Protuberance?

The only one I have had an issue with as a native English speaker is 第 ordinal number prefix. I had never heard of a ordinal number before until that kanji

1 Like

I feel like we’re having the 心理 conversation all over again, albeit from the other side…

They speak Spanish or Portuguese in Latin countries. Not Latin. Unless you mean, like, Vatican City.

Ordinal numbers are the ones that define an order. First, second, third, et cetera.

4 Likes

By Latin countries they’re referring to countries that speak languages derived from Latin (e.g. France or Spain).

Romance languages would probably be the better term.

5 Likes

Maybe just thought of a stupid sentence example.

おい、天狗!醜い鼻の隆起の先、見てご覧なさい。こっら!

Perhaps.

I don’t know of the frequency of use in Japanese but as this site is presented in English, and everyone using it, are using it in English, the idea that a common word to being more readily grasped isn’t a far fetched one. It’s not a stretch since, at least according to Jisho, those other definitions are listed as regular meanings.

I mean, the fact that this is a complaint attests to the quality of wanikani I’d say.

1 Like

Shouldn’t they at least attempt to give a word in the same register as the main word? That’s what I would expect. We obviously disagree about just how “out there” it is to use the word protuberance, but I think the register is appropriate myself.

2 Likes

Protuberancia represent. :muscle: :metal:

2 Likes

Sure, again I don’t know the frequency of use in Japanese to know if the register is appropriate. It’s not listed on Jisho as a common word so it could very well be.

Theres always gonna be some words some natives know and others dont. I came across the “hemp” kanji today and although I have heard about a dozen names for marijuana, I did not know what hemp meant although my family did know.

3 Likes

Hemp is the name of the plant rather than a nickname for marijuana.

3 Likes

Took me a while to understand that “shin” was not a humorous way of writing “chin” for mnemonic sake, and while not native, I’d say that I’m close to being bilingual. :smiley:

2 Likes

It would be nice if they actually explained this with the word though.

My language also has “protuberanță” so I could easily guess the meaning. :man_shrugging:

I actually love how there’s so many Latin-borrowed words in English, it makes it such an easy language to learn :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s about a word being known or not. It’s about common vs not common. Protuberance is definitely not a common word in English, at least, in my part of the world.

Huh. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “English is such an easy language to learn” before, lol!
Usually I just see people like “Hey, this language doesn’t make any sense!”. I figured that’s what everyone thought but I guess I’m wrong :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve never heard anyone say protuberance, people usually say carbuncle or excresence.

9 Likes

The only thing that’s hard about English is spelling (well, it gets easier the more words you learn and start recognizing patterns), and to a lesser degree pronunciation (but native speakers seem very tolerant of foreign accents so I don’t think it’s that bad even if you don’t learn it properly). Otherwise the grammar is extremely simple, at least compared to my own language. English doesn’t have cases or gender for nouns, the verbs have simple, easy to remember conjugations.

Let me give you some examples from Romanian:

Noun: “băiat” (boy).

Verb: “a mânca” (to eat)

There are different verb categories that conjugate differently, with many exceptions, a whole big category of irregular verbs that don’t fit in any category.

Comparatively, English grammar is a nice big ball of fluffy niceness :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They are not quite synonyms. Protrusion would mean something that juts out in a way that would would suggest a deformity while protuberance would be more like a swelling.

3 Likes

That may be the case in dictionaries, but since I’ve only ever heard protrusion to describe both, I would argue that protrusion (at least in the places I’ve heard it) can be used to describe both. Language is based on how people use it after all. Call me stubborn, but I think the average person would have the same usage since they are incredibly similar in every day use.