Re Zero Volume 6 After reading discussion

Just that it’s easier to just time skip a character so that you don’t have to explain his psychological growth. For example in this book we can see Subaru changing mental state and passing from hope to despair to nihilism etc. If you just time skip then you don’t need to explain all that. You just do : “after a few year he became that and that”. No need to go deep into the mental state just that he did it somehow and that now he his that way or another. I hope it is more clear.

1 Like

No, I still don’t get it. Why would you time skip character development?
Also, the things you are talking about already happened :thinking:
Have a skip to a point where the hero is better equipped to deal with his problems doesn’t solve the problems themselves.
Also, at the very least, it would be great if we could skip to a point where he can read.

1 Like

That is what you said though.

I mean the part that you want to skip is him becoming stronger mentally and physically so yeah he will solve a lot of his problem. He can’t fight? Time skip he is now OP. He can’t read? Time skip he can. He is emotionally unstable? Time skip he is not anymore. No need to details what happened during the time skip. And the fact that he have trouble solving his problem is a huge part of the book. You can’t just remove it. If he could be super well equipped at at this point in time he would not need his power. The rhythm is also important as we said previously. He doesn’t have time to think it through he needs to act fast. His power is really useful for that. His power matches the rapidly developing events. There is always something going on so he can’t just leave a few years for training.

Maybe you don’t agree but for me, there is too much thing going on and too much think to lose by time skipping at this moment in the story.

1 Like

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. My point was “he is level 1 and solved the quests available, so there’s only grinding left? Skip to level 2”. You are saying “he is level 1? Skip to level 100”. I kept wondering why you would think level 2 is OP.

That’s how he learned ロ characters :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, I’m thinking about after things slow down. Could have been by leaving the place, could be by finishing the arc. Because we know the future, it will be by finishing the arc.

Well, that’s out of context. Again, I’m talking about the grind. I understand the point of showing key moments in character progression, but grinding is painful to watch.

Edited to add: you should really read Robin Hobb, by the way. She uses time skips masterfully, and they do not solve problems, nor make the characters OP. :wink:

3 Likes

I see the problem now. We were not looking at the same progress level. I was sure you were talking about a few years’ time skips but it seems that you mean something like a few weeks or so which makes more sense. I don’t know why in my head I thought I read you wanted a few years to skip. Makes more sense thanks for the explanation.

Oh! now I get the joke you made before. Since I do not know Robin Hobb any recommended book from her?

3 Likes

I mentioned years, which might have caused the confusion, but that was mostly assuming a slow progression rate or no progression at all. It could be done in a few weeks as well, depending how the author feels about it. That being said, in the context of him running away from his problems (and Rem not stopping him), a decade could go by and he would still be mentally at the same point. Anyway, that’s not relevant to the current situation since it didn’t happen :sweat_smile: (I kinda want to see that if-chapter now though).
In any case, yes, we agree that he should not jump to OP (I don’t even think he can be OP even with a 20 years DBZ training montage, but that’s beside the point)

All of them :stuck_out_tongue: she basically wrote one giant saga.
The major time skip I had in mind is between book 6 and 7 iirc

3 Likes

Ok then. I don’t know when I will do it though I’m already not having that much free time these days. All my free time goes into Japanese. I will try to look into it

2 Likes

I finished the book :slight_smile:

It probably almost goes without saying, but I really liked the last two chapters. The first ones were also nice… the only one I felt was a bit slow was chapter four, mainly towards the end, but the rest of the book made up for it. I also like that this volume ended on a more hopeful note than the last two.

Anyway, one more volume + some pages left before I’m caught up!

5 Likes

You really read it fast. Keept it up

2 Likes

Congrats! :partying_face:

Yes! :heart:

4 Likes