😉 polv Study Logs 📑 and Tools 🛠

Gaming is fun, of course; and MMO has its place, although I am not very much into gaming at the moment. I had been into Hash and Slash type for a while.

Perhaps also about being social, or not…

Week 6 (Aug 1) of Q3 of 2022 :beach_umbrella:'s reflection

I decidedly continued reading JoJo, but rather than reading carefully and looked up everything, I only look up enough not to drop my attention, so that the speed can continue.

So, I eventually finished reading JoJo Part 2.

On listening, I finished watching となりの怪物くん, which is actually half-reading with JP sub.

I am able to find Hunter x Hunter (1999), and I find it listenable, with no sub; so I might continue with the series, and perhaps being fast enough with club. (Don’t mind me if I go ahead, though.) That time of Samurai Champloo (no sub) was hard to listen for me.

I didn’t set up anymore speaking or a class yet, and I am not going to that online speaking meet-up at 1 AM in the morning.

Regarding the tactics for Japanese learning, to me, much of listening is already similar to reading – simply vocabularies and grammar. There might also be other less priority differences, however.

Maybe I should echo my words from the other week. Weekly Google Sheets’s are useful, much of it is about researching, including learning more about Kanji; and writing down my thoughts.

I watched that YouTube on vanilla’s thought after long learning. (I also saw vanilla’s introduction in another topic.) Maybe there are some other interesting learners’ YouTube, I just forgot.

On Sunday, I got a chance to pass by a Kinokuniya bookstore, so I got myself a grammar workbook from Tobira series.

Each chapter has 基礎 (foundation), 応用 (try) and 発展 (expand); that it looks interesting.

3 Likes

Week 7 (Aug 8) of Q3 of 2022 :beach_umbrella:'s planning and progress

• Listening everyday for at least 30 minutes :headphones:
    • 1 hour worth of listening materials that looking aren’t needed (e.g. audiobook, podcast)
      • かがみの孤城 (上) Ch.1 - May [3]
    • Anime with JP sub :tv:
      • Dr. Stone EP.2+
    • Watching without sub is also considered.
      • Hunter x Hunter (1999) EP.3+
        • Even if might be physically possible, I might not rush ahead of the club, so as to listen more deeply.
      • Iryu Team Medical Dragon S01
    • NHK for School, especially on 国語
  • Vocalizing –
    • Will try to move away from Hukumusume, not guaranteeing that I would do it everyday.
  • Communicating (voice, chat) (which days of the week?)
    • Admittedly, is a key to fluency.
    • Not focusing on bad habit or not, rn (which is for being hired or fitting in, but not the priority and not a component of fluency)
  • Composing / Writing (which days of the week?)
    • Grammar book should be a best starting point.
      • 上級へのとびら これで身につく文法力, bought just yesterday
  • Grammar points –
    • Might look deeper into Bunpro later
  • Reading
    • Long text with no visual cues, of multiple “pages” (e.g. novel) would be specially considered
    • 3 volumes of manga
      • (Finished) ブラックジャックによろしく Vol.1
        • If I want to read it eventually, why not now?
      • (Finished) Hunter x Hunter Vol.1
      • Shadows House Vol.1 Ch.5+
      • (Finished) それでも歩は寄せてくる Vol.1 Ch.5+
    • Novel (1 chapter of novel)
      • Admittedly, not a priority.
      • かがみの孤城 (上) Ch.1 - May
        • Will try to switch to listening only, if my understanding is good enough.
      • Night Cafe Vol.2 (Not bought yet)
      • TUGUMI
      • 妖怪の子預かります Vol.1 Ch.3

Vocabulary / Kanji list of the week

2 Likes

Week 7 (Aug 8) of Q3 of 2022 :beach_umbrella:'s reflection

This week, I might say I don’t do much, but it actually means, I didn’t do according to the plan. I have other assignments in life, which are obviously more important than my petty Japanese learning.

Reading-wise, I managed to finish ブラックジャックによろしく Vol.1, and looked into the first chapter in Vol.2; Hunter x Hunter Vol.1 as well. (So, clean two in a week.) The reason I read Hunter x Hunter was I didn’t understand watching the 1999 anime well enough. The reading wasn’t exactly too fast, but I was tolerant enough to read multiple chapters in one of each settings.

• I still don’t know the difference between 医者 and 医師.

I managed to watch some anime with not so great understanding, as well as listened to some storytelling-type YouTube’s. Anything that reading isn’t required, as I don’t have time (or rather, I can’t focus on using time).

I tried reading that Tobira workbook, but well, the instruction said to read Tobira textbook first, anyway. Fill in the blanks and multiple choices are quite simple, but composing (with requirements/restrictions) would require more basics and efforts

So, then, I tried Bunpro in Cram mode. Indeed, I made quite a lot of mistakes. Realistically, I expect more from explanation and comparing; as well as I don’t exactly like broken English hints. (At some point, I also don’t want to excessively read English.) It would be nice if some (or all) “mistakes” are recorded. Some are outright wrong, but some should need explanation whether mine is an alternative, barely right, or outright wrong…

It might be possible for be to convert Maggie-sensei or some other websites to Vuepress or alike, with interactive components, but I wonder if it would worth the effort?

1 Like

Week 8 (Aug 15) of Q3 of 2022 :beach_umbrella:'s planning and progress

• Listening :headphones: everyday for at least 30 minutes –
    • 1 hour worth of listening materials that looking aren’t needed (e.g. audiobook, podcast)
      • かがみの孤城 (上) Ch.1 - May [3]
      • Podbeans (podcast)
    • Anime with JP sub :tv:
    • Watching without sub is also considered.
      • Hunter x Hunter (1999) EP.7+
      • 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない EP.3+
    • NHK for School, especially on 国語
  • Reading :books:
    • 1 volume of manga
      • (Finished) Shadows House Vol. 1 Ch.9+
      • Hunter x Hunter Vol.2
      • Clear my 積読 pile first?
    • 1 chapter of novel
      • 妖怪の子預かります Vol.1 Ch.4
      • かがみの孤城 (上) Ch.1 - May
        • Will try to switch to listening only, if my understanding is good enough.
      • Night Cafe Vol.2 (Not bought yet)
  • Sentence analysis
    • Particle focus, of sentences in a transcript might be a best idea.
  • Structured grammar learning
    • N5 focused, e.g. on Bunpro
  • Vocalizing –
  • Communicating (voice, chat)
  • Composing / Writing

Vocabulary / Kanji list of the week

4 Likes

Week 8 (Aug 15) of Q3 of 2022 :beach_umbrella:'s reflection

Next post is a requirement to updating Progress post without pushing up the Recently Updated list.

1 Like