Random question about "not having to start at level 1"

I’m totally not “asking for a friend” here, this question is purely theoretical as far as I’m currently concerned. (I’m only level 8, and I didn’t know any kanji before I started WaniKani.)

But I was just randomly pondering the issue of people who already know a good number of kanji, and who would like to use WaniKani to learn more, but who don’t want to have to start at level 1. To the best of my knowledge, WK still does not provide any sort of solution for this (and I can see that it would be tricky, though is it really impossible?).

Then I wondered: What if one completed all of one’s levels (i.e. made level 60), and then sold/gave one’s account to such a person, so that they can reset it to whatever level they want? Would this be
a) unethical
b) illegal
c) inadvisable
d) contraindicated
e) just “not on”
f) so sacrilegious that I will be banned just for asking this
g) kind of sexy, really
h) all of the above
i) other
?

(You’re so not going to believe me about my not asking for a friend. In my defence, I’m an economist! Well, more of a mathematician actually, but still the type who just randomly thinks about stuff like that. Honest!)

8 Likes

For that matter, you could start a new account every time you leveled up. Keep them all going so there’s always one at every level to sell. How much would you have to charge to make it worth the 25 hours a day you spend doing reviews?

8 Likes

:smiley: Well I doubt they’d be that valuable. Or what do you think?
I mean the cost of production isn’t that high (25 hours a day? pfft. that’s nothing.), and I have no way of securing a monopoly on this service. :slight_smile: The cost of production is even negative for those of us who are actually working through the levels because we want to. (I’ve heard that such mythical creatures do in fact exist?)
Then again, simply because it’s a weird thing to do, there are probably very few people selling level X WaniKani accounts. (Plus it may be a breach of contract, which is part of what I’m curious to know.) So, perhaps supply is pretty scarce compared to demand after all. Hmmm… twiddles imaginary moustache
Does anyone here know of cases of people doing this?

1 Like

Yeah, to be less flippant, it’s probably a) totally possible to do, and b) worth at least the price of the lifetime subscription you’re giving away

but also c) risking a-bannning if they find out, so worth slightly less. Plus if you’ve already paid for a lifetime, why not keep it? You never know when you’ll want to brush up.

Also, some people might care about the reputation they made in the forums etc. and not want some rando trashing it. I imagine it’s pretty rare, rare enough they don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about lifetime subscriptions here. :slight_smile: I was imagining a case where the buyer would have to pay for the actual WK subscription themselves (so, say, I have a yearly subscription, and I sell the account to them just as the subscription’s going to run out), and all they’re getting from me is the level-upped-ness.

But you certainly do seem to think that doing this would tick box (q) “objectionable”.
Why exactly would doing this sort of thing attract the Crabigator’s ire? Or be frowned upon by other mere users?
Presumably, the buyer would either secure a way of not having to start at level 1, or not use WK at all. So this would mean more business for the Crabigator rather than less. But I see now that this was yet another tacit assumption in my thought experiment, hidden away within the messy laboratory of my widdle hedgehog mind.

All of these questions have an obvious answer when it comes to lifetime subscriptions, and I honestly had totally neglected to account for those.

2 Likes

Well, whether it’s desirable or not is subjective and up to them, but the terms of service give them ways to get you if they don’t like it.

When you create an account with us, you must provide us information that is accurate, complete, and current at all times. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of the Terms, which may result in immediate termination of your account on our Service.

Ah, but if the new person updates the information, still good, right?

You are responsible for safeguarding the password that you use to access the Service and for any activities or actions under your password, whether your password is with our Service or a third-party service.

Mmmmkay, but if I give someone the password on purpose, that could still be “safeguarded”.

You agree not to disclose your password to any third party. You must notify us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account.

Oops.

And the catch-all

We reserve the right to refuse or cancel your order at any time for certain reasons including but not limited to: product or service availability, errors in the description or price of the product or service, error in your order or other reasons.

