Playing video games in Japanese is possible but not fun

I do think the OP level is beyond this, being lv 60 and all! :joy:, but yeah, I recently picked it up and love it.

On the theme of Neko Atsume = games that comes in both Japanese and English and you can seamlessly switch between the languages, I do recommend the remastered Nintendo DS version of Chrono Trigger as it also allows you to just switch language in-game. You donā€™t have to shut the game off or anything.

This is compared to for example Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban when you have to go into the main menu and you have also difference saves for each language. Not ideal, if you wanna do a ā€œparalellplayā€ that Iā€™ve attempted in the past. Just as a way to keep up with all the crime scene analyses. ^^;

2 Likes

One other (maybe a little overboard) option is a capture card.
When I wanted really badly to try my first long, difficult game in Japanese (so I could play Yakuza 7 before the localization date was announced), I started out capturing video of me playing so I could review what had happened and pick up stuff I missed.

I ended up learning so quickly from the experience that I stopped needing that safety net quickly, but it was psychologically useful in getting over that ā€œI want to keep playing but I also want to understand and I canā€™t quickly enoughā€ hump which is very real.

Probably this can be approximated just fine with Japanese longplays and LPā€™s on youtube, but there might be something to be said for the personalized aspect of the recording.

6 Likes

Iā€™d just find a game I do enjoy in Japanese. I think the benefits of engaging with native material are unsurpassed. So, itā€™ll be a struggle, but just because this experience was a struggle and bad doesnā€™t mean it has to be.

Iā€™ve had a lot of experience where playing in Japanese that actually wasnā€™t very hard was unfun for me, but playing a different game that was very hard was a lot of fun - even though both games were normally fun games. I find the relationship isnā€™t intuitive and you have to experiment to find something that clicks.

One of the earliest games that clicked for me was é€†č»¢č£åˆ¤, which was objectively a struggle. No furigana; somewhat complicated subject matter; tiny, pixelated kanji. But I enjoyed struggling with it, partly because all the unknown terms were intrinsically interesting to me (I like crime).

Just find something like that.

3 Likes

OMG! :rofl: I will no longer claim I was patient when playing VN-games with a dialogue-grabbing program on the side. This is so much work. I doubt I would have managed it, frankly. At least ctrl+c/ctrl+v is a quick command with little fuss.*

Personally, Iā€™ve just paused some game projects because of me not being on part with the kanji and that feels fine. I mean, the game, once you have it, is not going anywhere! :eyes: itā€™s like a belayed present instead! ^>^

*Iā€™m sort of lying through my teeth here as it was all very flaky in how it worked - or didnā€™t! :rofl: But it still sounds like insane amounts of work!

Honestly, it was surprisingly easy to set up - I had the card already so it was just plugging it in and starting OBS while I played.
I only ended up actually reviewing the first couple of videos, because that part was indeed time-consuming, but for a bit after that I think it just helped to think in my head ā€œah I can go check this again if I need toā€ even though it quickly turned out Iā€¦ didnā€™t need to. Which was a great feeling!

The whole experience ended up being bar none the best time Iā€™ve had with a video game, as much for how much I learned over the 100+ hours as being a great reinvention of a series I already loved. So even punching heavily above your own reading comprehension weight-class so-to-speak, and with a lot of dictionary lookups, the fun is there to be had!
I think itā€™s just that I was extremely enthusiastic to try that game in particular, it was turn-based and had pausable cutscenes, and I could lean on prior series knowledge to help too.

2 Likes

Yes, I think finding a genre that you like is a good starting point. Not to just start with a game youā€™ve been longing to play (going back to my previous argument), because youā€™re just more patient with a game you donā€™t have a lot of preconceptions about - but which is still a genre that you quickly become invested in! :+!:

I did Sigma Harmonics on the DS that was also crime solving stuff. I really liked it, though again, this was more than 10 years ago and after the first case solved, I felt overwhelmed by the cut-scenes when I had no time to fully get everything - but with more experience points in Japanese on my back. :slight_smile:

I completely agree with this. I fully enjoyed the games I played to the end in Japanese. No doubt about it.

But, it was also a different gaming experience from what a native would have had. Thatā€™s also true.

I just want to make that obvious. Both are lovely and gratifying in their own ways. And if you do make it through in Japanese, thatā€™s fantastic, it really is! ^>^

Give yourself cake!

2 Likes

Is the issue spending too much time looking up grammar, or vocabulary, or both?

What other native Japanese material reading do you do, and how frequently?

All I could think when you suggested Animal Crossing was the dialogue for Gulliver and how he likes to go on and on and ooooooonā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve been doing this as a hobby for nigh on 20 years now. Yeah, when I first started, it was agonous. It took me a good ten minutes just to get through a single caption, and even then, I only knew ā€œacademicā€ Japanese so I was confused all the time. My first game was Live A Live, which isā€¦ not a good first game.

As the other replies have said, Iā€™d recommend starting with a game you enjoy. Or something youā€™ve already played in your native language maybe a year or more ago. Iā€™d avoid RPGs and visual novels for now; until you have a solid chunk of kanji in your muscle memory, that goal is going to be overambitious.

You might also consider playing them ā€œtop-downā€: avoid looking words up but just try to pick out what you do understand. Youā€™re really looking for what Koichi calls the ā€œ+1ā€ level of difficulty, where the task is only a little more difficult than what you already know.

If you do want to understand everything you read as you play, there are games that provide furigana. Hereā€™s a list that I just found. I remember reading somewhere that Mario games for the DS have furigana that can be toggled with the touchscreen, but Iā€™ve never tried it myself.

