Random thoughts after 1 year on WaniKani

Nice, thank you Omun!

3 Likes

Btw i tried using bunpro but. I don’t understand what exactly to do… some grammer feel like vocabulary to me. Other don’t make any sense. Do you have a good way of how to study grammer in bunpro or any way really ? (Didn’t stick with it much bc of the pervious reasons)

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and grats on the first post ^_^. Looks like Omun got your question answered. I’d definitely recommend checking out some of the other scripts or tools I linked in the first post. They can really help make your life easier - cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I started using BunPro daily, I was also doing daily listening practice, and I started reading native stuff pretty regularly. Without the extra exposure to and reinforcement of the grammar that I was learning, I think BunPro wouldn’t have been as effective and sustainable for me. So what worked better for me was not to study grammar in a vacuum. :slight_smile:

You can consider participating in one of the book clubs. Or the picture book challenge, if you think manga and books are still too much right now.

Unfortunately not every resource clicks with everyone, but I hope you’ll find something that works for you!

2 Likes

Omun is wholesome. Listen to his advice.

2 Likes

When WaniKani makes images like this that do a good job showing what the different kana mean, I’m very surprised we don’t see these kinds of images or just any image at all for visual learners on every lesson to really reinforce their meaning to the word. Like all of the examples of Kouichi slowly adding to the pic as we learn would be hilarious and I think more memorable than trying to generate that picture in my own head but that could just be me.

But simply put, of the three learning types I was taught in school, visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (apparently there are more categorized types now), WaniKani so far makes use of only two of the three. Kinesthetic (AKA the hands-on" approach) learners have to type the word out themselves in kana form and auditory learners hear the vocabulary spoken to them on the success of getting the word right. All that’s missing is being shown an image when learning a word and being shown that image again every time you review it to cater to visual learners.

On that note, I think you might really enjoy the Drops app as it teaches Japanese using both words, sounds, and pictures along with gamifying the learning experience. It also restricts you to only using the app for five minutes every 10 hours (unless you get premium) which makes doing lessons and reviews less daunting similar to WaniKani. Side note: For the app, I personally recommend turning off the stroke order mini-game in the settings as it has given me issues that waste those precious seconds you get every 10 hours.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely agree that it would be nice to have images to help out - I’ll give that app a look. Best of luck in your studies ^.^

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.