Question About 人 Being Written As A Character Close To 乃

So I’ve been pretty obsessed with this song lately, and I recently realized that at one point there is a character that looks like 乃 but is read as ひと. Within a few seconds, the character switches to the correct kanji, being 人. This is most definitely confusing to me, as the only thing close to an answer I could find on Google, and here on WaniKani, was that the old Shuowen Jiezi radical for 人 actually did look somewhat like 乃, but that doesn’t explain much to me, as ancient Chinese radicals probably aren’t used as replacement Kanji very often, or at least I haven’t been told so. I am still a beginner, after all. So is there some intrinsic decision or design choice behind this, is it some clever nuance, or a pun, or what? Thanks in advance!

The Song In Question (Timestamp 0:18):
https://youtu.be/UxM5UgpXYM4?t=18

1 Like

It’s because it’s seal script.

You can see all different varieties of kanji in their ancient forms on Wiktionary.

Stylistically it sometimes gets used in the same way that the fonts for newspaper names are used in English.

It’s also used on the Japan passport.

As for why use it in a video… it looks cool?

15 Likes

So we have to learn archaic alternates now?

Am I the only one who thinks it is funny they wrote 国, which is a modern “simplified” character, in seal script :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve always had to if you want to read the kanji on formal documents like that. It’s not like seal script is going to appear everywhere so there are other forms on fancy writing you’d want to prioritize first if you’re going to learn it.

Yeah, I thought it might have been something like this, I just wasn’t sure if it was commonplace. Thanks for the clarification!

And goshuin. I kinda worked out how to read seal script when trying to read goshuin, but it rather helped if I already had a vague idea of what it was meant to say.

Plus, I think I’ve gotten a bit out of practice…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.