Please don't add new vocabulary without audio

My dude I don’t know who you are but every time I read one of your responses it absolutely kills me. Thank you for all the laughs.

1 Like

2 Likes

Totally agree. New words without audio isn’t helpful for me.

When I saw it on the first sight I thought it was a bug.

2 Likes

Looks like they’ll have the audio up within the next couple of weeks:

:smiley:

6 Likes

Are you Groucho Marx reincarnated?

3 Likes

:clap: great news, guess I’ll just keep doing reviews until they’re uploaded. Practically all of my new lessons are audio-less!

1 Like

Aaaand @plantron-さん wins yet again.

laughing sai

4 Likes

I’ve just noticed - they’ve added the audio!
I meowst say, with audio it’s so meowch better than without audio! :cat2:

4 Likes

What if they add the audio, but recorded by a cat?

2 Likes

Hm… Not sure…
I guess they can use dog to record the audio for 湾 though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I almost didn’t notice. I use the Female voice, which some vocab doesn’t have. So, the audio symbol would indicate that there’s no audio, which wouldn’t be true since the Male voice is available.
If your selected audio (Male/Female) isn’t available, but the other is available, it should automatically use that available audio instead of graying out the audio button.

1 Like

I’ve had audio off from day 1 so I never even noticed…

I really recommend listening to the audio. I always have audio on when doing lessons and reviews. It’s especially helpful listen to the pitch accent while you’re learning the words, something that is very difficult to correct later.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought at the beginning but there are exceptions.

First, the particles は, を and へ are not phonetic.

Second, you can figure out when a vowel can be devoiced or not but it’s still not written.
For example the す in ですか is not pronounced like the す in ですが

Third, there are vowels which may lenghten a preceding vowel or be pronounced by themselves. For example, 王(おう) is not pronounced like 追う(おう)

Finally and most importantly, pitch accent is not written so you may think that the words 工場(こうじょう) and 恒常(こうじょう) are pronounced the same but they are not.

We could also include the nasal g in the exceptions.

3 Likes

In case you didn’t know, Japanese has pitch accent patterns that are irregular and doesn’t as far as I know have a clear pattern.

橋 (はし)、 端(はし)、箸(はし)are all pronounced differently in a sentence:

There are also other differences that are less obvious. The word 雰囲気(ふんいき)is often pronounced as ふいんき

1 Like

I’m sorry, are you suggesting that the 14 words which were missing audio required pitch accent to produce?

I’m saying that all japanese words have a pitch accent pattern and it’s good to study them, which I do by listening to audio when I learn new vocab on wanikani. There is variation from spelling to sound, and every pronounciation is not obvious.

2 Likes

I’ll respectfully agree to disagree and drop the subject.

1 Like

Sure, I have full respect for you fellow learner.

Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t understand what is is we are disagreeing on(?)

1 Like

On that note, enjoy this funny video (2 mins):

2 Likes