4️⃣ Quartet 2 - Chapter 9 (Quartet Study Group)

Didn’t know the author of the second text, but looks like she has written quite many books (and has won several prizes for them too!)

2 Likes

I’ve read three of his novels (1Q84, Afterdark and 海辺のカフカ), and I think the short story in Quartet is quite typical for his writing style. Somehow, his works always lure me into this kind of melancholy, trance-like state where I’m really enjoying myself and I|m floating along and then half an hour after reaching the end, I can’t remember what happened in the book :woozy_face:. I’m not sure I’ll ever read any of his other books (all in all, I prefer my fiction more…memorable), but I sure had a good time.

Also, the oscar-nominated movie Drive My Car is based on one of his short stories, and it has a similar athmosphere. I really loved that one.

2 Likes

I’ve read Norwegian Wood, Wind Up Bird Chronicle, and Kafka on the Shore (in english). I thought all were great, with my favorite being Kafka. The prose is definitely dreamy in the translations, so I want to try reading excerpts of them in Japanese, though I did feel like his protagonists were all kind of the same which made me take a break from him.

3 Likes

Normal person: I didn’t feel any joy.
Murakami: 喜びのようなものは、身のうちにほとんどわいてこなかった。 (from Underground)

3 Likes

My writing this time was super short. Basically cut out the middle two paragraphs and only did the first and last. Because I couldn’t really think of anything to write about, so after four days of straining my brain I’ve just decided to be done with it. But also because I’ve finally started writing something else :eyes:

2 Likes

Week 12

Last week of Chapter 9! Halfway through the book already :slight_smile:
Time for listening practice! :headphones: :slight_smile:

This week’s assignments are:

• 聴解1
  • 聴解2

Have fun!

2 Likes

Despite knowing of Murakami’s grand reputation for a long time, I’ve never read a single thing from him, and I didn’t expect my first exposure to be from this textbook teaching Japanese.

and wow, that was a beautiful read lol. The depths of isolation where the need to die feels too great, being saved by something so delicate and small, and bringing it all together to describe love.

Were the 肉じゃが recipes not as compelling anymore?? :joy:

So good, it didn’t even feel like I was studying anymore!

3 Likes

Yeah they really have set the bar high now, my expectations are through the roof for chapter 10 :smiley: (but honestly I was already sold from chapter 1 with Miyazaki! Now give me Nobuo Uemastu or Joe Hisaishi and I might just have to nominate this textbook for best textbook in the world)

3 Likes
Chapter 10

I’m afraid next chapter is going to be all about scientific publications and statistics. Though I’m fine with that, too. I used to work in that field and I’m very curious how it’ll feel to read stuff like that in Japanese.

Meanwhile, I’m lagging a bit behind on Chapter 9 and got a question regarding the blue box that explains the use of どうせ on p 85: There’s an X symbol in front of example 3. Does that mean that this is an example for a case where you’re not supposed to use どうせ, and if so, why?

Spoiler tags please :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I added some just in case you’re serious, lol.

2 Likes

I was :stuck_out_tongue: I really like going blind when I start on something. Thanks! Will look at the grammar question this evening:)

2 Likes

Yes believe so, they say why before example 2, it can come across as rude if you use it with someone “higher” than you (like a sensei): 目上の人に使うと失礼になるので、気をつけましょう

1 Like

I had a heart attack when I looked at the title for listening 1, and then looked at the translation given for 殺処分. I had to look on Jisho to see that it also refers to euthanasia.

1 Like

I listened to it blind, didn’t know this word and many of the other keywords and really second guessed my Japanese skills :cry: then I went back and listened to the first listening exercise of chapter 1 and now I feel better about myself :joy:

1 Like

I found the first listening quite challenging too. It started off slow so I thought “Oh great, this shouldn’t be too hard.” And then there were so many unknown words and long sentences, I hardly understood a thing until I looked at the transcript :upside_down_face:

The second listening was easier though.

Lol good idea! Those were so 難しい back then, and so やさしい now. Gives you some hope that in another year or so, these current listenings will be easy for us too.

1 Like

ペットがかわいくなくなったから

noooo?? why would you abandon your pet like that :sob: :sob:

they chose some interesting reads/listening topics for chapter 9 :joy:

2 Likes