, but less popular look. But now the boss of the twins has been shown in human form. If I understand it right, she’s a female calico (standard) and one of the plot points is that Ryusei is looking for a male calico cat. However, the boss has been drawn as this common stereotype of how muscular crossdressing men look in anime. So far in this volume, one of her good deeds is talked about, but I’m not a fan of villains being coded as “other” particularly in contrast to the protagonists who are often coded as normal or in-group. I’ll have to read further and I hope this manga doesn’t disappoint me, but it’s not like I planned to buy the 3rd vol. Whether I like it or not just influences whether I’m keeping or reselling it.

22 Likes

I thought Conan was seven?

11 Likes

Crud, I keep thinking ten for some reason! The body’s that of a five- or six-year-old boy, according to the police who found him. I think he tells Ran he’s in the first grade? I’ll confirm when I read later tonight.

11 Likes

October 24 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Just read some more ブルーロック today! I’ve been watching the anime with my partner as well as it’s been coming out, so it’s been fun going back in time and seeing early story things in a new light :eyes:

24 Likes

Only a little bit of time available today, so squeezed in a couple of pages of 死仮面. I should be able to finish off the rest of this week’s book club reading tomorrow. I thought I liked my book setup until I started it and now I’m noticing shortcomings. I don’t have a quick and easy way to browse my highlighted texts or view my notes in iBooks or Apple Books or whatever it’s called. I played around with Yomu but it’s note taking isn’t any better and actually a bit worse.
If anyone has recommendations for iPad apps that fit these criteria I’m all ears!

• Either allows the native iOS dictionary or lets you use your own
  • Allows for highlighting and note taking - and you can easily pull these up from any page
  • Does not limit the number of highlights/notes you can take
  • Allows for loading in your own EPUBs
  • Supports Japanese books (ie, won’t choke on right → left style)
23 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 24th:
:yellow_square: 名探偵コナン (53% → 69%)

Another two chapters read, and another case started as the first one draws to a close. In the end, while the little girl was legitimately kidnapped by some creepy guy who’s never named, she was also fake kidnapped. As it turns out, her father has been working like crazy ever since her mother passed away, and she’s gotten incredibly lonely. So, she convinced the butler to pretend she’s been kidnapped with the condition of her return being that he shuts down his company for a month.

The next chapter begins with Conan getting his first gadget: the bowtie that can alter his voice! I remember this from the show; interesting that he gets it pretty early on (I didn’t know when or where he got it from before this). Ran’s father has received another case, this time from an idol he’s a major fan of. We’ll see how this case goes.

@saidahgilbert Okay, Conan tells Ran he’s 6 years old, and then she asks him if he’s in the 1st grade, to which he says yes. May I finally solidify this information in my brain. :crossed_fingers:

24 Likes

You can find the manga here, if you’re interested:

Looking it up on Wikipedia it seems the first novel came out in 2018 and the first manga in 2020, and there are more novel volumes out than manga volumes, so I guess it’s obvious the novel came first, after all. Still, it’s the kind of premise that probably works better in manga form for me, so I don’t mind. (It’s not specified as a light novel, but I think the premise, the cover, and the fact that it seems to be episodic would probably point towards that direction?)
There’s also a drama based on it. I know nothing about that, but from the poster the choice of actors seems a little jarring. I may be wrong.

13 Likes

Why did they cast people who look like teenagers? :joy:

9 Likes

24 October 2022

:house: Home Post

Taking the transcript pill. As much as I like chainsaw man, I think my time (the little that I have, haha) feels well spent reading more conversational Japanese. This podcast takes the style of teaching about nuances of grammar and various things related to Japan all in Japanese, so on top of being good reading practice I get to learn something. Highly recommend it!

21 Likes

Right? :joy: I guess that’s where the 女性向け comes in, the main characters need to look “cute”? I don’t understand those things at all.

8 Likes