Quick question on the ordering of items using の

Hi! Just want to ask a quick question. Let’s say (hypothetically) that your computer background changes daily. When referring to the background of a specific day, does it make more sense to say

今日のパソコンの壁紙

or

パソコンの今日の壁紙

I originally thought the first one, thinking that it would be like [today’s] [laptop’s background] but I think it could also be misinterpreted as [today’s laptop’s] [background] (like the laptop I am using TODAY has this one background, but the one I used yesterday is different).

So I thought that maybe the second one, [laptop’s] [today’s background] may make more sense, but I really can’t decide either way. Which one is better, or are they both valid depending on context?

Thanks! :))

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the first one is the right way. In general anything you say first modifies what comes after it. Which is probably why I’ve always seen words marking time periods come at the beginning of a clause. So if you’re talking about your laptop anything you want to say describing it will come before it.

Edit: After thinking about it some more it might be better to use 今日は instead of 今日の. That simply defines the time frame you are speaking about and doesn’t leave any ambiguity of you using multiple computers the way 今日の could imply.

3 Likes

I think 今日のパソコンの壁紙 works better

That would be “Today’s computer wallpaper.”
(The wallpaper of the computer of today)
While the other one would be “The computer’s current wallpaper” (The wallpaper of today of the computer)
Generally when I see 今日 it’s used before the rest of the words
今日の定食の材料
I think generally temporal nouns are placed first, but I could be incorrect. I think that’s just a common trend I see.

2 Likes

I like the second one.

3 Likes

Thank you for your replies! I see what you are saying. I also agree that it does seem weird when phrased

Like the “today of the computer” part seems weird depending on how you group words together.

Also,

I don’t think I’ve seen a word like 今日 used anywhere other than the beginning either.

as im typing (is this being leebo’d even if its not by leebo?)

oh no what have you done to the consensus!

3 Likes

It is true, mind, that chains of のs can be ambiguous at times. For example, 私の先生の本 could arguably be either “the book that belongs to my teacher” or “the book for teachers that belongs to me”. I had thought the grammar dictionary suggested a way around that, but it’s not there - perhaps I read it somewhere else.

2 Likes

Ah yeah that’s a much better example. With that, maybe to reduce confusion and ambiguity, I would use the second one I said then because no one would interpret it as meaning [laptop’s today’s] [background] (how would a laptop have a today?!?), people would hopefully see it as [laptop’s] [today’s background].

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.