Prorated upgrade question

I feel like I sort of got the gist of how this works by searching some old threads, but would like to confirm I’m understanding correctly.

I’m Monthly, and considering Lifetime. But when I looked into upgrade, I was only being credited a few dollars. (been here ~3 months/$30 thus far.)

If I’m understanding right, the discount is based only on your current billing cycle, not how much you’ve paid lifetime, so the most I could ever get off is just under $10? i.e. if I were here for 30 months at monthly and paid $300, a lifetime upgrade at that point would still cost me just under $300?

I didn’t necessarily expect to be credited the full amount paid to date, but perhaps thought it would be more than a couple dollars off. If I’ve got this right it sounds like I need to make a decision very quickly, because until the point I upgrade, I will have effectively thrown away every monthly payment. Ouch.

(I understand WK isn’t obligated to offer any prorate at all, but it does seem a bit useless for monthly accounts with how it’s set up now, and is a bit of a disincentive to upgrade for precisely the kind of user who would feel inclined to upgrade.)

Correct. The main way this makes a difference is of you paid for a year and then decided on lifetime a month later. I got $87 back for doing it this way. You get credited for what you haven’t used.

Thanks for confirming.

I suppose now it’s a game of chicken… wait for a Lifetime discount promotion to roll around and try to recoup some losses that way, but risk no discount coming up any time soon and burning more monthly charges.

Ahhh, it’s a tough decision. I know Lifetime is best if I stick with it, but I’ll hate myself if I change my mind in three months and stop using the site and effectively flush ~$240.

They generally have a lifetime sale at Christmas. So you have a couple of months to decide.

Hm, by then I’d have paid ~$80 already so even a $100 off code would be a pretty negligible difference from doing it now. I guess I’m best off just coming to a decision before the next billing period and then sticking with it. Anyways, thanks.

Which is why I remain a monthly user, at an already discounted rate, even though I would normally take the lifetime option. :slight_smile:

Yes, the new discounting system is not great at the moment and not a good incentive for you to upgrade.

There used to be an end-of-the-year offer where the WK team calculated all you had spent so far and deducted it from the cost of Lifetime (plus a further discount if you were at Level 50, which was the max at the time). I decided to go yearly because I felt like Lifetime is not encouraging me to finish WK quickly (which I need for drive, otherwise I know I would let it drag for years and never finish it). I’m hoping to reach Level 60 in 3 months and would love to actually get lifetime then. But it would only make sense and be fair if I could deduct all I have spent so far. I’m on the Textfugu plan, which gives a 50% discount on the WK monthly and yearly price (currently I pay 50 USD per year, which is a damn good deal and makes you think twice about going Lifetime, even at 200 USD).

If I were you though, I would perhaps move to yearly and wait until the end of year sale to go lifetime (although there is no guarantee they will do that lifetime offer again).

If you are deligent in your studies anyway you can finish wanikani in 2 years

So lifetime is useful if you dont want to rush - cant commit daily / want breaks or want to use the site after you hit level 60 and potentially have burned everything

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.