Japanese

大陸の中央に位置する、とある大国。その皇帝のおひざ元に一人の娘がいた。
名前は、猫猫まおまお
花街で薬師をやっていたが現在とある事情にて後宮で下働き中である。
そばかすだらけで、けして美人とはいえぬその娘は、分相応に何事もなく年季があけるのを待っていた。
まかり間違っても帝が自分を“御手付き”にしない自信があったからだ。

English

(Taken from the English release)
In the East is a land ruled by an emperor, whose consorts and serving women live in a sprawling complex known as the rear palace. Maomao, an unassuming girl raised in an unassuming town by her apothecary father, never imagined the rear palace would have anything to do with her—until she was kidnapped and sold into service there.

Length : 344
Category : easy-ish

Availability

Amazon
BookLive, BookWalker

Personal Opinion

This is both a mystery novel and a romance novel, in a setting inspired by Medieval China. The main character has insane medical skills, which allows her to solve various cases (I’d love to say more, but that would be spoiler). Despite wanting nothing more than being left alone, her skills do not go unnoticed…
I haven’t seen a book club in that setting yet and I thought it would be a good match for this club.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• The main character is great.
  • Medieval China-like setting. Expect a lot of crazy kanji (especially in names) and words with dated reading.

Cons

• A tad difficult for the easy category for those unfamiliar with the setting.
  • It’s an ongoing series
  • If you go past volume 3, and especially up to volume 5, assault trigger warning

Pictures

Cf. the preview of either BookLive or BookWalker.

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

2 Likes