Please critique my sad life

Suggestion: try a bit of immersion: change your computer, browser, Netflix, etc… to Japanese. Another point, as a general guiding principle, this article captured my heart: Fluency in Japanese Comes from Quantity, Not Quality

I think you need to add some speaking into this routine. I met a guy recently who spent a lot of time in Japanese VR chatrooms and was very ペラペラ (but also very 無礼). You could try something like that or for something a little less daunting iTalki or looking for a local japanese conversation meetup.

Shadowing is a great suggestion, something I don’t do enough of. I’d also recommend doing LingoDeer on the commute. It’s very cheap and a good complement to other grammar resources.

You may want to add some Japanese TV in there, allow me to spruik the list I am building of stuff that is on streaming services.

This is excellent advice. I’m slowing my WK right down so I have more time for things like iTalki (hit me up for an invite) and time with a tutor to get my conversational level up.

1 Like

First off: haven’t read the whole thread.
But! Wanted to say that you should not necessarily do all your lessons as they appear. Keep a watch on your totals for Apprentice, Guru, etc but mostly those two. This will determine how many reviews you have and how often. Regulate the new lessons so that the number of reviews matches your needs. This is…important!

BTW: I totally want a hot Japanese boyfriend too!

2 Likes

Many readers of this thread will have spent substantial time in various cities and where in the city you want to be. They can give you good advice about lodging and even referrals to landlords–they aren’t all the same, and some are more evenhanded than others when it come to charging you for heat, a.c., so on. Some are proximate to universities, cultural centers, some remote. The more specific you try to be, the more specific we can be. To some Japanese, you are not fully human. Others will throw your laundry in with theirs. With some, your airmail copy of a magazine will take an extra several days to get to you while someone in their family reads it. There are various things to be aware of. Be thoughtful, outgoing, just a little careful. Not all downtown backstreets will be innocent adventures.

1 Like

This is true off all life.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.