Pokemon and WaniKani Levels

This question/thread is twofold:

1. Based on the level guidelines I read in the FAQ that I accessed through my WaniKani welcome emails, I think that I’ll be able to play through a video game in Japanese once I have reached roughly level 30. For those of you familiar with the traditional Pokemon video games, would you agree with that assessment? If so, please let me know. If not, please tell me roughly what level you think I might be able to tackle one of the Pokemon games without too much trouble.

2. How long does it take to reach level 30? I’m looking for user experience here. I feel like I’m catching on moderately quickly. There was a pause of a day or two at the beginning, but I’m learning much more quickly now and am pleased to see that I’m getting new items wrong much less than I did when I started.

Bonus. What is your favorite Pokemon? If you visit serebii.net, their Pokedex contains their Japanese names as well. =]

Depends on how much grammar you know.

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by playing it. You could possibly play Pokemon at lvl 30 but it would definitely still be a big struggle, lvl 40 you could somewhat comfortably but still looking up quite a fair bit of words. One thing to keep in mind is the Pokemon games have a lot of words that aren’t typically found in your day to day conversations. Also what @seanblue said, my description was basically on the assumption that you’re keeping up with your grammar at a decent pace along with your kanji/vocab studies.

At a moderately decent pace it will take you roughly 6-7 months to reach lvl 30.

Also my favorite pokemon is shaymin (シェイミ)

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that all pokemon moves are written in katakana, to my knowledge, so kanji doesn’t really make a difference in battles.

As for speed, I find that, for people not trying to complete each level super fast or using userscripts, it seems to take around two weeks to complete a level. I complete my levels in an average of about 9 days, and the fastest possible time on most levels is 7 days and 10 hours 6 days 20 hours, so it really can vary based on your speed.

Let’s say you’re like me, and you pull out all of the stops for Wanikani short of setting alarms to get you up in the middle of the night to ensure you’re not a few hours late with your level-relevant reviews. At an average of 9 days per level, it’d take you around 8 months to go from level 3 to level 30.

1 Like

It’s 6 days and 20 hours for most levels up to level 30. The short levels (all but one of which are after level 30) take 3 days and 10 hours.

2 Likes

Whoops. Thanks. Haven’t seen the numbers in a while and completely misremembered what they were.

I prefer https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page :wink:

1 Like

For the Pokemon games you should be aware that everything before Black & White uses only Hiragana and Katakana. Later games have a Kanji option.

2 Likes

Both have up- and downsides though. I always feel that hiragana only can be pretty hard to read even if I know the words - but pixelated kanji are also not that great… ^^;

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.