Question about a note from the Human Japanese Anki deck

I’ve been going the Human Japanese Anki Deck, and I came across this new note today:

Now since this deck doesn’t always show me different vocab parts of notes before it shows me the sentences (which I would love to be able to fix if anyone knows how,) I make my own notes out of words I don’t know.

… What on earth does たかく mean in this sentence? Is it an error? I mean clearly it’s supposed to mean “high” in this case, but I can’t find that definition for たかく. I’m assuming it’s somehow related to 高く which is what my IME gives me for “たかく,” but according to Jisho that means “to be expensive; to be costly​,” which doesn’t make a lot of sense, though I see that 高 means high… Is it supposed to be 高い? I can’t figure it out. :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks in advance.

高い can mean high, tall, or expensive. Any of them (and probably more meanings in other contexts).

When you make an い adjective an adverb you remove the い and replace it with く

はやい fast (also early) - an adjective
はやくはしる (run fast) - here it’s an adverb

I don’t see this entry, can you link it

4 Likes

OH! Okay great, that makes sense. I haven’t come across this process of making い adjectives adverbs yet; do you by any chance have any suggested reading that introduces this?

And I apparently just mixed up what I was reading while scrolling through; I was looking at 高くつく.

No problem. I’m sure some of the people who are more familiar with beginners resources can offer some suggestions. I learned beginners stuff from a textbook (Japanese for Busy People) several years ago, so I can’t comment on other stuff. I don’t even remember that book that well, haha.

Ah, alrighty.

There are some peculiarities with adjectives and adverbs from the perspective of an English speaker, so it’s interesting to learn about.

This is covered in chapter 43 “Adverbs”. Specifically, this sentence appears on page 2.

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t understand what book you’re referring to.

Oh, I assumed you were using the anki deck along with Human Japanese. In case you didn’t know, Human Japanese is a digital book (downloadable as an app). The anki deck is simply a collection of all the example sentences from the app.

1 Like

Oh, I assumed you were using the anki deck along with Human Japanese. In case you didn’t know, Human Japanese is a digital book (downloadable as an app). The anki deck is simply a collection of all the example sentences from the app.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I feel kinda’ stupid for not realizing that; I just found the deck in the Anki shared decks. Do you recommend the book?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.