Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Not anymore it seems.

You should close the poll or decide on a date to close the poll to not have the problem of not knowing which speed to go.(to not have a sudden change of mind or change. I mean by that suddenly changing what was agreed upon) I also suggest making a poll for which of the three options we go with. @Azmo is the one in charge right?

I just want to remind that it is an advanced book club. :eyes:
Again I will go with the poll result. It is interesting to note that there is also a lot of minimal effort for the those who looked at the first few pages.

2 Likes

Also, the first week’s page count is the same for both the “slow” version and medium 1. There’s also barely any difference between the two anyway. Plus, medium 1 has a nice steady increase at the start, so we can easily see how the group is holding, possibly stopping the increase in speed if there’s an issue. For those reasons, I say we go with medium 1. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I mean, it’s still twice as fast as intermediate book club. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you can just decide that one. You already have a range in the OP, so people shouldn’t be too surprised. Usually threads are created Friday or Saturday, so you just want to pick a day and be consistent.

4 Likes

For completeness, this is what the slow option would have been. I should have posted this from the beginning anyway.

Slow Option
  • Much slower start
  • Two weeks with slightly less than 30 pages (excluding week 1)
  • Average of 31 pages per week (compared to 34 pages per week in the medium speed options)
  • Standard deviation of 6.26 (3.27 if ignoring first week).
Week # Page Count Chapters
1 14 Prologue/Ch1
2 31 Ch2-4
3 32 Ch5-7
4 34 Ch8-10
5 38 Ch11-13
6 29 Ch14-15
7 28 Ch16-17
8 37 Ch18-20
9 36 Ch21-23
10 34 Ch24-25
11 30 Ch26/Epilogue

And with that, I’m done discussing the speed. I’m not running the book club, just participating, and since I’m not at an advanced level it’s not surprising that I’m gravitating towards the slower speed out of self interest. But I’ll go along with whatever the group decides and try my best to keep up.

7 Likes

Damn, I was so happy to see 本好きの下剋上 in the title but even the slow schedule seems way too fast for me :crying_cat_face:
I guess I’ll bookmark your discussion threads and come back when I’m better at reading.
Enjoy the story everyone :orange_heart:

My life

Being one day able to read this book is keeping me motivated to learn Japanese because I love this story :hugs:
I was reading a fan trad of the WN (I think? Might have been the LN :thinking:) that stopped partly because the novel became licensed for English releases, that made me want to start learning Japanese again (I have tried for years and quickly gave up each time) and led me to WK :crabigator:

9 Likes

You can still try and just be slightly behind or you can read in advance if you want. You seem passionate about it so you may want to give it a try anyway? I don’t know your Japanese level but your WK one is pretty high so maybe it will work? Only one way to find out right? Don’t worry about being behind my first time I was behind by some months so you can’t be worse than me :grin:

Btw do we have a start date?

4 Likes

We have a start range, but @Azmo hasn’t picked an official start date yet.

2 Likes

I’ll wait and see how I fare with 魔女の宅急便 first but I might :thinking: The only thing I have read so far (apart from some articles from NHK Newr Easy) is チーズスイートホーム, clearly not the same level of difficulty x)
As for my level in Japanese… I don’t know much more vocab than what is taught on WK and I am (very) slowly working my way through N4 for the grammar (I’ll double down on it once I don’t have any more lessons here then go learn common vocab without kanji in it)

I did buy the book more than a year ago (and it sits on my bookshelf, taunting motivating me), does that count as being behind? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You could follow along with the manga version stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

3 Likes

I do also have the first volume of the manga but it’s just not the same ._.
At least, I already know the story (the fan trad I mentioned went until half of 2nd part, I am reading a fan trad of the manga and I’ve seen the two seasons of the anime series :stuck_out_tongue:) so it should help :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Following your suggestion of picking a Saturday as start date, that leaves us with the 15th. It’s also smack in the middle of the proposed range, so it sounds appropriate.

In other news, I’m planning to put up the home thread of 本好き today. (I wanted to do that yesterday but then life happened)

No, since we haven’t started yet. You are still ahead!

7 Likes

Oh, if you’re running the book club I’ll have to direct all my complaints towards you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

9 Likes

Well, we now have a home thread for the book.

15 Likes

@Naphthalene taking care of all the book club threads. :eyes:

11 Likes

Gotta step up to increase my threads count. Those are rookie numbers.

More seriously, this one is my own nomination, so I feel it’s my responsibility.

14 Likes

Oh, also, read aloud session is not a thing I do, but would anyone be interested in one?

is there even a time slot remaining, with all the other book clubs around?

It wouldn’t necessarily need to be a completely different time slot - if there’s enough people interested who aren’t in the other book clubs doing read alouds, having it be on the same day or even at the same time wouldn’t be a problem. :slight_smile:

That said, I’m quite full up on read aloud’s until either re zero or kemono ends, so even if read aloud was organized, if anything I’d be a rare guest having a look if the 都合 was good. ^^

2 Likes

I thought that the story was that it was my responsibility

3 Likes

That means that he will stay in the head with the thread numbers…

I mean glad to know you are taking your responsibility.

Btw how do you write small characters?

If I learned something is that whenever there is something to do and no one wants to do it your name strangely pop up. It’s like they pray to some god to help them do their job or they dump their job on you. Take which one you prefer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes