📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221011 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 48.55% :page_with_curl:

Script reading time! …and everyone pulls it apart and points out the problems with the script. Obviously it’s too ‘modern’ for them to understand it properly, it has so many deep layers somewhere

Wagahai-cat also seems to have been forgotten about again, he hasn’t been mentioned for ages.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

透綾「すきや」ー Thin silk material

Forms
倦る = 飽きる「あきる」(to grow tired of; to lose interest in)

29 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 11 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Chapter 8 read and therefore volume 2 finished (except for the chapter of an unrelated story I will read after I’ve caught up with Orange and Loopers). This story is so good. Although a tearjerker. Now 4 chapters behind the club. I should probably have a chance to read 1/2-1 chapter tomorrow. Although, honestly, I’m not sure I’ll be able to stop in the middle of a chapter. This story is on a roll now.

28 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 11, 11th of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Managed to read another of DrDru’s stories, this time it was about a person getting chased by all sorts of things! I wanted to be brave and read more, but once again the switch from the stark black background to the stark yellow background hurt my eyes and I fled, not unlike the person in the story.

I learned the Kanji for fish! On jpdb there is the “old bell” radical that kinda looks like it, so now I have the ridiculous mnemonic of “fish are old bells with more legs” and I instantly know which Kanji I mean! I guess there really is something about ridiculous stories that sticks better.

27 Likes

11 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 23-26)

First episode of the adaptation came out today!

In terms of comprehension, I feel on and off when it comes to actually understanding. Sometimes I can parse the sentences perfectly and if I cross-reference the EN version it matches my own impression, but other times it’s like I’m just sounding out the kanji & hiragana without drawing any meaning at all. But hey, just gonna keep smashing it into my brain and leave it to him to find patterns.

28 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 11 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (39% → 42%)

Only did a read this morning before getting up from bed, which in a tired state was not very efficient, but at least it was something :eyes: :sparkles:

31 Likes

October 11th.

Today I read a chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, which was a cute one.
I also read this weeks BBC reading of half of chapter 3 of 耳をすませば.

(Home Post)

25 Likes

My first thought was “Wow, BBC is now doing Japanese book readings!”
Then I realized you meant Beginners Book Club :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

I always have a second of being confused when other people refer to the Beginners Book Club as the BBC!
I’m so glad its not just me. :grin:

17 Likes

Home post

Day 10:

Priority: :rocket: ミニスカ宇宙海賊 1. ケイン and 百眼 discussing what オデットⅡ世 did when 茉莉香 and チアキ turned on the electronic warfare thing.
Free choice: :wolf: 狼と香辛料 1. ホロ eats potatoes.
Extra: :test_tube: 聖女の魔力は万能です. Overcharged potions unleashed to help hurt soldiers. Kitchen and bath achieved. ( :smiling_face_with_tear: magic > cooking)
Read-aloud: :volleyball: ハイキュー 5. 日向 gets his first official volleyball win.

26 Likes

I’m trying to get back into learning Japanese, and I LOVE this idea! I’ll be using graded readers because my skills have fallen into complete nothingness. Starting this on October 11th, 2022.

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
[/quote]
33 Likes

On October the 11th I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
25 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home post

10月11日

• ルーパーズ

Quick update! Some 2500 characters.

27 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 11th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

For the sake of having more pointless data, I decided to try to get an average page character count for よつばと!today: seems to be somewhere around 55/page from what felt like an average density chapter. So an average chapter is probably somewhere around 1300 characters – More than I expected!

Read chapters 38, 39, 40, and 41, finishing volume 6! Like I said yesterday, being able to read while playing runescape is a huge buff for me lmao. Some of the afk grinds in this game are easily 150-200 hours long, having something to do alongside them is very nice, and that something might as well be reading in japanese.

May also come back and do another reading session later, I still feel like I could read more today, even.