3 Likes

Hahaha, very relatable! 5-year-old me was curious about the meaning of the word ā€œparcelā€ which Professor Oak so desperately needed :stuck_out_tongue: .

@Thofte I think with things like gaming itā€™s kind of important to have fun, otherwise that sort of defeats the purpose. If you find the experience painful, you should maybe try something with slightly less text and on the side, outside your ā€œgame timeā€ work on the bits and pieces you found challenging language-wise, like lots of reading, especially manga.

Or you could try games geared towards younger audiences like early Final Fantasy games, Pokemon, Digimon, etc.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a major Pokemon fan, and Iā€™ve played through the Sinnoh games many times. I recently bought copies of Platinum and RSE in Japanese. First, I havenā€™t encountered any kanji, so at the moment itā€™s just cementing vocab. Iā€™ve also played through Platinum twice before, so I know what Iā€™m getting into. Lastly, being an RPG, there are plenty of spots for me to just play the game without needing to worry about dialogue.

So far, despite the difficulty, Iā€™m seriously enjoying it, and I feel like my language skills are coming together a lot faster since Iā€™m already familiar with a lot of context. I agree with some of the other comments people have been making - choose a game you know, maybe one thatā€™s aimed towards a younger age group, and one that doesnā€™t revolve completely around dialogue :slight_smile:

(as a side note, iā€™m fluent in french and i play games in said language to practice - i always run into new words somewhere (especially slang), and i always write it down in a google sheet. maybe youā€™re already doing that, but i would recommend writing down new vocab!)

2 Likes

I agree. I do tend to start a gaming session looking up a lot of stuff, slowly starting to neglect more and more words after every several minutes, but the idea is the same. Another thing about games like elder Scrolls or gothic or the like, that i find makes them better for language learning than vns imo, is that they give you a mixture of talking and action like exploring and fighting. This way you get small breaks between learning without having to keep track of it yourself. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a jp version of gothic sadly, but Iā€™m talking about language learning in general.

2 Likes

I managed to find only Gothic 4 on amazon.co.jp. True, it looks like Gothic 1 and 2 donā€™t have Japanese translations which is a bit sad :frowning:

I totally agree exploration games are amazing for language learning! Itā€™s kind of like real-life level of interaction with the environment, except you pick how you interact with what. As I remember, dialogue was kind of limited in the early Gothic games and even less in TES 1 & 2, but Morrowing is chalk-full of text and on top of that in very small font. I think I would die playing that in Japanese :smiley:

Maybe that gameā€™s script uses too much slang and/or archaic Japanese? Thatā€™s what always trips me up with games and anime. Iā€™ve had good luck with Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch, which has furigana on every kanji and seems to be written to be playable by a younger audience. Another recommendation (no furigana, though) is Trials of Mana.

I also loaded up ā€œI am Setsunaā€ and went ā€œNope. Gonnaā€™ have to play that in English!ā€

Replaying an old game that you loved the first time around is a good suggestion. Iā€™m also working through Final Fantasy X, and the Steam version lets you change between English and Japanese. That game is voice acted which helps with the lack of furigana, but sometimes can go by too fast.

Iā€™ve also noticed that the language tends to stay consistent so when you learn terms early in the game they get repeated and you donā€™t need to look them up anymore. And now I know all sorts of random words that Iā€™ll never use in a conversation (unless itā€™s about games, I suppose!)

2 Likes

Before I even started WaniKani I played Pokemon Shield in Japanese and I wrote down loads of common kanji into a notepad. Took me a long time to complete, but I found it a lot more fun than doing my coursebooks.

Over the course of those many (many) hours I memorised a lot, so despite it not being as fun as playing in English, it was a lot more fun than the textbooks.

Saying that, I donā€™t think it was the best use of my time (it was before I even knew WK existed so I was learning kanji in weird ways, anything to avoid reading a book tbh).

Also, I heard somewhere you should aim to engage with native content where you understand like at least 60% of what is there? Japanese grammar is a behemoth, so IMO kind of not fully attainable simply by playing games or watching manga. Happy to be proved wrong on that!

3 Likes

I think youā€™ll probably get more out of something you donā€™t have to force yourself to do, itā€™s usually not really possible to force yourself to do something for very long anyway.

Once your skills are up to it, you can always replay it later in Japanese and get a fresh experience that way!

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m replaying it right now after a similarly miserable experience a few years ago. If youā€™re having trouble with anything, feel free to start a ā€œgame clubā€ thread and give me a poke. So far Iā€™ve been able to understand nearly everything save for some of the more obtuse brush gods when they whip out their ꖇčŖž.

5 Likes

Only starting from B/W you can choose a kanji mode when you start a new game, so Platinum is just kana unfortunately.

Gothic 1 and 2 have dope german and polish versions though. French is not bad either. There is no japanese version of morrowind, so youā€™re lucky there. :slight_smile:
I was actually planning to play morrowind first in japanese like I did with every other language I learned except polish (went for gothic first instead), but there doesnā€™t seem to be a japanese language pack. Seems to be one for oblivion though, but Iā€™m not sure. The page itā€™s on is in japanese and would take too much effort to read at this point. And of course skyrim remaster has a full japanese version with text and voice. The dialogues are real time except when choosing what you want to say, but you can use developer console to kind of pause the game, leaving the text on the screen. Or you can just load before a conversation and load if you want stuff repeated. Gets annoying fast though. :smiley:

1 Like