📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:house:
Oct 20

かがみの孤城 58% (page 209)

Missed another day, read two pages today.

26 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 19

ニャンキーズ
88 -

… it seems I read one page… I was really tired yesterday but I thought I’d read at least 3…

23 Likes

A quick update, I had started reading 時をかける少女 on monday night and progressing slowly since, reading about a section or two each day. The set-up is just about done. One of the things I realized that this the first novel I’m reading and while this edition adds furigana and adds illustrations, it doesn’t really change that fact. It is very readable, have to look some words here and there but nothing too bad. I’ve stopped doing reviews just so I can focus on reading while I got used to working, but I might just return to it with jpdb.

23 Likes

Not much reading since I arrived at the new dive place

19/10 1 page 夜カフェ, 1 page Spy Family
20/10 1/2 page 夜カフェ, 6 pages Spy Family

3 dives yesterday, 4 today, but read more today. Maybe because I got into the Spy Family chapter better. Although I’ve posted, I’m probably going to read a bit more before bed.

Edit - 3 more pages Spy Family- need to sleep now

26 Likes

Ahhh exciting! Good luck! I love it when we have first books in these challenges. Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress :smiley:

16 Likes

October 20th!

I read Chapter 9 of Flying Witch today. It was a pretty funny chapter :slight_smile:

I have a super busy weekend again this week - just like last week I’ll be travelling tomorrow and Sunday, and at a wedding on Saturday. It seems everyone has decided October is a good time to get married!

Not breaking my streak over this weekend may be a challenge - but I’m determined to keep it :muscle:
I’m thinking maybe Happiness tomorrow, and one chapter of Shadows House on each of Saturday and Sunday since that worked last weekend!

(Home Post)

22 Likes

Just got this book and hoping to start reading :slight_smile:
Breaking into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text

21 Likes

I have read some zenitendo and yoru cafe before, but they’re series and specifically aimed at certain ages. This is the first self contained story. Now I have seen the anime film adaptation directed by hosoda a long time ago, so it’s not completely new to me, but it’s fuzzy enough that I doubt it will of much help.

Summary

I remembered that it started in the lab and the truck that now feels like it offset the whole isekai genre.

Using the deck on jpdb right now. It’s really just the last 5-10% of of the frequency words that I need to concern myself with, that does cover about 25% of all the vocabulary in the book I’m not sure about knowing. That said of the 100 or so cards I added, there were only about 10-15 that are completely new to me.

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221020 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 57.75% :deciduous_tree:

Master has had too much sake to drink and is talking 出鱈目でたらめ

And that’s chapter 7 complete, another fun and amusing chapter!

The further I get through this the more I’m convinced that Sōseki somehow travelled about 50 years into the future to the postmodern movement in literature, wrote down his findings and travelled back again. The humour and such really feels like that sort of period.

Chapter 8 begins with Wagahai-cat explaining the surrounding grounds.
also, 200,000 characters read!

@pm215 hope you’ve managed to get past chapter 7!

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

蓊鬱「おううつ」ー Overgrown; lush
臥龍「がりゅう」ー Unrecognised genius; exceptional person hidden in the masses
「きり」ー Paulownia/empress tree
「そ」ー Altar of sacrifice (wait… that’s a Slayer song)
俎上「そじょう」ー On the chopping board
梁上の君子「りょうじょうのくんし」ー Thief (old word); mouse

I haven’t even seen that one before :laughing:

25 Likes

Oct 20, Thu of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• かがみの孤城 (上) => less than 1% (start of Ch.2)

I read 1 section of Ch.2; then go back to read Ch.1 from the front cover. I noticed that vocabularies can be inferred meanings much easier; but I still can’t necessarily “read” them.

I got quite a little busy and tired in the evening, that I just want to really rest. I woke up just now.

23 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 20 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

耳をすませば :black_cat:

Tomorrow is the last day of this roof renovation. Guys, I’m so excited! It is gonna be so good to sleep deeply until my alarm goes off, instead of losing the last 1-1.5 hour of sleep. Not to mention, so many other small things.

AND, OF COURSE, I WILL HAVE A REALLY GOOD ROOF AND DON’T NEED TO WORRY ANYMORE.

Anyway, I was way too tired to read yesterday. It seems there are two different times I find it hard to read: overwhelm/stress, and tiredness. But today I read this week’s 耳をすませば. It feels so good to be on top of 3/4 book clubs. As soon as I’ve read all the current assignments for my clubs, Loopers will be next. Will probably be early/middle of next week. Depends on how the weekend develops.

Also having a kitten is sometimes equal amounts annoyance and fantastic. Finding the keyboard interesting is annoying as all hell. Sometimes all I do is keeping barriers between him and the keyboard. And then he’ll go ahead and spend a couple of hours sleeping on me and I just die of cuteness. Good strategy from him since I was close to being really angry about the keyboard walking/attacking.

