Re Zero book club home thread

I think this would be pretty hard for me if I didn’t prelearn a lot of the vocab, but since I did I’d say it’s like 7/10 with 10 being impossible to read. I feel like I understand like 95% but there’s also the distinct possibility that I’m retarded and just think I know what I’m reading.

3 Likes

A lot of people seem to say things like this, or at least worry about something like that happening, but I’ve never really personally thought I’ve understood something and then turned out to be completely wrong(I did think so once, but that was just due to a bad translation making me think so).

I wonder if making that mistake actually happens much at all or if people just worry a lot unnecessarily :thinking:

There’s a lot of unique vocab which is making it take longer to read, but otherwise it’s not too bad. I imagine that should get better as we keep reading and I learn more of the vocab too, so it’ll probably be fine

3 Likes

Happen two or three times already. Don’t try to guess the end of the sentence before reading it. Your brain will make it so that you prediction is right

2 Likes

I don’t really do that(aside from my brain doing it automatically, but then I can just go back and reread if it doesn’t make sense with how I read it), so maybe it comes down to a difference in reading style then :woman_shrugging:. That’s also not really on a level where it seems like it’d affect someone’s overall understanding of the plot though

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be able to keep up with this one unfortunately. The prologue and part 1 were fine, but the start of Part 2 is terrifying. It’s almost like it’s in a different language.
I’ll still try my best but it’s about as hard as the Girl Who Leapt Through Time was about seven months ago at this point.

3 Likes

Wait, so you are reading ahead, then?
If so, you don’t need to worry. You can try to puzzle it out first, then ask questions in two weeks.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant the individual parts, not chapters, so I’m still half way through week 1’s reading (which was up to part 4).
(I’m up to page 14 on the physical book, I’ve never come across so much pieces of vocab that I’ve never seen before, so I might have to take a break to do some FloFlo for a little bit).

2 Likes

Yeah, rereading as new facts come up that disagree with how you read a previous sentence really helps with comprehension.

6 Likes

Just some litte messages.

1-We are now ending the test drive and entering the real challenge. I hope you are all ready for it :slight_smile:

2-for those who are doing the reading aloud, we are currently at 1 hour and a half for 20 pages. Since we will be almost doubling the ammount of page would you prefer to only read a certain ammount of time, only parts, or all of it.

For the reading aloud I would like:

• Read it all and just leave if I have stuff to do
  • Only read a certain for a certain ammount of time
  • Only read specific part

0 voters

3- @Naphthalene Can you give me the page for next week before next Sunday plz?
4 - This week reading is out go check it out Re zero Volume 1 Week 3

2 Likes
  • Until the end of part 5 of chapter 2: 37 pages of text.
  • Until the end of chapter 3: 33 pages of text
  • Until the end of part 6 of chapter 4: 36 pages of text
  • Until the end of part 2 of chapter 5: 35 pages
  • Until the end of chapter 5: 35 pages of text
  • Until the end: 11.5 pages

So, 6 more weeks then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow that was quick ha ha. Thanks a lot for your hardwork

Edit: Just realized but we only have 9 week on that book. That is pretty quick. I don’t remember how we had in the other books though

4 Likes

It’s similar in length to Haruhi, but we’ll finish more than twice faster. If we get a nice group following along until the end, it could be nice to just keep going with the next books.

By the way, I just edited a typo in the schedule. The week before last is until the end of the chapter (I first planned 33 pages to the end of part 6, but the last part was only 2 pages, so I wrote 35 pages but forgot to update the first part of the sentence)

4 Likes

Next week is up

1 Like

Next week is up

Btw The number of people coming to the reading aloud is becoming extremely low compare to the first week so…

• I come at each Reading aloud
  • I come sometimes to Reading aloud
  • I do not come often to Reading aloud
  • I do not come to Reading aloud
  • I am busy right now but I will try to come to Reading aloud later on
0 voters

Thank you for your answer

2 Likes

I try to come to each but don’t always manage, and often leave early. :slight_smile: went for sometimes with that in mind.

2 Likes

I’m similar to Belerith. I try to come to each, but sometimes can’t make it.

3 Likes

This poll is reflecting what I have been seeing the last two weeks. Kinda sad that there is only 2 of us that are sure to come and 2 maybe for now. I’m not sure that if there is enough people to continue the Reading aloud for now. I don’t think we are enough people to make two groups. It’s kinda sad to have to ask this question but here it is:

Should we have a reading aloud?

• Yes
  • No
  • Only in a few weeks when more people will have time

0 voters

If not enough people are interested I don’t see a point in doing it anymore. If you do not have an opinion you don’t need to vote on it. I didn’t put “no opinion” in the choice because I wanted a clear answer.

On a more fun note, I will be preparing a little something to put some spice in the weekly reading since there is not a lot of question. I hope you will like it.

4 Likes

I will be there more regularly pretty soon, fyi. Life is just a bit busy for the next while so I can’t promise anything for the next two weekends, though I will try my best to at least stop by for a bit.

Sorry. :turtle::upside_down_face:

I am enjoying the book and look forward to continuing reading with everyone so I hope my temporary absence doesn’t put a wrench in the tires. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You don’t need to be sorry for this though. If you your busy it’s good. I’m not blaming anyone. Since we had to cancel one reading aloud and and almost canceled the last one I was just wondering if people were not too busy for it. I my country, right now, everyone is in vacation so I though maybe you were all on vacation and that it would be better to just start reading aloud in a few weeks. Or maybe that since people are adavance they didn’t felt like they needed to read aloud.

Again i’m not blaming anyone. I’m happy that you still want to do reading aloud. I was just wondering if we had to change a few thing but looks like the poll is pretty unanimous :smile:

3 Likes

Well, only three weeks left.
I think we should start discussing what we do next.
I’m pretty happy with the story so far, so I don’t mind continuing on with no break, but maybe people not in Japan will need some down time before they can get the next book.

Also, what should we do about the pace? It’s okay for me so far, but I wouldn’t mind going a bit faster either. We are going at 35 pages a week right now, so 5 pages a day. I feel it would make sense to bump it up to 50 a week (so, 7 pages a day), then we get to read one book in less than 2 months.

(Just for fun, the absolute maximum I can devote to this book club would be 70 pages a week, and going at a pace of one book per month).

5 Likes