Question from a french/non perfect english speaker about WaniKani

I’m actually a native English speaker and I find some of the explanations difficult to understand :face_with_raised_eyebrow:(as many of them are very specific to American culture - which I’m not). Don’t feel bad if you need to look stuff up, because I did that at the beginning too.

After about level 15, I started ignoring their explanations and would automatically write in my own notes for the readings and mnemonics (not necessarily in English either since I speak a couple other languages).

Best of luck in your studies and welcome to the family. :hugs:

1 Like

Accuracy doesn’t matter that much. As long as you do reviews at least once per day, SRS will usually take care of it. If you find yourself really struggling with a specific item, then it is a “leech” and could benefit from some additional practice, like coming up with a new mnemonic, reading more example sentences, or learning how to write it.

Accuracy can also affect level up times, but only for the radicals and kanji that haven’t reached Guru at least once yet, and most people don’t go maximum speed. It also affect your daily review load, which mainly depends on your number of Apprentice items, but a better way to control that is by slowing down on Lessons.

All that said, your percentages look just fine to me! If you’re still concerned, you can see that your total accuracy is higher than mine for everything:

Hello guys thanks for all those wonderfull replies!
I have another question… again
I iust reached level 4 and in order to be quicker i used the reorder script to get the radicals done first.
I did that because when i leveled up i had 70 lessons, but getting the radicals require to learn all the vocab from the previous level. Since it takes +3 days to guru the radicals i can split the level 3 vocab and the lvl 4 kanji & vocab who are already unlocked right ?
Is it something that is done or will it cause too much workload?
I want to go close to full speed until level 10/20 in order to have the basics !

I think the English on Wanikani is often actually hard and a hindrance at some point.

I still don’t really know what “chastise” “yonder” and quite a few other words here mean :smiley:

1 Like

Wanikani is perfect for me. I just need a guide that hold my hand to study Kanji with study orders and SRS system. I rarely bother with Wanikani mnemonic only the one I can’t make up my with my own undrestanding.

Even as a native English speaker who grew up in the rural US with the word yonder being used regularly, I never really understood the difference between “over there,” and “over yonder” until I started learning Japanese, funny enough. Upon learning ここ, そこ, あそこ, “yonder” finally clicked for me. While it no longer sees as much use (the moment I moved out of that rural area, I never heard the word until I saw it again here), it seems English used to have a “there” that meant far from both the speaker and the listener, and a “there” that meant close to the listener, but further from the speaker. So, if it helps you remember “yonder” a bit better, just think of it as あそこ.

As for chastise, I always think of it as “scold,” but with a much harsher connotation. I think it used to even mean physical punishment, but that meaning has died out.

I’d say that’s easily doable until level 10 at least. However you should keep in mind that once you start getting enlightening items (and later burning them) the workload will increase massively by which point I wouldn’t advise going full speed anymore. But I would say you can reach lvl 20 comfortably within 4 months no problem.

(Theoretically you could reach lvl 28 before you see any burns, but that might be a bit ambitious.)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.