📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:Javerend’s Home Post:jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:

Current Reading Streak: 103 days (as of 12/31)

Hello! I am new to the forums but have been a wanikani/natively user for a little over a year. I have been looking to start doing more reading recently, and this seemed like a good opportunity to start! Joining a little late, but I have already been reading every day for a few weeks now.

I will also be keeping track of my readings over on my Natively profile.

My goals for this challenge are to finish reading all 15 volumes of よつばと!and move on to a harder series (I am also doing the level+1 challenge with series on natively, so I will be moving on to a level 19 after. Probably しろくまカフェ). Also just in general I’d like to have fun while doing this! I’m not focusing too much on sentence mining unless words/grammar seem particularly important, and if I don’t understand something entirely but get the general vibe I’m trying to just move on quickly instead of digging.

Currently reading:
Manga: ホリミヤ 6 (goal is at least 1 ch per day)
Textbook: 新完全マスタ 日本語能力試験N3 (trying to do a few pages per day, but we’ll see)

:jack_o_lantern: 10月 :jack_o_lantern:
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
:maple_leaf: 11月 :maple_leaf:
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
:christmas_tree: 12月 :christmas_tree:
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
33 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 2 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Read two short stories today. First one was 何を飲みますか?, and the second one was . Both are level 0 books on Tadoku. The simplicity of the books has me wondering if I should move on to harder books on the website lol! I’ll need to dig around on the website and see what other kinds of books are on there.

28 Likes

October 2 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Alright, day 2 went a bit better! I’m still a bit thrown off by various life happenings, but I managed to sit down and have some chill time reading ブルーロック today :tada: Actually getting back into it, it’s definitely just as fun and wild as I remember, so it was really nice to actually read a few chapters! Small victories :muscle:

27 Likes

Read more 青ブタ9, much easier to read than JK T-T (still not over it). Will play Danganronpa V3 later. Finally learned 悠長(ゆうちょう)which is used a lot and I never knew what it meant before.

25 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 2nd:jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Read chapter 23 of よつばと!This was a pretty dense chapter, probably the hardest one to read since the very first. Even knowing a little bit of fishing terminology from どうぶつの森 I had to stop and look up a lot of vocab for things as ジャンボさん was teaching them how to catch and clean the fish. A lot of it used one or two kanji I already knew, so I had some idea of what they were saying in context (背骨 being ‘backbone’ for example) but it definitely slowed down my reading quite a bit. I do like fishing though, so I was still enjoying it.

I also played a little bit of どうぶつの森, I had a backlog of stuff to donate to フータさん from the last few days, which is always a struggle to work through at my reading level. Running around and catching a bunch of アキアカネ was fun though :grin:

29 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 2nd:
:orange_square: とつくにの少女1(14% → 35%)

Little by little, more is being revealed about the world that シーヴァ and せんせ live in. He’s cursed, and she’s forbidden from touching him, lest she become infected with it. At this point in time, there’s no cure. She made a flower crown for her aunt for whenever they meet again, and she made one for him, too. :face_holding_back_tears: After she went to bed, せんせ went into the forest and found something quite spooky and disturbing. The art style made it a little difficult to make the whole picture out, but I in general I understand what he found. シーヴァ is also just a little cutie. They had a bit of a tea party (せんせ doesn’t eat or drink, so it was really just for her own enjoyment), and afterward she wants him to read her a story. The way she glances up at him is adorable. :blush:

The panel

29 Likes

Keeping up with things while traveling is tough. I read all but the last… 10-15 pages of the mystery book club book which my phones keyboard refuses to populate the right kanji for and I’m too tired to individually search for. I’ll probably finish the book tomorrow morning but I’m beat today! :sleeping:

28 Likes

Sorry for the off-topic question, but I know we have some Spanish speakers/readers in here, and my question is about books, so I thought I’d try asking. :books:
Does anyone have recommendations for good mystery/suspense novels in Spanish, for a friend who’s learning Spanish at a good enough level to read not-too-literary books? Humour is also greatly appreciated, but I’m not talking about cozy mysteries, rather a suspenseful book with a complex enough plot that keeps you guessing (and possibly worrying) till the end. As an example, the Spanish translation for 三毛猫ホームズの推理 (Los misterios de la gata Holmes) has been a good fit.
Thanks for any input! :pray:

And to stay on topic, I’ve started reading the third and last story in 化身. It’s called 幸せという名のインコ and it seems to be about an all-white cockatiel called Happy. Reviews say it’s the scariest of the three stories, so I’m curious how it goes.

31 Likes

October 1
Yotsuba Chapter 1
October 2
Yotsuba Chapter 2

26 Likes

This is my first time doing this challenge, so I’m going to try my best :smile:

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
[/quote]
31 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 2 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

夜カフェ :cake:

Didn’t get to reading until late. So only read 3,5 pages of 夜カフェ chapter 7 (current chapter being read with the off-shoot club). Can already tell there will be a lot of drama in this chapter.

@windupbird You are always reading such cute manga.

