POLL: Should I wait for EtoEto, or should I start TextFugu?

• Wait for EtoEto
  • Start TextFugu

0 voters

Thanks!
Edit: I have studied Japanese for around 5 years, so I know grammar somewhat decently. I was never taught many kanji, which is why I am in WaniKani right now!

It could be a long while for Eto Eto. Highly recommend starting some type of grammar study before then. Doesn’t have to be textfugu, but something at least.

Option 3: Neither.

Get yourself a proper textbook or use one of the many other free online resources. If you’re waiting for etoeto you will never stop waiting.

Absolutely don’t wait. If not TextFugu, use Genki or something. Try to supplement with something like Japanese Pod 101. There are plenty of people here and on other japanese-learning oriented sites that go through it together, so join up and do it.

Kanji is great, but useless without grammar.

I’ve been studying grammar quite a bit… it’s learning kanji and vocab that seems more critical to me at least for right now! That’s why I am confused whether I should wait it out or not.

Neither

Use Wanikani for Kanji, other resources for grammar. Download one of the core vocab sets if words is what you want.

Delaying learning for years for a product that does not exist is always a bad idea.

Coming Soon™ is a very different soon that the one used in everyday language.

Then you’re probably past TextFugu.

And why would you ever wait for a resource to start learning? You could study grammar with some other resource now and then switch over to EtoEto when it is ready, if you want.

If you just want vocab, check out vocab decks in anki or memrise.

I voted taking your edit into account.

As far as I understand it, Textfugu covers basic grammar. If you’ve been learning grammar for five years already, you should be beyond it.

EDIT: I fully agree with tmhart. You might want to look at Tobira or something depending on your grammar level.

Well reading this makes me happy that I start with Genki on monday, Was going to start this week but life had its way of making my plans… go sideways.

Would it be a good idea to start considering JLPT practice tests?

Maybe N5 after you finish Genki I or most of the way through, and N4 practice test after you finish II? That’s my plan, anyways. You can always look at prep textbooks too, if you’re actually meaning to take the tests for certification for work (and not just for fun).

My long term goal is N2, but this year is at least N5, N4 if i feel ready. I"m aiming to start up a small scenery design shop for my flight sim that specializes in Japanese scenery (SO many cool airports in japan)

Then definitely go for a practice test or books. I’ve linked directly to the N5 one i believe in the top of the Genki study thread, and it and all the levels are linked somewhere in the J-CAT thread. You might want to try that to see where you are now, if you’ve studied grammar and listening previously. It can give you a pretty good ballpark of where you’re at, and what you’re lacking in (and it’s free!).

I recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ioRPuBcfw&list=PLwGjqS2iLnwV1lBfUo6VuWmMaWUJnxLMK

He does a good job of talking about many different grammar points that I haven’t seen in textbooks

In case you plan on buying a lifetime membership anyway:

“All Lifetime members of TextFugu will automatically be added to a lottery to join the Alpha of EtoEto as well as receive a free Lifetime account when EtoEto before it is publicly released.”

And yes, that typo is on the textfugu pricing website as well :wink:

I would make your way through a beginner’s grammar course like Genki I & II. You might already be past that if you’ve been studying quite a bit. But that will help you drill all the conjugations you need, the conditional, the passive, the causative, the causative-passive, the potential, etc. 文型 you can pick up through reading or through a book like どんなときどう使う. But you do really need to drill the conjugations since you won’t get far not knowing them.

Definitely this. After that there are a couple of intermediate books recommended but you need to know these two like the back of your hand before moving on.

I think the recommendation after Genki 2 is An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese or Tobira. Tobira continues from Genki with the omission of ~のために~ which the authors say they should have put in at the start.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.