Re Zero Volume 16 Discussion thread

While tools like that are awesome, you just need to recognize ていた as the past form of ている and work out that the verb is こぼす, which you can then look up in any dictionary.

4 Likes

Yes I did that, but right now I went back on Jisho (what I had written yesterday in the search bar was saved) and I realised that the reason why I couldn’t find it was because I had made a spelling mistake :slightly_smiling_face:

~searches on google how to disappear from the face of the earth~

3 Likes

That can happen :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That seems like the pictures at the beginning of the book. I would recommend not looking at them before reading since they can spoil stuff

4 Likes

Oh no, I absolutely hate spoilers, I already skipped the character introductions, but I didn’t know this was too :weary:

Ok, I’ll go forward :dash:

3 Likes

Heartwarming that you’re finally suggesting what I was preaching for a couple years :star_struck:
If you want to go more extreme, also don’t look at the chapter names in the table of contents :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Roger!

Not like I can understand them anyways. Kanji ignorance is bliss :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ha ha what can I say? Especially the picture you saw was a huge cliffhanger you spoiled. I read the last book without looking at the pictures and it was more fun I don’t read them before anymore.

3 Likes

I never really got why they don’t insert those pictures at the appropriate place in the book where they’re supposed to be.

4 Likes

Maybe because if you want to sample the book they only show the first few pages… Maybe?

3 Likes

I hate that that’s the standard in all light novels. A part of the reason is to entice the reader to buy/read the volume because the sample only covers the first few pages. I understand though, I sometimes like it for new novels I’m attempting, but it’s just spoilers for me after the 1st volume.

4 Likes

I have a similar complaint with movie trailers. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah anime trailers are usually only the first couple episodes so I don’t mind much, but movie trailers just ruin the whole thing.

1 Like

This is such a wholesome Anti-Spoiler discussion, I wholly approve :grin:

2 Likes

Having color pages at the beginning of the book also happens often for high end (and some older) manga. I thought that, for light novel, since they have nothing special to add color to, they just moved illustrations there instead.
In terms of book making, it’s easier to have everything at the front or back. I don’t know why they aren’t in the back instead, it might be for the reason you mentioned but that sounds weird to me.

Edit: it’s much older than manga! They are called 口絵, and, traditionally, they are used to (re)introduce the characters and their personality by showing them “in action”, so to speak (source: wikipedia; it’s hard to put links on mobile).

4 Likes

I finally made it this far :weary: about to start this volume next week! Honestly, comparing the difficulty of re zero to some other Light novels, I’m glad I got the extra practice in by taking my time and reading something else as well.

5 Likes

I’m starting today! Hopefully I can get some assistance along the way. Wish there was a proper “break up” like the regular bookclubs, but I get 16 volumes, discussion only is more practical.

I only read the first couple pages but I was having a hard time piecing together when this was taking place. So it’s a year after the events of the last volume and they’re at a mansion, but not the masion from the first part of the story which if I remember correctly was destroyed in the last arc?

If you meant multiple thread per book, it was decided to be one per book because very few people were reading it to that point.

I think it is the newly rebuild mansion but it’s been a long time so I could be wrong. Either that or a mansion from someone else.

1 Like

I am still reading pretty early on I’ll probably get it a little later or not care at all xD
Details like that help my brain imagine things easier but its not like the original mansions location made any change in my understanding.

Edit: I’m guessing Roswaal is having a “new year new me!” approach, so there’s a cat named ミミ and a new mansion.

I’ll keep my replies to when I finish a chapter to not overwhelm everyone with my tomfoolery.

I am at subchapter 4 of chapter 1. I need some clarification on what’s happening.

So Otto became some sort of internal administrator? And he’s having trouble writing about some Holy Land for リュースーさん. Garfel is tipsy after drinking (15 is the age limit in this world) and is writing a letter to his grandma to show support. Subaru wants to do the same but doesn’t have anything to say or write about.

Am I getting this correct so far? I am only halfway done with the subchapter.