@natarin I just wanted to say, it has been inspiring to see you read every day as you got busy, even if it was only a little, maybe especially since even a little seemed fine by you. I hope I can do as well now that I’m once again committed to every day. (The off month turned into a true off month for me :joy:)

27 Likes

I don’t usually read suspense (more fantasy, historical, or romance), but I googled it in Spanish and found a few articles that you could send to your friend.

1. https://www.hola.com/seleccion/20211020197694/mejores-libros-de-misterio/
  2. Los 12 Mejores Libros de Misterio | Comprateunlibro.com
  3. https://infolibros.org/libros-recomendados/mejores-libros-suspenso/

I hope there’s something on there that looks good to them! I’m sorry I can’t be more specific.

19 Likes

:house:
Oct 3

かがみの孤城 44%

Just managed to read one page, but I’m at the end of a section and it’s already late, so I’ll stop here for today.

28 Likes

Day 3 - I didn’t have much reading time, but since Tugumi has become a bit easier to read, I managed 6 pages, plus 4 pages of Spy Family.

At this rate I should finish last week’s reading of Tugumi tomorrow, which will be the closest I’ve been to catching up for a while!

I’m slightly neglecting the other clubs but have an 8 hour flight on Friday. All the books are online except Tugumi, and I probably can’t fit it in the hand luggage! (I have a lot of camera gear in my bag…)

29 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to look! Much appreciated!

13 Likes

Home

I read ch 1 (17 pages of text) of 夜カフェ yesterday. I like Ryouma so far, but also I do tend to have a fondness for characters who are clearly neurodivergent like him. I had intended to read at least a little bit more, but I ended up spending a bunch of time writing over 1300 words of fic for a pairing I’d never considered before because of a single interaction in a short group chat section of another fic I’m writing. Why am I like this.

I had actually almost grabbed ステージ・オブ・ザ・グラウンド, a baseball LN illustrated by ひのた (mangaka of 晴れのち四季部) which is how I discovered it, but I was a good girl and grabbed the book club book I need to catch up on instead. If I’m gonna be starting a new novel before finishing any of the others I have started already, I should at least get the book club one(s) out of the way first, right

Some vocab of note:

今か今か (いまかいまか) [と-adv.] eagerly (waiting); (waiting) impatiently

27 Likes

Home・10月2日 continued

Read two more chapters of シャドーハウス 3 before the day ended. Every chapter I keep thinking “oh it’s getting interesting” and I’m waiting for it to reach its peak but it still seems to be building up the mystery. I’m thinking volume 3 is going to end on a massive cliffhanger, and I’ll have no choice but to invest in the series…

10月3日
Read chapter 38 of シャドーハウス 3. Well those pages were interesting… Is this going to turn into some kind of a battle royale?

I also read chapters 70 and 71 of 極主夫道 8. I accidentally fell asleep while waiting for Tan-chan to fall asleep so I didn’t get a chance to read any non-manga books today. However, PokeSpe also arrived today so I’m currently eyeing them…

27 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221003 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 40.71% :crossed_swords:

Wagahai-cat devises a highly complex plan to conquer the mice menace, he scopes out the battlefield (the kitchen) and plans every detail like a military operation. He even likens himself to Admiral Tōgō, and that his hardships in this mouse-hunt are on par to the Admiral’s.

There is no way that a mouse will get the better of him now, he will definitely catch one, but for now he needs some rest before the going to war with the mice.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

ステッキ ー Walking stick; cane
朧月「おぼろづき」ー Hazy moon (especially in spring) (new favourite word)

Congrats! :tada:

29 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 3 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

夜カフェ :cake:

Read only a couple of more pages today. It is definitely turning out to be an emotionally heavy chapter, and it just keeps getting worse, so I honestly didn’t feel like reading more. I might read something else later, although if I do, it’ll probably be the English novel I’m currently reading (Billy Summer by Stephen King).

Man, I just want this chapter of yoru cafe to be over, but I also don’t want to have to read it. :sweat:

26 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home post

10月01日

• ルーパーズ

10月02日

• ルーパーズ (end of chapter 11)

Updating the previous days now because I keep reading at late night and have absolutely no energy afterwards :smiling_face_with_tear: . Great start of the challenge so far! With the catch up of the couple chapters I had to do of ルーパーズ recently, I’ve been super into it and reading quite a lot of it lately. Managed to finish this last chapter in two or three sittings and it’s the longest we’ve had so far with 13000 characters so I’m pretty happy with that. I got curious, if anyone knows, what’s the average character number in a novel page?

I installed FF XV the other day just out of curiosity because I have it shared on Steam and played for a little bit. I might actually continue playing it but I need to watch a movie before that one of these days. I also re-installed Genshin Impact the other day, started it a long time ago but I made a new account because I want to play it fully in Japanese this time, we’ll see how that goes. The visuals and music in this game are absolutely gorgeous.

I tried using Game2Text for Genshin but it was terrible, it didn’t pick up anything because the text background is usually not black. To my surprise I tried the OCR of ShareX, the program I use to grab screenshots and audio for the Anki cards and it’s an absolute beast. It got everything I tried 100% accurate, so I’ll be definitely using that for the games where Game2Text doesn’t work, and for the VNs where Textractor doesn’t work either, like Zero Escape (I tried it but couldn’t get it to work in that one, if anyone did I’d appreciate some help!).

28 Likes