Question to Level 60 peeps

Hi guys,

I will be entering level 51 in a couple of days (YAY) and I’ve noticed that a few level 51 Kanjis are quite common.

My question for the level 60’s is, for Kanjis level 52- 60, how often have you seen them in your readings? Because if you are rarely seeing these Kanjis they could be easily forgotten right? (feel free to give examples of kanjis in these levels that have been useful for you) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ooo, ooo, 駿 in level 53. WaniKani has no vocab for it, and never addresses this point, but it’s the given name of 宮崎駿. :slightly_smiling_face:

On a more serious note, though, to pick a random sampling of others: 覇 (level 52) is the second kanji of 那覇, the capital of Okinawa. 瓶 (level 51) appears often on garbage bins (though the katakana version ビン is possibly more common). 呂 (level 52) is used in 風呂 often enough that I’m not even sure why they waited until level 52 (especially since it was introduced in its entirety as a radical way back in level 22, with the same meaning). 智 (level 56) is the second kanji of 那智 and numerous other place names.

There’s a whole bunch of others that frequently appear in place names (like 岬, 浦, 亜), or animal or fruits and vegetable names which you might see on some of the more traditional signage (like 狐, 杏, 瓜)

7 Likes

I am not level 60 but I already saw lots of kanji from level 51-60 in manga, books and videogames, so there are not that rare.

1 Like

There are some that I think are introduced very late for some reason. 寂しい、狐、浦、蝶々、囚

I’m honestly not so sure why but hey, better late than never.

2 Likes

I’m far from 60, but I can give an idea of coverage from levels 52–60 kanji are in a few media releases:

In the Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire remakes for Nintendo 3DS, the levels 52–60 kanji account for 4.78% of the unique kanji in the game’s dialogue. However, looking at overall kanji usage (repeated kanji usage), they cover only 0.55% of the game’s dialogue’s kanji. (Most common kanji: 艇)

In volume one of the manga series Is the order a rabbit?, these WK levels account for 2.38% of the unique kanji used. Counting duplicate kanji usage, it covers only 0.74% of kanji used overall. (Most common kanji: 呂、癒)

The first book of the Kiki’s Delivery Service series has only 0.44% of its unique kanji in this range, for a total kanji usage of 0.05%. (Kanji: 荘、拍、弦)

Across the 200 episode anime series Sailormoon, the unique kanji in the subtitles include 7.13% from that WK range, and it accounts for 1% of the overall kanji usage. (Most common kanji: 亜、乙)

9 Likes

Those are learned late in the process for Japanese people too.

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone! I think I will do those levels but at a very slow place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi ChristopherFritz

That info is really cool. Where did you find it?

1 Like

Kinda impolite but i heard in anime alot. 煩い level 60 right there lol.

1 Like

How did you get the data for the remakes? Is there like an Anki deck or something for that? I would love to know!

I will use this thread to express my bewilderment that 俺 is introduced as late as level 44.

1 Like

I imagine all of the personal pronoun kanji get taught later than most people would expect. 私 is taught in 6th grade in Japan. 僕 and 俺 are both taught at the end of middle school.

2 Likes

That’s odd I guess but I can imagine that this is due to the fact that Japanese school seems to tend to teach kanji in order of complexity of the characters. (in other words the amount of strokes - I think WK also follows this principle) At least 僕 and 俺 are fairly complex.

But now that you mention pronouns I realized that 彼女, 彼, 誰 and 彼ら are all in the 30s and 40s.

1 Like

WaniKani follows that principle, but Japanese schools teach mostly in order of the complexity of the concepts involved. 私 is used in many important and common compounds, apart from just わたし/わたくし. 僕’s original meaning is “servant” and it is used in many relatively uncommon words for servants.

俺 was only added to the jouyou list in 2010, so I think that mostly accounts for its late appearance in the curriculum.

5 Likes

呂 being so late is pretty baffling. You’ll be seeing that within your first week in Japan for sure.
須 pops up in online forms and documents
荘 you will see when you try to find lodging
栓 for fire hoses
佳 shows up in a lot of girls’ names
尿 if ya nasty
遥 for what feels like the most common young girls’ name in Japan

4 Likes

I have some scripts I can run some text files through, then get outputs of kanji per WK level and stats.

I extracted the text from my Alpha Sapphire 3DS game card, and extracted the kanji from that. No Anki deck or anything.

I see the kanji all the time. Kanji not on WK as well

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.