“Or other reasons”

3 Likes

Yea, I thought so, and those rules catch a lot of badness under their wide umbrella. Wide umbrellas tend to also catch some non-bad or even desirable things as a side-effect. I wonder if this one is among them? Well, it only is under fairly specific assumptions, as we’ve already seen.
What of “allowing people to skip levels” as an official feature of the WK app? Would that also make the Crabigator sad?

1 Like

I imagine if there was a significant market for such a thing, they’d be happier just selling clean pre-all-items-burned accounts, rather than allowing some complicated swapping of accounts and payment info scheme mostly out of their control. In fact, that would seem like an easy thing for them to do, so I suspect there is a non-business reason they don’t. I.e., the owner just doesn’t like it, so there - kind of thing.

It would also somewhat sabotage the game-ification if just anyone could buy a level 60.

2 Likes

I believe there are a lot of people that just wont use wanikani because they already know some kanji and they think is a time loss to be forced to start from zero

I know that this is something creators know very well, yet they decided to create their tool to work like this because it provides a great path to follow… and for what i’ve seen here people that have struggled to learn kanji using other kind of material are usually the ones that breeze through the first levels and feel more motivated. So my current impression is that WK is a great tool that does wonders for people that have been studying Japanese for years failing to grasp kanji correctly if they’re willing to start from zero…

So about what you ask i’ll find it hard that that could be a thing. Not because there wont be people interested but because this app would need to change a lot of things to allow such thing to happen, it would become a bit chaotic, i believe even to the point of shaking the basis of what the site offers.

What I find to be a shame is all those people out there who will never try out this site because they already know some kanji

6 Likes

I think WaniKani also uses different radicals in some cases, so that would be confusing if you bought an account and reset to, say, level 8. Of course, you could then unburn all the earlier radicals, but that would be a lot of fuss and you may as well just get yourself an account and start at the beginning!

5 Likes

By the way, I think you don’t need to be at the given level to study items of that level. As long as you can access the data of that level (I.e. have a paid subscription for levels 4-60), you can use the self study script to quiz yourself on those items without having to have reached that level. I guess it would be possible to tweak it to add the SRS feature…

5 Likes

I’m coming back to kanji study after several years away. A lot of the radicals and kanji are familiar to me. Others come back easily with one or two reminders. I’m not as good with the readings or some of the vocab.

I wouldn’t so much want to start at level 25, because I want to be certain I know everything. But I’d be thrilled to be able to do 50 lessons a day if I want and also to skip items entirely that are redundant and I am certain that I know. (numbers for example). These are just time wasters. Realistically, I can (re)learn a level in 3-4 days rather than dragging it out over 7.

On the other hand, I appreciate the discipline of a proven path.
I’m sure my boredom will peak soon as more reviews and less familiar kanji start to pile up.
Oh well…

5 Likes

Yes but why didn’t you make this a true poll :cry:

3 Likes

Give it some time, enjoy the ride.

It gets wild, i’m doing an average of 200 reviews per day since lvl 30

6 Likes

i had a bit of kanji knowledge before starting, but given the nature of the radicals, and how they are named unconventionally on wanikani (which is documented thoroughly through the forums) it would make learning mnemonics difficult at higher levels if you skipped the wanikani earlier radicals…

2 Likes

Fortunately, the Crabigator knows that his students are a bunch of sly smart conniving tricky little goblins to even think of such strategies, or he would surely strike us all down for even considering them.
:japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to 200 reviews per day.
Im scheduled for just over 200 reviews in the next week.
Guess I’ll go bunpro or maybe actually do something I get paid for as a change of pace.

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan to me

You sure have heard of this thread, right?

i promise you’ll look back to these days of calm sooner or later :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’m sure you are right, sempai.

Hadn’t seen that thread, bookmarked.

3 Likes

Aw, sorry :’( You wanna create one for me? :slight_smile: Make sure to dedicate it to me (and it never hurts to add little hearts next to my name).

(Why am I weird?)

3 Likes