Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Well, I got through level 14 in 6 days and 23 hours…
I wasn’t even REALLY trying for a max speed, but it does kinda irk me now that I missed one review session by ONE hour.
I have a feeling some of these lvl 14 vocab items are gonna be hanging around for a while…

4 Likes

Joined! I couldn’t get the speed links to work unfortunately so no clue there. I’m hoping to take the N3 in December, so I set my goal to level 30.

4 Likes

Level 14 is fine for me now, but I had my first real slowdown on level 14+15 the first time around!

1 Like

Me too! I’ve been here a while and reset a few levels a couple of times, which means that it officially took me just under 3 years to get from L14 to L15 (Jun’17 for 14, Apr’20 for 15!)

2 Likes

How can I see a calendar like this? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you’re talking about the timeline thing, you need to use userscripts and add the Wanikani Heatmap

4 Likes

Level 32! 6 days and 23 hours.

7 Likes

Omgggg Level 27!!! 174 dayssssss

8 Likes

It’s been a very long time since I’ve put a pause on my studies.
And today I’ve decided to continue again.

I’ve taken a break because of the schools closing and thus having 0 time for it. But here the schools have half opened again giving me a little bit of time to go back at it.
Also lost my job (which wasn’t really much anyway) so I’ve gained 3 hours from that as well.

Luckily, I put my wanikani on vacation mode, so I only have 200 reviews to tackle. Had I not done that, it would’ve been over 1000.
I’m going to use the upcoming week to get that down to 0 and seriously reduce the work load. Then start with 5 lessons a day. Which is the bare minimum but more than what I’ve been doing.

Let’s do this!

8 Likes

Welcome back !

I had a hard time practicing Japanese when the closing started too, all my routines were gone and it feel hard to stay on the train.

Good luck tackling those reviews !

3 Likes

Hit level 24 in 10 days and 18 hours!

40% of the way through Wanikani :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I got 99 reviews left.
Average about 20% correct, so it’ll take a while to get back to normal.

perhaps I should be glad for the small percentage. It gives me good time to review them all again.

4 Likes

Today is a really sad day for me, I totally broke my streak.
I am really sad, I missed it just for one hour…

I really not motivated since 2 weeks, and I just do like 30 reviews per day where I do always the same mistake (and my motivation keep going down with that).
400 reviews and 71 lessons are waiting for me :cold_face:, but I really don’t want to do them. I never got thaat demotivated since the start of my study, I don’t find anything to keep my motivation back.

3 Likes

As someone who is currently slugging through 800+ reviews after a near-month unplanned break from completely losing motivation and burning out (among other things), I feel you. Maybe just focus on the reviews and not the lessons for a bit, and find some fun media thing (like a show or comedy duo or song or something) that makes Japanese less of a chore? Just take it slow for a bit! After all, this race is a marathon, not a sprint :smile:

Hang in there! We’re all rooting for you!
WildOrganicHornshark-size_restricted

4 Likes

One thing I find really helps when I lose motivation with Wanikani, is to watch something Japanese on Netflix with Japanese subtitles. I’m not at a level where I understand that much or where I can read fast enough to keep up all the time, but seeing so many Kanji that I’ve learned here pop up is really motivating.

Often I lose motivation when I haven’t used Japanese in a while. The studying becomes abstract and (usually subconsciously) starts to feel purposeless. When I get to use it, suddenly it makes the value of my studying feel much more visceral and I often feel motivated to study again (:

4 Likes

Leveled up just now, will probably not be that fast with this new level.

2 Likes

got up by a lot today, so I kicked it down to 200 again.
It was 99 last night though, and tomorrow it’ll reach near 300. So not doing that great.
BUT tomorrow is a school day for my daughter so that gives me time to knock down at least half of that 300 stack.
And not to mention, the day after is ALSO a school day this week. So I can knock down another 150.

Which is good enough for now.

Then all I have to do, is keep reviews at 0 every day until they’ve shrunk to a decent amount and I can add lessons again. I hope that moment comes in a week, but probably more like 2 weeks. Either way, Any progress, is progress.

3 Likes

I have had periods where I lost motivation, too. I would also let my reviews pile up, and I would not get them down again for weeks! What I did is:

• I would stop lessons entirely (I never do lessons if I have reviews pending at all).
  • I would set a reminder around a time where I could be reasonably sure I would have some time, to do some reviews. I think I literally said 20 reviews. Added bonus, you do keep up your streak!
  • I added a script that would order my review queue in srs order, highest first. That way Enlightened items, even if I failed them, would not be back in the queue for the next two weeks, master items not for the next week. I figured I wouldn’t do well on apprentice items, no matter how quickly I saw them.
  • When I was feeling motivated again, I would feel good about getting my queue down to 300 items, 250 items, and so on. And at some point I would be motivated enough to get it down to 0 again.
  • I would wait to take new lessons until I had consistently got my reviews to zero days in a row, and maybe even wait until apprentice items were below 10-20 items. Then slowly add items back in.
2 Likes

Have you tried changing the hours?? Settings —> General —> “New day starts at” [put 1 or 2 or whatever the hour was]
It happened to me too, I did my reviews too late (2 am I think) and thought I had lost the streak (and it felt unfair because it’s not a new day until you go sleeping…) so I changed it to 3 (3 a.m.) and I recovered my streak.

Well, I’m not going to post a screenshot of my current dashboard…let’s just say it’s much worse than that :sweat_smile:
I’m doing them now, and you can too!

P.S. I have already slowed down to 14 days per level. And @Cathm2 has already surpassed me (the first but definitely not the last :joy: )
I’m keeping it lv 50 because I plan on gaining some speed again as soon as life becomes easier.

5 Likes

There are some days when I don’t want to study japanese (but I’m a wanikani addict so I still do reviews) so I do other things instead and after some time my motivation comes back. Maybe you just need a little break.

Reached level 15 today so I have done one fourth of wanikani and I can easily remember most kanji. I get better and better at reading every day while my listening and grammar skills are pretty much non existent.

3 Likes