Progressing without an internet connection

Hello!

I’ll be going on deployment here soon, and won’t have a reliable internet connection for the next 9 months. With that said, this is the best time for me to make some real progress with learning, since I won’t have a lot else to distract me. Are there any ways I can use Wanikani offline? I won’t have cell signal 95% of the time, and the computers we have will be very slow, and the site might even be blocked.

Any other learning resources, such as books, will be greatly appreciated. I’m starting over, so lets consider me a complete beginner. Thanks guys!

Android: Flaming Durtles
IOS: (I think) Tsurukame

1 Like

For Flaming Durtles you’ll only need to connect to the internet once a month.

1 Like

I believe you also need to connect in order to unlock new items

2 Likes

You do? I haven’t been offline long enough to notice that, but I didn’t think so. I thought only when the website gets an update.

2 Likes

I don’t use the app myself so I am not certain, but I recall there being a conversation with the devs and them actively choosing to make the API work that way

1 Like

Hm, so Flaming Durtles sounds like my best bet for now, huh.

1 Like

Maybe try Remembering the Kanji? There’s always plenty of debate about RTK vs. Wanikani as learning methods (search RTK on these forums), but RTK certainly can work and it has the advantage of being analog. It might be worth a shot given your situation.

2 Likes

For completely offline options, I would recommend either:

1. The book “A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters” by Kenneth G. Henshall
    or
  2. The kanji flashcards sold by White Rabbit Press

I would not recommend “Remember the Kanji” (RTK) to someone who is already successfully using Wanikani, as RTK only teaches an English synonym for each kanji and does not teach any readings for the kanji or any compound words containing the kanji. The book does have good mnemonics for meanings, though, so if you are just trying to get ahead in recognizing kanji and willing to learn them all over again with pronunciations using Wanikani once you get back home, it could work.

1 Like

hmm… screenshot all kanji radical vocab from wanikani tables ?
since your internet is might be gone. at least you remember what you had learn so far.
:grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.