Quick quide to fast unlocks [Use at your own risk, skipping items is generally not a good thing in the long run]

This was for d-hermit and his test out idea. My comment was about learners at large.

OK, I feel like this is a pointless conversation but there’s a difference between skipping an item and cheating on a review:

1. skip - you remove the item from the SRS system, you don’t do any reviews for it. Not available on WK.
  2. cheat - you look up the item before answering to artificially push it up the SRS stages, even though you don’t know it. If you stop cheating after it’s on Guru you will fail it and it’ll drop back to Apprentice increasing you review queue.

If you keep “skipping” levels by cheating you will accumulate an unmanageable review queue (all of those items). Plus, if you also use the reorder script to skip Vocab lessons then you won’t be reinforcing your kanji knowledge.

This will all lead to a learning disaster, waste of time, and the need to reset your level.

Search the forum for the posts by people who were speedleveling and skipping vocab and then regretted it.

2 Likes

What if I look it up after giving my own answer?

That’s the idea, to increase the number of items unlocked at once, not to skip them entirely, that would defeat the whole point of using WK in the first place.

Good luck!

2 Likes

It works for me, for times when I run out of things in my queue (and I already did my grammar for the day)

I agree with your sentiments but I also see how your wording was going to be taken the wrong way.

If you haven’t yet “guru’d” a kanji but forget it, you can go look it up because it will appear again in multiple vocab items and you will keep seeing it again and again. Hopefully you only need to use your method for Kanji because the the vocab are repetitive for the purpose of reenforcing the kanji.

What (I think) your saying is that it would be better to “cheat” on the kanji to unlock the corresponding vocab. You will have become familiar with it during the few times you needed to look it up, and you will see it again and again in handful of vocab that use it. (I don’t think you should cheat on vocab because they don’t effect how quickly you level up, and it will be important to learn vocab very well, if you are cheating your kanji learning.)

Obviously is preferred that you don’t have to look up at item, but if you have to look up a kanji a few times, your saying that it probably won’t detract from your learning in a meaningful way.

I don’t think you are saying to cheat constantly every chance you get, which is how many people are taking it.

Pretty much, while it’s preferable to learn the Radicals used in Kanji, before learning the Kanji themselves, I see no problem with learning the Kanji and the next set of Radicals at the same time. While you do that, the associated Vocabulary items for that level can safely sit in your review queue

Shit. I see a problem now. I was gonna say they can wait until you learn the Kanji required for them, but the WN won’t let you skip them. Ok it doesn’t work.

Well even if, while I think you should learn the Radicals before Kanji, I also think there’s some merit in learning the Kanji and Vocab simultaneously, since they often use different spellings for the same sign (on’yomi, kun’yumi, jungo words). That said, it does substantially increase the amount of things you have to learn at once, so use it with caution.

Got through the backlog in my reviews and now I’m bored waiting for new items. Guess I’ll do some grammar :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Removed the [Deprecated] from title:

I mean, regardless of whether it’s a good or bad idea to skip items, the method of skipping them works, just that my plan to use it to learn the next set of diacritics ahead of time while having the vocab items wait in the queue doesn’t. There’s already the “use at your own risk”, I think that’s enough.

That feeling when you’ve mistyped a single kanji and have to wait for another day for another review to be able to move on to another level :expressionless:

Kind of wild how you have so many burned items
 I guess you were going pretty slow at first. Usually people start seeing a pretty sharp increase in pace around level 5, but since you have so many items already burned, your pool of active cards is smaller than most level 7 users.

There is a userscript that allows you to fix typos. I think it’s called double check or something along those lines.

I think d-hermit was trying to stress to you how painful it is to have thousands of reviews to do at the same time. Once you get to higher levels, it becomes quite the chore. I recommend checking out how long it takes to make reasonable progress with a high number of reviews with this thread. OP still has over 900 reviews to go.

I don’t think it would help, it wasn’t technically a typo, I added "to " where I shouldn’t have :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope I’ll get to have such problems in the future :slight_smile:

So it’s been about a month. How has this method been working out for you? Have you changed it up any? Is it helping your recall better?

Honest questions. :smiley: I’m interested to know.

Sorry, I didn’t have much time this month to spend on WK, I did do what I planned to do with the first half of the level (radicals and first half of kanji) and I think it works pretty well, after the first 5 tries I already learned almost all of them (except for some on’yomi), but I didn’t touch the second set of kanji yet. I plan to do some grammar when I find a moment to start and actually construct some sentences and not just memorize random words in the void, but overall I think the method works for me in general. I don’t really find learning new signs too problematic. From what I’ve observed this month, except for misstyping words, most errors I make fall under 3 categories, words that I’d learned a while ago and forgot how to write (mostly juke words and stuff like different uses of the kanji for sun and moon where I can never remember when to use which form), words where there are two signs with a very similar meaning and I keep mixing their on’yomi, and lastly cases where I use on’ in vocab or kun’ in kanji, mostly when I’m too sleepy and don’t pay attention to the background colour :slight_smile:

pt., 18 wrz 2020, 22:26 uĆŒytkownik alo via WaniKani Community <wanikani_community@discoursemail.com> napisaƂ:

1 Like

I guess the problem with it lies in the possibility of overloading yourself with too much material so it only works in my burst style of learning

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.