Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Not directly answering your question, but I’m considering changing my goal from 50 to 60, as without all the travelling I’d planned this year :sob: I think I’d be able to get there fairly easily IF I maintain my fast pace.

Im roughly the same level as you - levelled up to 29 this morning, 7 days and 2 hours.

5 Likes

You can generate an updated list of fast levels yourself using this script from here.

Result from running it just now:

41, 43, 44, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60

However, judging from accounts of people who made it to level 60, doing the fast levels fast can be quite hard and they generally seem to advise against it. I wouldn’t bet on being able to do them all fast.

8 Likes

Agreed. Having just gone through it myself, I do not recommend it. Not only do the number of lessons and reviews double, many of the kanji and vocabulary are less common such that even if you consumed Japanese content regularly, you don’t come across many of these words very often. Additionally, some of kanji and vocabulary get a little more abstract and the mnemonics get very stretched out.

I generally found WaniKani fun, but all those factors above made the last 10 levels grueling and a somewhat miserable experience.

3 Likes

I am really looking forward to these fast levels, I want to be buried under all those lessons and reviews.

1 Like

Actually, if I can help it, I won’t be doing them at the fastest pace for that reason. But if I have to slow down on some of the levels running up to this I can work out how much I can do so whilst still being able to gain ground later if need be.
Thanks for the help (and the script :blush: )

3 Likes

I just leveled up too! 8 days exactly. I think level 60 is still pretty doable, like you said, but life has gotten in the way before and left me behind with hundreds upon hundreds of reviews and no time to clear them so I’m just trying to plan ahead just in case XD

Edit: by the way you forgot to update the leader board with your new level :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I tend to forget that - I haven’t attempted it on my iPad in ages, I usually wait till I have my laptop so I don’t break the table!

3 Likes

Level up!
Level 24!

I am posting because I am low-key losing it, it’s been like a month since I started hitting a bump and my lessons and reviews have been kinda piling up… wohoo…

I feel like posting will (hopefully) get me back on track. I used to think that the psychological factor of motivation from the forum wasn’t that important but even if just coincidental I stopped posting and I also started struggling at the same time haha

This needs to go! ^

I’m ok… I’m ok… it’s cool… insert Hades gif from Disney’s Hercules

Random Rant #RR

I had to move again!

Like that’s 2 moves in 2 months during Corona, UGH, I am trying hard not to lose my marbles. I will have stability for 3 months now, all the way to lvl 35-ish (I hope)

8 Likes

That’s a ridiculous level of consistency! Well done! Just remember, even if you hit a few rough days and break your streak, as long as you can pick yourself up and continue, a few days here or there doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

3 Likes

I am not sure how the quarantine and “stay home” is helping some people to keep up the speed with WK, but it took 38 days for me. The earlier levels took 8 days, 6 hours and 8days :worried:
Granted that I had a few vocab lessons from earlier levels, but staying at home with bored and active kids doesn’t help at all. Anyone else stuck with similar issues?

5 Likes

Level 12! Which took me 19 days, mainly because I decided to not do any more lessons until my apprentice items are below 100. They were at 250 at one point and it was becoming a full time job just to keep up with my reviews.

I’m going to see if it is possible to keep going like this, never letting my apprentice go over 100. One of the nice things about that is that I care way more about learning my vocab as it then becomes part of the process of unlocking the next level.

7 Likes

I had a good run for a while hahahaha, I have just been psyched out but today has been good, so far the psychological factor of posting is indeed helping :sweat_smile:

Come on!

8 Likes

If you’re worried about lessons piling up, try to get rid of those vocab before you do the kanji and level up. I sometimes do vocab and kanji in random order on level up. I try to be at zero lessons before I guru my radicals, so I can do the new kanji right away.

2 Likes

I would normally do that but I didn’t want to slow down, so I had to end up pushing through the pain. I have my level up to lvl 25 on Thursday. Tomorrow is mostly a free day. I’ll have to deal with a bunch of reviews all day today and tomorrow but it’s finally done!

5 Likes

Wow! I feel for future you :joy:

3 Likes

Hit level 22!

This last month has been really good for Wanikani. I may be going gradually insane in lockdown and getting nothing else done, but at least I’ve learned some new kanji :wink:

6 Likes

My long Lv 30 post:

It’s been more than 7 months since I started Wanikani, 5 months since I started BunPro and 2 months since I started studying vocabulary on Anki (should have done it before when I actually had time…).

I tried finishing off my backlog in March, but between Anki and the start of the semester it’s been harder than I imagined. I still don’t understand how people with full time jobs or kids can do this.
Anyway, my Japanese experience is currently on a weird phase. I have moments where I suddenly and unexpectedly understand stuff (sometimes just random adverbs, sometimes complete sentences). And depressing moments where I try to but either can’t remember the kanji used or have never heard the words.

Once I finish the Kana subdeck (how many bloody onomatopoeia do Japanese people use? ガヤガヤ, ガラガラ, ゲラゲラ, ガタガタ, くるくる, ぐるぐる, ぬるぬる…did they just combine all possible Kana?) I plan on studying more words with simple kanji (Lv 1-20 here on WK).

But, as a completist, I’d like to finish this kana subdeck first. The sentences have also been very useful. While I was focusing on the kana words being taught I was also able to learn (visually) some kanji I hadn’t seen on WK yet (靴, 並, 湖…). It was even more useful in making the ones I had studied here stuck for real, I guess I can count that as reading for now…

At the same time there’s real reading. My first real attempt (2 months ago) was too frustrating. I plan on retrying in a couple of months (when I’ll have more free time and be better equipped).

I have been going faster than originally planned. According to WK stats maintaining 7 days/lv (even during the fast levels) I should still make it to 60 before the end of the year (ギリギリ).

It all depends on the next couple of months. The exams are coming. If I can’t finish off my backlog of WK lessons before the end of May (yes I am still fighting against that), I’ll have to decide: stop levelling up for one month and/or stop adding new words on Anki.

If I manage to survive these two months I’ll change my goal to 60 :crossed_fingers:.

Let this be the longest May we had in centuries…

Since you guys love graphs and diagrams:

Wanikani

The 7 days and exactly 0 hours is by chance. I guess that’s what the people here call a routine :joy:

Anki, coincidentally half of the subdeck here as well

P.S. Did someone change WK’s difficulty to Hard after lv 20? Vocab is not what it used to be anymore…

11 Likes

Well done for hitting level 30!

What Anki deck are you using?

3 Likes

This one:

The images are pretty much useless. But the deck itself is great, it’s the usual 10K rearranged by Hinekidori. You can also find it in his threads or under Anki decks in the The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
It’s quite heavy though (50000+ cards, although there’s a lot of repetition).

3 Likes

Well done on level 30!

I’m considering changing my goal to 60 as well, haven’t quite committed.

I started with a couple of absolute beginner books a little while back, really struggled at first but am now finding it useful especially with grammar.

Oh, and I hate katakana with a passion.

6 Likes