Possible typo in 思わず example sentence?

In the vocabulary word 思わず (“Unintentionally”), one of the example sentences goes like this:
コウイチがすんげー大きな音のオナラをしたから、みんな思わず耳をふさいだんだけど、はなをふさいだ方がよかったね。

Koichi farted sooooo loudly that everybody reflexively covered their ears, but we should have covered our noses instead.

Oh, Koichi! Not again!

Anyway, I was wondering if “すんげー” shouldn’t be “すげー” … but then after a google search, I concluded that すんげー is probably slang for すげー which is already slang for すごい. Unless I’m missing something which is also likely.

Nevertheless! OK, probably not a typo at all, but I still decided to post this mainly because of the wonderful translation that Google came up with which is a lesson to Never Trust Google Translate:

Because Koichi played a big sound of big sound, everyone unexpectedly blocked their ears, it would have been better to close the birds.

2 Likes

Have you seen our lovely compendium here?
https://community.wanikani.com/t/google-translate-found-poems

1 Like

すんげー is actually fine. It’s an oral deformation of the word, with even more emphasis than usual.
(I haven’t checked @Subversity’s link, though, so maybe it explains the same thing)
Edit: nope, it’s about google translate only, but fun nonetheless.

2 Likes

Wow – that’s… incredible!

To elaborate, this ん is basically っ but for consonants that can’t be geminated. あんまり is the same principle.

I’ve also seen すっごい but would call that perhaps even less correct. Either that or it corresponds to the different ways of pronouncing ‘g’.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I always forget about the nasal G variant since most of the people I hear speaking Japanese use a hard G sound.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.