Please fix mnemonics with conflated English meanings

this is great in theory, but not so helpful if you’re actually trying to communicate with someone, since what they understand is just as important as what you mean :sweat_smile:

I’m with @pm215 on this. the word itself is commonly used as an insult, and the particular paragraph in which you used it pretty strongly implies that you thought the staff know about the issues but don’t care, aren’t willing to fix them and should feel guilty about it (that’s the most common way of interpreting the text, it doesn’t matter if that’s how you intended it to convey).

and I say this as someone who’s proud of my laziness…

7 Likes

We’ll need to agree to disagree then!

@TofuguNico I just found another one I would recommend changing: 密 The roof of a certain mountain shrouds its contents in secrecy.

The 必 radical means “certain” in the sense of it being a sure thing, from “certainty”; not “a specific thing”.

3 Likes

as always, there’s a relevant xkcd…

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll inform the content team and see about getting this changed.

Quick update to let you know that the mnemonic for was changed.

1 Like

Hey! Sorry I just saw this. I obviously don’t hang out on this forum frequently enough…
I never meant to imply that the responsibility for a miscommunication lies entirely with the listener. I am sorry for inadvertently causing all this drama. I clearly didn’t express myself in a way that was appreciated, so regardless of my opinion and approach to communication, I’ll take 100% of the responsibility for the miscommunication myself :slight_smile: hope this resolves the issue!

2 Likes

hey, I’m not saying you were 100% responsible, just that it’s good to consider how people are going to respond to your wording :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s not how it came across to me! I guess that’s something we both need to work on lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.