Question about NHK easy article

Hey there, first I’d like to thank you all for being here! :hugs: The forum here has already become a invaluable resource of information for me. I subscribed to WK only a few weeks ago, but already learned so much.

I also began reading articles of NHK Easy, as many recommended, and I can already understand a lot more than I did 4 weeks ago, but there are still sometimes sentences which I just can’t comprehend from a grammar point of view although I think I know the grammar used. I stumbled upon such a case a few minutes ago, when I read an article published yesterday about the dimming of Betelgeuse. One paragraph begins with:

国立天文台の山岡均先生は「空を見て、ベテルギウスが暗くなったと思った人もいると思います。[…] 」と話しています。

So how would you translate this? What’s irritating me is that double use of 思う.

My crude translations would be something like:
Professor … said: “I think there are people who observed the sky and thought Betelgeuse dimmed. …”
or
Professor … said: “I observe the sky and think there are people who thought Betelgeuse dimmed. …”
Both don’t sound quite right :thinking:

I appreciate any comments!

I didn’t find a general post to ask questions about NHK Easy articles, so feel free tell me if there is one or to post other sentences / articles you didn’t understand completely under this topic :slightly_smiling_face:

My take is this:

Professor X said: I think that there were also people who looked at the sky and thought that Betelgeuse had become dark.

3 Likes

That would be Doctor Hitoshi Yamaoka of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. I don’t think Professor X is known for his astronomy work. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Insert Mega Man quip here.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be the X-Men?

3 Likes

You’re right. My mistake.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.