Printout for kanji study/writing practice using the Iversen Method

EDIT: For clarity, I use this when I do kanji lessons on WaniKani as a way to absorb the lessons.

So, I don’t know about the Iversen Method’s history or anything, but I learned about it from this youtube video.

Basically, it’s a way of reinforcing something by writing it across the sheet while covering up elements and then repeating that in a cycle.

Here’s the printout I created, exclusively for studying individual kanji.

You start by writing the kanji, the reading, and the meaning. Then you cover up the kanji in the far left column with another piece of paper or a book or something, and write it in the next column over. Then you move your paper one column over and now you write the reading. Continue one column over and write the meaning. And then start all over again across the page.

I made it for myself, but figured other people might be interested.

116 Likes

This is interesting. I’ve been studying grammar for the past three weeks and only started using WaniKani again last week 'cause of exams. This means that while I know somewhere around half of N4 grammar points and half of N4 Kanji, I’m not even halfway done with N5 vocab. So I’ve been meaning to get on that. A good portion of WaniKani vocab isn’t particularly useful (because they’re mainly chosen to reflect the readings of a particular Kanji, rather than based on common usage) or easily understood unless you know basic grammar to get the context sentences, so I was thinking of starting with a list like Core 2k - this way, I can get a decent amount of useful vocab in my head and I can start reading NHK Easy and stuff like that to pick up other vocab.

Problem is, Anki is really bloody boring for me. Wanikani is somehow more engaging, probably because I have to actually type out the stuff, which is something reminiscent of the Iversen Method you mention here. I wouldn’t really have to branch out if there was a WaniKani for immediately useful vocab - but there isn’t. I’ve tried learning some vocab from stuff like the Genki vocab list, but it’s really slow to stick in my mind because I don’t know the Kanji for ‘Airport’! And, I mean, I could learn to write the Kanji, but if the Kanji I’m trying to learn is only used in this particular word, in this particular compound of the Genki vocab list…that’s ridiculously hard to remember for me. I need some cues as to how the Kanji is actually used.

So, my next plan was to learn 3 Kanji a day from the Jouyou (general use) list and at least 5 vocabulary items for each Kanji, making sure it uses every standard reading as well as some special readings. Exceptions include Kanji like 生, which I plan to pick up along the way while reading native materials.

I personally don’t like the idea of writing out a Kanji and then it’s readings with no vocabulary. Readings are useless on their own; they’re abstract syllables that mean nothing to the brain. I would recommend tieing them to actual words; and the readings that don’t get used, you shouldn’t be focusing on remembering anyway. If it comes up a few months from now, you can just look it up on imiwa or jisho.org or whatever. You’ll remember it better that way anyway, because you’re very familiar with the Kanji and it’s ‘readings’ (how it’s pronounced in the vocabulary it’s used in), and once you come across an obscure reading, you’ll brain will think, “that’s not normal,” and remember it better. I don’t know about you, but when something is weird or exceptional, I remember it very easily.

About Kanji meanings - this I’m on board with. However, just learning a Kanji’s meaning in isolation tends to mislead me because it’s an English word that is used as its meaning. Sometimes the definitions are very vague, and I don’t know how it’s really used, so all I’m really remembering is a keyword that hints at its meaning - so when I come across it in an actual sentence, I’m confused as to what the entire sentence really means. This is why context sentences are so awesome. You get the nuance of the meaning in addition to how it’s pronounced in vocabulary.

That’s what has really helped me remember Kanji as well as Vocab. It’s also why I really don’t want to attempt RTK.

EDIT: Wait - are you talking about learning Kanji outside of WaniKani, or reinforcing the Kanji you learn through WaniKani, or both? It’s probably both. Whoops. Oh well. At least I just explained what’s so awesome about WaniKani, I guess. Thanks for the supplementary method; I think it’ll help a good deal!

Sorry for the ramble.

5 Likes

This is something I do at the time of the kanji lessons on WaniKani. Just reading the lesson is often good enough for that immediate lesson quiz, but not good enough for the 4 hour review later. I’ll probably make a vocab version of the sheet at some point, but that’s a little trickier because of how many characters some vocab have, I want to make something that doesn’t waste paper but still has enough writing room.

I won’t bother replying to your post line by line, sorry, but thanks for reading the thread. I’m studying for N1, so I get what you’re saying.

7 Likes

No, that’s fine. If you’re studying for N1, you know better than I how you learn best. I’ve been ‘studying’ Japanese for about 3 years now but only recently really delved into the language 2 months ago.

I’ll leave the comment as is anyway; maybe someone newer to the language than I can glean something from it.

3 Likes

You might be interested in Houhou if Anki is boring for you. It’s basically like a wanikani copy with a built in dictionary and kanji looker-upper that’s compatible with wanikani’s radicals. It’s got the same type in the answer-style questions and SRS timings as well but you can add your own vocab.

2 Likes

I actually already have HouHou on my Windows laptop (on my Mac currently). I heard about it a year ago on WaniKani somewhere and tried it out for a bit two months ago, but I completely forgot about it until now.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I think I’ll give it another go soon.

1 Like

hey, this is nice! i’ve been just writing the kanji and the reading for the sake of practice in writing, but never actually looked at it again or drilled on it. i think i might just follow the pattern in any paper. looks fun.

also, did you put 4 columns to have 3-charm tries? interesting

1 Like

There wasn’t any particular thought process to the column width except that that was the most columns you can fit while having a comfortable amount of writing space. But I agree that it’s a good number of times to repeat each one to feel good about if you know them.

1 Like

thank you very much for this method, I think that was the first time I managed to get 100% on the first review of lessons!

3 Likes

This looks like a great method =)
I just printed out 20 pages to do all lvl 1-10 kanji (making sure not to overwork myself, so will have to do just a few a day though, butt I’ll catch up eventually :wink: )

Would love to see one for vocabs too! =D

1 Like

NICE ONE leebo! Looks like a great method. Thanks for that.

1 Like

This looks amazing, Leebo! Thank you so much for sharing!

2 Likes

This is dope. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing, I’ll be using this method. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

That looks great. Can you share a Google Drive Spreadsheet with the one you use? Pleaase?

1 Like

Thanks to this thread I started using the Iversen method last night. What a great way to learn! Thank you!

2 Likes

Starting tomorrow I’m going to use the ordinary sheet for learning radicals and the special Kanji one OP made for Kanji readings when that time comes. Thanks, OP!

1 Like

Hi! How is it so far? Can you easily write kanji lvl 1-10 and maybe above?

1 Like

Gotta be honest, I printed them out… then… er… life?

1 Like