Question on some N5 words

So I had a quick question about some words in N5 vocab. For example, I learned 電子辞書 (electronic dictionary) about 180 words in… just curious as to how that is N5. Is it really used that much? Or do I have the wrong idea for how N5, N4, etc. works.

Thanks.

Because the makers of the test decided that it was?

What is your idea of how the N5, N4, etc. works? Sounds like you might have the wrong idea.

1 Like

Well my idea of it is that N5 uses the most common words used, and then it advances as you get to N4, N3, etc.

So in regards to my question, is 電子辞書 really used that often?

Nope, it’s based on complexity of words not frequency of usage.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you.

What do you mean by complexity of the words, as in like how straight forward they are? Like their readings and how they are said, or a mix of other things?

The official definition:

One is able to listen and comprehend conversations about topics regularly encountered in daily life and classroom situations, and is able to pick up necessary information from short conversations spoken slowly.

As you see, the test at this level should be slanted towards the classroom situations. This makes sense: it would be nice to learn al the common words, but for that you need to first invest into some tools to be able to progress.

This, I assume, explains 電子辞書.

Electronic dictionaries are very common in Japan, even now. It’s a typical thing for students to have.

3 Likes

Oh okay, well the reason why I’m learning them with kanji is to help me gain some knowledge on how kanji is read since I’m not using WK anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.