Private message is now enabled

thanks. clearly a case for the cops. he got arrested, didn’t he?

1 Like

Why do you assume that both parties were based in the US?

6 Likes

There was something like a ‘‘Lolita’’ situation.

But it was decided that tricking underage girls was no longer ok… So PMs were eliminated to avoid further attempts … I assume…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sending this from prison ;_; At least I can still burn my kanji.

1 Like

what an unusually strong reaction to something that has nothing to do with Tofugu LLC and everything with the officials.

people need education these days, not rules that protect them from eating tide pods.

1 Like

Tofugu is based in the USA, IIRC

Well, 仕方がない. It was most likely a panic move from the staff of WK, who certainly wasnt prepared to deal with that kind of situation (and frankly, who can blame them). But yeah, now that the case is cold, it makes little sense.

The girl was american and the guy Canadian, if anyone cares.

2 Likes

This debate has been had many times since the decision was made. They’re not enabling PMs. They don’t have the resources to moderate them. I don’t see the point in resurrecting this discussion yet again.

16 Likes

@temeraire thanks. i think so, too - better nuke the feature than having headlines a la “japanese learning site full of weirdos enabling pedophiles. should have seen it coming, it’s japanese they’re teaching”

@Radish8 i’m not arguing, was just curious.

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s just that the whole debate tends to kick off once more every time somebody stumbles upon the topic.

4 Likes

Sorry, I know it’s offtopic, I just wanted to lighten the atmosphere :sweat_smile:
I think that everything that could be said about this subject has already been said :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

i don’t check the date on threads normally. thought it’s a new feature until i reached the end. they should archive and close it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I do think it should be closed. I’m the same - I just happen to have been around when this thread was started so I recognise it (after spending half a second surprised that they’ve enabled PMs again).

Don’t see what was offtopic about that :wink:

@CyrusS, would it make sense to close this topic, as it mostly serves to confuse people now?

9 Likes

well it was an interesting plot twist at least, a true japanese sad ending :slight_smile:

i prefer my doggos over most people. dogs are open, honest and easy to understand, and they care about the people around them.

1 Like

That’s quite a strange argument. Plenty of sites have private messaging with proper procedures for when unwanted incidents occur. Should we disable private messaging on Facebook and Twitter globally because there are (very definitely) unwanted situations that occur privately that may need to be addressed by law enforcement? Your argument doesn’t apply to, you know, the majority of the Internet where they’ve somehow managed to handle the private interactions that occur between millions upon millions of people.

3 Likes

The argument I was responding to assumes that PMs offer more benefit than the negatives. On this particular site, I don’t see that’s the case, even if you can go and arrest people after they’ve violated other users after the damage is done.

Other sites have their own situations to consider.

If you think PMs offer more positive than negative, then you just have a different perspective than me I guess.

2 Likes

Actually, he is from the Philippines

4 Likes

Just because there’s a way, it doesn’t mean that Tofugu is obliged to spend resources on making it happen. The team is okay with us exchanging discord accounts already, as long as we don’t connect it with Wanikani (think: yooo let’s create a WK server on discord… and if something goes wrong, people will say "Yoo people are going crazy on WK’s discord channel - this happened before btw).

2 Likes

Wasn’t she flying to Canada? I was talking about his nationality, not his ethnicity. Or was it just a rendez vous point?
Either way, that’s interesting, I didn’t know that. It makes more sense that it would have happened, then.

He said he was from the Philippines, living in Singapore; she said she was from the US. Yes, apparently Canada was going to be a rendezvous point. But I’m not sure why any of that matters to anyone now?

3 Likes