Post your J-CAT score!

It’s ok, I guess, given that I haven’t done anything but kanji for a year. I found the test really frustrating though, I felt like I was doing really bad and I missed a few questions beause I didn’t finish reading. :frowning:

jcat

Adaptive tests are like that. When you get answers right they makes it harder

1 Like

That feeling when you take J-CAT.

It’s overwhelming as the questions get harder, but then when the questions get easier you know you screwed up the previous question’s answer :joy:

5 Likes

Finally took the test after reading about it on the forums here. Feeling slightly demotivated with my score. Grammar leaves a lot to be desired

jcat

Well, that’s not bad, actually. Having a weakness means you will get crazy improvements with focused learning.

Edit: if you get it to the same level as the rest, you get in the high N3- low N2 range. Not bad!

Grammar is weird with the J-CAT. I wish they’d give people 45 seconds at least. I think it would make a big difference. With vocab, I’m more comfortable with the 30 seconds.

Then you get some reading and listening questions with stupidly long time limits. It’s especially silly for listening, since the time limit should really only apply to when the audio ends.

2 Likes

|Section|Score|

|Listening|78|
|Vocabulary|50|
|Grammar|48|
|Reading|69|
|Total|245|

Man, this was hard. Listening was pretty good, but vocabulary was just terrible. The time wasn’t enough for me. I know I would do bad in grammar, cause I suck on it in every language, but vocabulary was a surprise, need to advance more on wani.

Also lost 2 questions on reading because I didn’t payed enought attention to the timer. --’

4 Likes

gets highest score anyone has posted
complains that the test is hard

12 Likes

Well, by the logic of the test, mine was indeed harder. hahahaha

7 Likes

It’s been exactly a year since I started learning Japanese so I thought it would be worth trying to do this test for the first time.

Capture

I spent almost the entire listening part of the test facepalming hoping it would end. With the exception of one question (How many people are in your family) I understood very little and had to guess.

I felt confident with vocabulary with Kanji in particular but I struggled with the non-kanji words and Katakana.

Grammar I struggle with a lot but I felt more confident then the listening part even though I did worse.

Reading I answered a few questions and then skipped though every other questions.

If the quiz wasn’t multiple choice I probably would have scored no more than 10-15 points. At times I feel like I’m really making progress with the language but these type of tests really show how far there is to go. I think I’ll avoid taking these tests until my grammar and listening skills have improved.

Also, I was reading some of the test instructions as literal questions like ‘Fill in the _____’ and I was confused thinking why none of the answered (A,B,C,D) correlate to the questions, it took me a while to figure out it wasn’t part of the question…

This just reminded that i never got a password sent to me to take it :triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph: gotta try again i guess

1 Like

Fiiiiiinally took the thing on Sunday. Honestly? I’m cool with these results, I did better than I thought I might.

jcat

4 Likes

Check your spambox, mine always goes into the spam folder

2 Likes

Welp, moved away form Japan almost two years ago. Just registered for a J-CAT. Let’s see how much I forgot!

1 Like

Finally had time to try it out!

|Listening |79|
|Vocabulary |50|
|Grammar |58|
|Reading |58|
|合計 |245|

4 Likes

%E7%AF%84%E5%9B%B2%E3%82%92%E9%81%B8%E6%8A%9E_021

Boi, talking to one’s Japanese grandma does help with listening! (Even though there was no だべ in the listening section)
@gojarappe, I hope you will take full advantage of that.

Grammar was super stressful for me (as mentioned by others above in the thread). I spent more time thinking “oh sh*t, how much time do I have left?” than reading the questions…

4 Likes

うちのばあちゃんがいちばんだいすき!:sparkling_heart:

This is really impressive, Nath! How long have you been studying Japanese again?

I’ve been wanting to take the J-Cat but I figured I should wait until I’ve six months of studying. Hopefully, by June, I じーばー won’t (lovingly) call me ごじゃ as much! I’m aiming for おりこさんだね。。。

1 Like

Yih, I knew you were better than me at japanese, but that’s a pretty big gap. I’ll catch up in no time, so watch your back :eyes:

1 Like

I’ve been “actively” learning Japanese for about 10 years.
By actively, I mean that I am telling people that yes, I am indeed studying Japanese.

Before that, I had a bit of exposure, but I was a stupid teenager who believed that learning Japanese was pointless anyway. If I could, I’d just go back and smack myself upon the head. “You do your kanji practice right this instant, or you will regret it later!”

As for the more recent past, I haven’t really done anything in terms of study before joining (again) WK at the end of last month. Basically, I completely stopped everything once I got the N1 two years ago.

I can hear it right as I write. With that special grandma intonation.

alwayswatchin

1 Like