Problem with a word

Hi, I’m having some problems with the meaning of this sentence:

“君を氷遠に愛する”

What does 氷遠 or more specifically 氷遠に mean? I’m tired of looking in several dics without results. I will also leave the source, a screen cap from a game.

It’s Resident Evil (the first one)

1 Like

It’s 永遠に. It means ‘forever’, ‘for eternity’, ‘for all of time’, etc.

The whole thing, by the way, is this in English: (I’ll) love you forever.

9 Likes

thanks a lot! But It’s strange now, you say the word appears in the dics… Maybe I wrote it bad or something. This looks kinda ridiculous right now, asking a single word I mean.
Thanks again, I’ll more careful the next time!

2 Likes

On a separate note, why is 永遠に used? Isn’t 永久に or maybe 永久的に better?

You have it written as 氷遠, which uses the kanji for “ice” instead of 永, which might be why you had trouble finding it in a dictionary.

4 Likes

永遠 has an additional nuance to it that implies the love is unconditional, in the sense that even if things were different, they would still love them. It’s also a difference between tangible vs. intangible.

7 Likes

I do love this kind of explications between similar words. Japanese have a lot of them.

1 Like

So like, until the end of time (永久) vs in any timeline (永遠)?

1 Like

My understanding is that 永久 is literal while 永遠 is (can be?) figurative. At least that’s how WaniKani explained it.

2 Likes

As in, 永久 is normally used for a tangible substance or something that exists as a physical thing in reality, whereas 永遠 will be used for things that aren’t material (in this case, “love” or the concept of love). In essence, you can see 永久 having a timeline of sorts because material/physical things don’t really last “forever”, while 永遠 is supposed to go “beyond” time.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw that too, but it didn’t really make sense to me. So like 永久 is actually forever as in “the hear death of the universe will take forever”. And 永遠 is a hyperbolic al forever? Like “this movie takes forever” or “I’ll love you forever”.

1 Like

There are other words for “forever” as well. 永遠 is easily the most commonly heard of them.

3 Likes

Especially in song lyrics and song titles I’ve seen 永遠 used a ton.

4 Likes

One of the ED’s for one of my favourite anime (Golden Time) is “半永久的に愛してよ” and that would be translated as something the long the lines of “Love me for half an eternity” for lack of better words in English. Here, 永久 is something not tangible. It might just be a song thing but honestly I’m not sure.

Here’s the edit: it’s partial permanence. I should’ve started with the nuance placing more emphasis on the extent of the “eternity”. 永久 has an ending, where 永遠 implies that it doesn’t. That’s pretty much the gist of it. I don’t really know the context for the song name, so I can’t say anything for that.

1 Like

Hi again. I hope It is ok to re use this thread to make more questions related with the same topic. Now there is “this” and I have 0 idea of what It says. I attach a pic:

I’m very sorry about the bad quality.
Maybe It helps but just before the ultra pixeled word there was 強い. So the entire sentence would be: “強いXXを受けており”
Indeed I think that the first kanji is 彰 but I’m not sure…

影響

1 Like

oh god those kanjis…thanks for answering that fast!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.