📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: November 7 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

耳をすませば・幸せな時間 :black_cat:

In my release of 耳をすませば, it has the sequel short story 幸せな時間, and I’m reading this with the offshoot club, that will likely be rather short because short story. All I’ll say here is that I keep enjoying this manga. I had no idea what I was diving into when I decided to join the club. I still haven’t seen Whisper of the Heart—I will soon :tm:. Being an older manga I was afraid the storytelling would be stilted or off-putting, but no. Super enjoyable.

The pacing of the original was perhaps a bit rushed, turns out this was due to its low popularity at the time, so I guess the publisher asked to have it cut short. The opening sure suggested a different pacing, but honestly, I barely noticed the “rushed” ending. It was that well done, imo. ^^

23 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 38, 7th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

A really short story from DrDru today, the mines of Moria! Good thing too, because once again it is getting too late in the day for my brain.

22 Likes

November 7 :heavy_check_mark: :maple_leaf:

秋の牢獄, start-7%

I had only a little reading time today, but luckily the book is a breeze to read so far. We fittingly started reading today, as the first story is about a girl who keeps reliving November 7. Not much has happened yet, but it’s promising.

I’d like to continue reading it tomorrow, but I’ll probably switch to 体育館の殺人 - there’s a mystery to solve, after all!

23 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 7 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (40% → 44%)

Today’s chapter was good. Spoilers: Probably me reading way too much into it, but it had my favorite “ship”, so I enjoyed the interactions going on. I can only hope that there’ll be development later. Ferdinand is so cool :eyes: :sparkles:

Just reading and enjoying a good book is very chill right now during busy-busy times.

Today I learned! :exploding_head:

24 Likes

tofugu’s article on を has a good introduction to the idea in the ‘Beyond the Basics’ section, though it doesn’t talk about 上がる specifically.

13 Likes

November 7th!

Today I read chapter 44 of Mitsuboshi Colors. It was about making a rubber band gun out of disposable chopsticks, and now I kind of want to make one :grin:

I also read Chapter 15 of Orange. I’m really loving this story, it deals with a lot of really tough topics very well.
I’m also enjoying how much easier I’m finding it to read now that I’m reading the 4th volume, compared to the start of Volume 1 where I was really worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the club because I found it so tough. Its still not an easy read for me, but I can really feel the difference.

(Home Post)

22 Likes

Today I read four more pages of Konosuba light novel. Now they have become good at fighting frogs and discovered that frog monster meat is actually tasty.

18 Likes

Main Post

On November the 6th I didn’t read anything because I wasn’t feeling very well.

On November the 7th I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
20 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 7

人間椅子 15-20%

I got hit with sleepiness last night. I’m really hoping to either make major progress today or read a lot of JoJo. I should really winterize my apartment though >-< That requires cleaning up my floors though and I have all my Halloween stuff out yet… I wonder if getting more rugs and reflectors for my kitchen and entryway would help too…

21 Likes

Are you doing a solo read aloud or with a group?

7 Likes

Solo. It’s a re-read as well. And a lot of misses, probably I should compare with native recording.

10 Likes

Ah ok. 頑張って! I was going to ask about joining if it was a group effort

7 Likes

07 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapters 48-51)

22 Likes

Home post

Day 37:

Priority: :x:

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人.

Snatches of: :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団.

24 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 7th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Big mail day today, got a lot of the stuff I was ordering for people’s christmas gifts, plus some manga and fun stuff for me. I finally got to dig into these mysterious CDs that were included with the はちゅねミクの日常ろいぱら! manga volumes and man I wonder if adobe knew how much pain they were causing when they ended flash support. The CDs contain both playable audio that doesn’t appear to be anywhere on the internet, and also have local html files to run a little website from the cd. This series ran from 2007 to 2011, and the songs are credited to a producer who hasn’t released any real music since around that time as well. They contain some color versions of the comics, some wallpapers (even some in 4:3 aspect ratio :joy: ), and also a little flash animation! As far as I know there is nothing about these anywhere online, so I may rip the isos and upload them somewhere for archival purposes. Definitely one of the weirder things I’ve come across.

CD Contents

Main Page

Web Comic Dir for this volume

Some mobile wallpapers with download links

A short flash animation music video, can’t play in browser but the swf file is on the disc so you can run it in flash projector to watch the movie

One of the discs has this cute little board game print-out on it!

Read:

• Tae Kim 192 → 200 – honorific and humble forms, prolly gonna need some review on these at some point, I wish there were furigana included here since it would make it a lot easier to connect to places I know I’ve probably seen these, but the forms of these kanji are unfamiliar. Some of the set expressions were familiar though. いらっしゃいませ finally makes a little bit of sense :sweat_smile:
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapter 14 – I am exhausted, just one chapter for now I think. I did start really noticing causative and passive forms when they were being used though!
Good Words

青春「せいしゅん」ー youth, springtime of one’s life, adolescence

Replies

You should!! It’s absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time. I can’t say how it compares to the manga (haven’t read it yet), but it’s in the handful of movies I pick up whenever I need to cozy up with some blankets and just feel good.

Sometimes it really blows me away how much content y’all have put together for these book clubs. Definitely one of the most impressive japanese learning sources I’ve ever seen anywhere, full stop. I’m sure I’ll dig into these eventually, added one of his collections to my reading list!

26 Likes

I finished the main story of 死仮面 for the 金田一 book club and there remains a short story left in the book to finish the next two weeks. I enjoyed it, although I admit not as much as I’d hoped. I think this is not one of his most famous/beloved works, though, and it seems unfair to judge this random one against impressions from other stories.

I’m officially caught up with book club reading that is strictly scheduled for a few more days, so I guess I’ll read 秋の牢獄 tomorrow and be a bit more leisurely

24 Likes

November 7 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Got distracted by other stuff so just read about a chapter of ブルーロック, nothing too crazy. I mean ブルーロック is always wild but just like… normal levels :joy:

23 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

November 7th:
:red_square: おばちゃんたちのいるところ (4% → 5%)

Tried to make a little more headway into this book. So far my reading experience has been moments of slowly parsing each word out and putting them all together, followed by breezing through some sentences, and then once more halting in order to parse. The narrator seems like quite the character so far, though. :grin:

26 Likes

I’m going very slowly! I’m hoping I can pick up the pace once I’m more into the writing style etc.

8 Likes

:house:
Nov 8

人間椅子 27% (page 9)

The percentage change was sort of odd today, but I’m at 27% now I think? I also reread one page, not realising I’d read it previously.

23 Likes