Good Words

いつも通り「いつもどおり」 ー as always, as usual
部長「ぶちょう」ー head, director, chief
歯磨き「はがみき」ー teeth brushing
貼る = 張る「はる」ー to stick, to paste
冷蔵庫「れいぞうこ」ー fridge
どうせ ー anyhow, in any case
低脂肪乳「ていしぼうにゅう」ー low fat milk
出発「しゅっぱつ」ー departure, leaving (this is one of my wk leeches, seeing it in context might finally help it stick lmao)
赤とんぼ「あかとんぼ」ー small red dragonfly
よいしょ ー “heave ho”
はらへった ー I’m hungry (colloquial)
靴「くつ」ー shoes
鑢「やすり」ー file (tool)
本棚「ほんだな」ー bookshelf
端材「はざい」ー waste wood
謹慎「きんしん」ー home confinement (appears to be used similar to ‘being grounded’ here)
逮捕「たいほ」ー arrest
やって見る ー to have a go at, to try something
印「しるし」ー mark, sign
奥行き「おくゆき」ー depth (here, bookshelf depth)

a n g e r y

29 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 11 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

I got some physical books from my wonderful dear irl friend! Today, I read the first page of ごんぎつね. It took me a while to get through it lol with how much I had to look up words to understand what was going on. So far, all I’ve got is that this is a story about ごん, who is a mischievous little fox that lives near a mountain. I might have to focus more on just reading rather than translating every single thing that I don’t know, and fill in the blanks with context clues. I’m enjoying the pretty drawings in the book though! And it’s been a ton of fun to read, even though it’s only been one page.

28 Likes

That story gave me a lot of feels. Probably my favorite kids story in Japanese so far. It’s required reading in a lot of elementary schools as I understand it.

18 Likes

October 11 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Not super eventful, just finished off another ブルーロック chapter! Still dealing with a little residual busyness but we’re getting there :muscle:

27 Likes

I only read a handful of pages in 天使の傷跡, and it left me wondering if 異世界の名探偵 is harder because I breezed through 10 pages of 天使の傷跡 in maybe 15 minutes but it took me maybe half an hour for the same with the latter.
I suppose one thing to consider is that the ipad is just plain bigger so may be showing more text per ‘page’. And if it’s not the amount of text it could also be the vocab - I’m not at all used to fantasy vocab which 異世界の名探偵 has a healthy helping of, but I’m very used to crime vocab and old kanji so I’m breezing past things like 強請、此処, and 矢張り but having to pause to look up 聖騎士 (which I think is read せいきし, or at least my IME accepted that writing :sweat_smile:). There’s also a huge temptation (that I often give into) to double check my reading of a kanji while using the ipad, whereas when reading paperback I tend to just casually trust that I’m getting things mostly right.
Huh. Food for thought regarding my reading habits.

A bit bummed I didn’t get more reading done today but I had two hours back to back tutoring after work and also was chatting back and forth with someone about a possible new type of book club?! :smiley: Will provide more details sometime this week. Those who have seen @NicoleIsEnough and my discussion in another thread may have already had it spoiled :joy:

27 Likes

I’m intrigued :eyes: (As if I don’t already have tons of stuff to read)
And this discussion happened in another thread on this forum you say? Did it self-destruct afterwards? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

12 Likes

I don’t want to say too much when there’s a lot up in the air, but the general idea can be summarized as “get Japanese people who want to learn English into a book club with English speaking Japanese learners”. The who and how is being nailed down but any incarnation I’m excited for!

15 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 11th:
:red_square: 魔女の宅急便 (still not even a percent → .5%, which isn’t nothing)

Naturally, I once again read right before bed. :upside_down_face: If I were to only look at positives, I’d say that hey, I finished Chapter 1. And I mean, I certainly remember when I struggled with it last time. Now, do I just happen to remember the contents of this chapter and can therefore surmise what some of these words mean, or do I actually remember the vocabulary? It’s probably both.

On a different note, the idea mentioned at the end of the chapter that your black cat finds its own mate once you marry: frankly, this sounds like a deal breaker to me. How could I part ways with my furry little companion that I’ve been with since the day I was born? Dating would be nonexistent. “We have chemistry, but what about this little guy who I get to pet and snuggle, and also FREAKING TALK TO?!” Now, if my familiar was the one who proposed the idea because they found someone, well, I would want what’s best for them, even if the end result broke my fragile heart. :pleading_face: Other than that, no contest. :black_cat:

28 Likes