🐶 わんわん探偵団 🕵 Home Thread - Doggy Detectives!

Hi! I have a question about Kobo JP eBooks: do you need a separate JP account / VPN / forwarding address / Japanese credit card?

(I really wish these forums had threaded replies, I feel like I’m derailing the thread, sorry about that :pensive:)

I’ve only downloaded the free Shin Chan volume, but that required none of those things!

edit: come to think of it, I did make up a Japanese address :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not a problem at all ^-^

2 Likes

This thread is about getting people into reading Japanese books - info about accessing Japanese e-books is wholly pertinent to that goal.

2 Likes

I’ve asked here on Kitsun about collaboration…

1 Like

Japanese vs Other Region accounts: You do need separate accounts to buy from both their Japanese store and a non-Japanese region store. There is a feature to combine logins, but the intended use is to combine two or more separate logins from one region. (I combined a US account and a Japanese account and after a while that ultimately broke my ability to buy anything from the US store until I contacted support and it took a while for them to fix it and get my accounts unlinked again.)

You can easily log out of one account and into another on the Kobo app or desktop software, but you lose all your downloads, and have to redownload them again when you log back in to the prior account.

VPN: I am in the US, and I do not need a VPN.

Forwarding address: You do need a Japanese address and phone number. I used a random Japanese web site that generates real-looking fake addresses and phone numbers and have been able to use the service without any issues. Your experience and results may vary. Buyer beware.

Japanese credit card: I don’t own a credit card, but I do have a debit card that can be used on MasterCard’s system. It works for me just fine with Kobo. (For reference: My debit card works with Nintendo’s Japanese 3DS eshop, but does not work with Nintendo’s Japanese Switch eshop.) My credit union has a (very small) international fee tacked on to my Japanese Kobo purchases.

File format: Kobo uses EPUB format. However, files are saved as DRM’d “KEPUB” format. I use a program I bought for $50 that strips the DRM from any Kobo books I download into the Kobo Windows desktop application. It’s possible Callibre can handle this, but I couldn’t get it working.

5 Likes

This looks fun, and I think it’ll line up perfectly with my studying with the more relaxed pace and the breaks.

I’ve never joined a book club here before, I’m excited to try this! Do I have to have read the pages by the start of the week or the end of the week? For example, should I have read pgs 6-10 by April 6th? Or start reading them on the 6th?

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed information! The process looks quite similar to my current one with amazon (including similar pitfalls), and I assume that once you’re set up it’s quite fine.

I already have a (free) process for de-DRM’ing protected ePubs from the FR store (only for personal archives - I happily buy books but the freedom to use any device is important to me). I use Adobe Digital Editions to get the real ePub and Calibre to de-DRM and manage books on my devices.

I might try and get set up on Kobo, and compare the quality of a cheap manga I already have. Thanks again!

The latter - April 6th is the start date for when we start to read pages 6 - 10. I will post the discussion thread for those pages on the 6th, and people will be able to discuss those pages throughout the week.

Glad to have you with us! :dog:

2 Likes

Oh! I meant to ask people - how did you find the breaks between stories for Kitty Detectives?

1 Like

I’m interested in trying this. (Though I clicked the different option in the poll, because I also do very much like clicking things)… I’d love to get it as an ebook, but I’m wondering which format bookwalker and Kobo sell the ebook as. I’ve got an ereader that reads ePUB, not kindle format.
Hope someone can help!

There’s was a short conversation about this further up - looks like Kobo definitely uses ePUB, and the DRM can be removed fairly easily, while BookWalker can’t (I’m not totally clear whether they use ePUB format, but I think they do - hopefully somebody can confirm).

Also, the second option is “I just like clicking things”, implying that you like clicking things but don’t want to read the book, whereas the first option involves clicking and wanting to read the book :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Great :+1:t2: even though I didn’t have any problems reading along according to the schedule, I was glad to get a break or two in between, especially around holiday season.

Oh can you maybe add a link to the club thread in the first post? (Just wanted to quickly get to the thread by clicking when I noticed there’s no link in the first post.)

1 Like

Ahaha, I was already editing the OP to do this when you posted :grin: I thought the conversation about eBook format had taken place in the club thread, and I too was irritated to find there was no link when I wanted to check :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try Kobo then!

1 Like

While I still didn’t manage to keep up, it would have been so much worse without the breaks. Breaks are good!

1 Like

No problem! It might be useful to take a look at this comment (and the one it’s replying to):

For me they were torture LOL :grin: I really enjoyed the stories, so having to wait before starting a new one was killing me. I don’t want to be selfish though, if the breaks help people keep up and take part in discussions, I’m all for them :hugs:

1 Like

… I’m gonna take that as a good sign :grin:

@Abstormal - you’re joining us for this one? :star_struck:

2 Likes

I will!!! =D
I got the set, so want to read them all! =D
I am so glad we are doing it together, I struggle with them on my own. But with everyones help I manage to understand enough to really enjoy them =^_^=

I hope to re-read them again later when I’m better and hopefully be able to understand it and see how much I’ve grown!

2 Likes