Pronunciation of じ

Well, I guess that’s a new claim then.

Don’t hear it.

Never heard anyone mention it in instructing students’ pronunciation or in other contexts.

It would be interesting to see how does it sound for a native speaker, if they notice any difference.

Always close enough to dzi (gee/jesus) to me.

The only differences I’ve heard (like @xtwentyseven mentioned) I’d consider to be natural variation / laziness / mouth efficiency.

The Wikipedia page I linked above says that it’s common in the Kansai area though, so you should know about it. (Well in the Kyoto/Osaka area actually, but still).

It’s not taught in school (or foreigners, for that matter) because it’s not “standard” Japanese.

There are lots of flavors of Kansai, and I wouldn’t consider my ears to be that finely tuned even if it is common where I am, but that seems to conflict with what Tanguybe was saying, since both of the people in the recordings here speak standard Japanese. I don’t hear it in the recordings here, and according to what you’re saying we shouldn’t, but apparently there are times when we should… but I don’t know if I’ve ever spoken to native Kyoto or Osaka folks for extended periods of time.

I also don’t hear it for the recording of 徐々.
The guy in the first video is using a different pronunciation than the one I am used to, and (to me) he makes it sound more like [zu] than [dzu], but maybe it’s just me.

Anyway, we should indeed not hear any difference in standard Japanese, which is supposed to use [dzu].

It’s interesting that you guys don’t hear it. I’m a native French speaker and it’s obvious to my ears but English speakers may not be able to discriminate between those two phonemes, and maybe Japanese speakers as well?

I’m a native French speaker too, so that’s not it.
What about the first video, though?

In that first video I hear [dzu] when he’s introducing the kana at 00:17 (it’s a soft [d] but it’s still present) but [zu] when he reads ずっと at 00:34

Right. Same for me.
But as a teacher, he should (?) use standard Japanese pronunciation, though.
I guess there’s a difference between theory and practice…
People around me do pronounce it [dzu], though. I’ll try to pay more attention from now on.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.