[Preview]: Upcoming wkstats.com changes (Have you reset your level?)

I’m seeing the X days, 24 hours as well. For me level 14 is currently showing 8 days, 0 hours and then level 15 is 7 days, 24 hours, which is kind of strange.

I’m also noticing that the projected level up from the front page is very different. Obviously my days on level can’t be paid attention to in the old version due to my reset, but here’s what I’m seeing.

image image

2 days, 7 hours would put me into early Sunday morning my time. I think the Saturday estimate of the original is more accurate based on the dates of one of the SRS scripts I have on my dash and the way I time my lessons. Unless the new one already knows I’m going to mess something up. :sweat_smile:

Otherwise, I agree with @seanblue on both the possible reverse sort option, and the ability to toggle all the SRS levels on or off all at once as being useful options.

I also noted that the radicals aren’t grayed out like other locked items on the items page. They do hide if I hide locked, but it’s a little weird that they have dark text and other locked items don’t. Right now on the WK page with it grouped first by item type, then by level, sorted by item, colored by SRS stage and nothing hidden, none of the radicals show with grayed out text right up to level 60. Not sure if this is due to the way the radical images are saved, but thought I’d mention it. One sort I did with them showing next to other locked items made it really obvious that they were different. Not a big deal, but… :woman_shrugging:

And now that I’ve seen your follow up on what you’re looking for… :laughing:

The graph looks good to me after my reset. It took me a second to find it, and I do kind of miss having it on the front page, but no big deal. It’s not up yet, but what I’d really like to see is the projections as mine are often a hot mess on the old version since my reset.

I really love all the sort options to play with the data on the items pages. No more comma separation for copy and paste? Not a big deal to me, I’d only want to snag any JLPT kanji not on WK anyway. Looks like they paste without spaces as well, but it’s not that much info to separate if I want to SRS it some other way.

Overall I really like it, the different look for the items page will get a little getting used to, though I can’t put my finger on just what it is about it that makes me hesitant to just say I really love it. I think the only thing I’d like to see that’s not there on the current pages for data would be the restart date and days since on the front page like the actual start date, but since not everyone has a reset date, that’s probably not really necessary for the general WK user population.

Sorry to TL;DR!

Yep, I noticed that not long ago. The radicals are rendered via vector graphics, which requires a separate styling rule. Anyway, it’s on my bug list.

I’ll probably merge it onto the dashboard before I’m done. The final organization is going to depend a lot on what the Projections section ends up looking like. I’m saving that for last because it needs the most change.

I do plan to add that back in, but I want to find a better way to do it. Like maybe a ‘copy’ link on the right side of each group.

Hmm… it’s actually supposed to have a ‘Restart Date’ in addition to ‘Start Date’ if it detects that you’ve reset all the way back to Level 1… but I see that it’s not doing that on your account. I’ll check it out.

[EDIT: Actually, I see it’s there when I load the page from scratch, but it’s not there if I nav away, then nav back. Interesting…]

Also, I’m considering adding a hover-popup on the Level-up chart, so you can see the exact date for the start and end of each level (and reset dates). Whether I get around to that depends how much time I have.

I was just coming to report this. If I click the the graphic, it’s there, but not if I choose the dashboard option under progress.

Okay, that’s fixed now. It was in a load-once section of the code, instead of in the render-each-time code.

@seanblue,
What device are your small screenshots on? What is the screen’s resolution? (For that matter, what browser is it?)

I’m using Chrome’s built-in tools to test on small screens, with the smallest screen size being 450px wide. I’m guessing you’re at around 360px? Since I haven’t used a screen resolution that small for web surfing before, what would be a typical way to handle a wide text field like the APIv2 key on the login screen?

Also, I have no explanation for the strange gray bars, and haven’t been able to reproduce it. The body’s background-color is #FFF, so the transparency gradient along the sides of the menu should be showing white, not gray. :thinking:

Playing around with the styles a little… maybe this will trigger a thought?

Style 1 (current):

Style 2:

I actually reset it about two months ago but I did go back to level 1

I’m using an iPhone 8 (regular size version), Safari browser.

That may be one factor. The other thing is that the old stats site said I was on level 10 for 10 days 21 hours, where the new site says it’s 18 days and 4 hours (which is correct). So your new API2 level duration calculation method is working much better.

I do find the second option less “busy” for sure. I don’t hate the first one by any stretch, but the second is much cleaner without all the additional boxes. Though that’s not at all regarding functionality or anything, so it’s not really a big deal.

2 Likes

I’m personally a fan of #1. I feel like #2 has too much white that it would be a strain to look at after a while.

I think option 2 is slightly better, but maybe something in between would be best. Instead of black/dark grey or light grey/white, try dark grey/light grey.

Could you translate that to CSS? :sweat_smile:

I’ve been grouping the color schemes inside the files so they can be easily extracted for theming. I’m betting someone will come up with a dark theme within an hour of the site going public. It’s like an OCD thing or something :grin:. Anyway, I’ll gladly add a dark theme option if someone else puts the scheme together. I prefer black-on-white like a printed page, with my screen brightness turned down to where it’s like looking at paper. That’s supposedly a lot better for your eyes.

#bbb and #ddd perhaps?

I would also like a dark theme built into the website so I can use it on my phone as well.

Ahh, you mean in general. I was thinking you were talking about specific elements.

For the two colors, I was just responding to the two pictures you posted and the black bar with grey background of the grey bar with white background. For the grades and levels.

@seanblue @Tru,

Regarding sort direction…

There’s “sort direction” and “sort order”.

• Sort direction is either “123” or “321”.
  • Sort order is “123”, “132”, “213”, “231”, “312”, “321” (i.e. arbitrary order)

Also, there are several categories that can be sorted:

• Level
    • Wanikani – Level 1, Level 2, …, Level 60
    • JLPT – N5, N4, …, N1
    • Joyo – Grade 1, Grade 2, …, Grade 9
  • Item type – radicals, kanji, vocabulary
  • SRS stage – Not on WK, Locked, Lesson, Apprentice 1, …, Burned
  • Item Name – (alphabetical order)

For each of these categories, what sort options would you personally use other than the default “ascending”?
Are there any categories where you would use an arbitrary order? If so, for what purpose?

Keep in mind, there are four levels of sorting currently happening:

• Primary group order
  • Secondary group order
  • Primary item order within a group
  • Secondary item order within a group (e.g. if you use “Sort By SRS Stage”, all items at the same SRS stage are sorted alphabetically).

Obviously, the interface could get really complicated if all four levels supported arbitrary sort order.
But I might be able to keep it simple if I only add a sort direction. Maybe something like this:

I can’t think of any reason to have an arbitrary sort. I think just ascending and descending is sufficient. I would allow people to set ascending and descending individually for the primary group order, secondary group order, and primary item order within a group. For secondary item order, I would always keep it ascending since it’s not exposed to the user in the config options. What do you use as the secondary item order within a group if the primary item order within a group is alphabetically (Item Name)?

1 Like

If the primary item order is alphabetical, the only time secondary item order does anything is when a kanji and vocabulary are the same, like 人 (kanji) and 人 (vocab). So, item type (rad, kan, voc) is the only one worth considering for secondary item order.

Out of curiosity, do you feel “Not on WK” should be first or last?

I’m torn. "first’ puts all the unlearned stuff together. ‘last’ kind of feels like the leftover stuff, and is how the old site is organized.