He’s not dumb. :joy:

29 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 20 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (74% → 82%)

Yay, I reached the epilogue :eyes: :sparkles: Reading in the morning is very effective.

Today’s word: たすき()
It means “tucking up the sleeves of a kimono with a tasuki”, just like Chihiro from Spirited Away.

28 Likes

When I read earlier today Kiro was sleeping on me, but my phone was charging so I couldn’t take a picture. So instead see how he has been sleeping on me for the past hour.

Yes, he is laying in the crook of my arm, like the baby he is.

31 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 20th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Trying to get more done during the day today so I don’t feel as bad about playing p5r all night :sweat_smile:

よつばと!Ch 57, 58
Tae Kim 123 → 127

Also did about 40 minutes of listening practice: I really enjoy watching the おたより segment of ミオちゃん’s monday morning streams (I know it’s already thursday i got behind this week shhh). Lots of good food word and/or seasonal stuff usually, and she puts the tweets/pictures people send her on screen so you can read along with her.

Good Words

清遊「せいゆう」ー excursion (for pleasure)
雑貨「ざっか」ー miscellaneous goods
値段「ねだん」ー price, cost
粉「こな」ー flour, powder
縫いぐるみ「ぬいぐるみ」ー stuffed toy
騙す「だます」ー to trick
不思議「ふしぎ」ー marvelous
ごっこ ー playing at, game of make-believe
失敬「しっけい」ー rudeness

暴力「ぼうりょく」ー violence; mayhem​
秋刀魚「さんま」ー pacific saury, mackerel pike

22 Likes

awww what a cute little munchkin! i love him <3

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 20 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Today, I read 2 pages of ごんぎつね.

Summary

The funeral was for 兵十’s mother. ごん saw the funeral procession and started to reflect on his mischievous behavior since his antics with the eel caused 兵十’s mother to not get to eat the eel, even though that was presumably her dying wish.

Poor ごん :slightly_frowning_face: These illustrations are beautiful though.

26 Likes

Main Post

On October the 20th I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
21 Likes

I started reading 死仮面 as part of the 金田一 book club. Technically it doesn’t start for a few days but I’ll be traveling from tomorrow (just a short trip this time) so want to make sure I’m not scrambling to get it done after the club has already started.

22 Likes

Summary post

Finished my translation of Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Princess show from October 9! I technically finished the first draft on the 18th, so it took me ten days to translate it. Not bad, considering it was almost 10k characters :sweat_smile:. The English translation came out to just over 4.5k words. I think it was the equivalent of translating more than two anime episodes, which is kind of wild to think about.

I split the show into three posts for the pro wrestling thread. Here are the first, second, and third parts.

Here’s a photo from the show. This was from Mizuki vs Hyper Misao, which was a match between the two tag partners of the two wrestlers in the main event (Yuka Sakazaki vs Shoko Nakajima). Like most Misao matches, things got a bit wild, haha.

Mizuki planned for this. As I found out when translating her post-match comments, she went to Sanshiro Takagi (the president of DDT Pro Wrestling as well as CyberFight, the umbrella company that TJPW is part of) before the match to get some advice on how to beat Misao (Takagi inadvertently saved Misao’s life in 2015, and he’s someone whom she both deeply admires as well as considers to be her rival), and he gave her this fire extinguisher, which is a staple in DDT matches. I enjoyed Mizuki customizing it to match her own style, haha.

A story in three parts (click to see the other two):

It ended up being what Mizuki needed to change the tide of the match, and she got the win after a devastating double stomp from the top of a ladder. I can’t resist sharing this photo also, haha. (You can see a bunch of kaiju toys strewn about the ring, which Misao had borrowed from her tag partner and kaiju enthusiast, Shoko).

I got a bit worried for Misao a couple days ago, because she made a few concerning tweets at a very late hour in Japan, which made me wonder if she was going through a bit of a rough patch with her depression and insecurity. I ended up taking some time to compose a supportive tweet (in Japanese) to send her instead of getting more work done on my translations. I told her that her work was so inspiring to me, she’s why I got into TJPW, and is a large part of the reason why I’m learning Japanese now. I’m not sure if she saw the tweet or not, but I hope she knows just how much she’s loved and appreciated by people all over the world.

I’m a bit behind on my translations, since I only just started working on the October 14 show, which was almost a week ago. Thankfully, that show was much shorter than this one, and I only have about 4k characters to translate, which is less than half of what I had to do for Wrestle Princess.

After that, there are three more shows coming up this month in short succession, but I think they’ll all have way less going on than the other two, haha, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to stay a little more caught up!

29 Likes

that’s so kind of you :pleading_face: I’m sure she’ll read it, but maybe not reply if she gets a lot of tweets.

16 Likes