Pitch Accents? Where did these come from..?

Yeah, it should really only be for vocab.

But there are many Kanji that have the same characters, wouldn’t there be differences in pitch to differentiate them?

But kanji on their own are not words (distinct from single kanji read with kunyomi) and as such, they have no pitch accent.

And no, when kanji share pronunciation with different kanji they often have the same pitch accent. Sometimes it’s different, but sometimes it’s the same.

1 Like

Hi Leebo
What does it mean when there are two numbers for a word?

Ignoring pitch is the same as ignoring stress in English. Your interlocutor should be able to guess what you mean, but you’ve just made it much more difficult for them.

For example, 助詞 and 女子 (joshi) have different pitches, and I have misused them before and had people point it out to me.

But I agree that it’s inconsistent across dialects. But, you should be learning Tokyo Japanese as the standard accent.

3 Likes

It means that both pitch accent patterns are acceptable in the Tokyo dialect.

Alright I’ve implemented your suggestions, it should only show on Vocabulary related pages, and should work on Lessons as well now :slight_smile:

GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey should auto-update it.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for more information on pitch accents for a while now, so thank you so much for making the extension, I’m sure it’ll be super useful!

1 Like

I also discovered japanese pitch accents in a youtube video, this one to be precise:

It’s part of a channel aiming at teaching Japanese in a japanese way to french people.
So most won’t be able to understand what is said, but the visuals are clear enough to relate I think (especially at this timestamp).

3 Likes

Damn. That was so fast. I discovered the script today and remembered that someone suggested it yesterday. I was about to point this thread to the script and then saw that it was created yesterday. LOL kudos my dear sir!

1 Like

Finding the script super helpful, especially in tandem with replaying audio.
Kudos!

1 Like

I never thought of searching for videos in languages other than English. My 6 years of high school french will finally come in handy ;_____;

1 Like

Well If you have a good level of french, feel free to use it!
It has a lot of detailed explanation that really helps reading and writing japanese, explained in a way that even a beginner could understand.

In general, I use english based content for all my works cause it’s easier to find and more complete, but this has to be the exception. This channel is still WIP, but really worth the time spent on it, with the exercise sheets to really pratice.

1 Like

@Invertex It might make sense to create a dedicated forum topic for your script for feedback and updates. My only suggestion at the moment would be to also include the raw number from Weblio, in addition to your description of the number’s meaning.

Also, is “moji” technically correct (because of digraphs)? Would “mora” be more accurate?

@polv Which script gives you the dictionary links next to the information and progress links?

Thanks for the app - just what I was looking for! I’d suggest changing ‘moji’ to ‘mora’; I haven’t heard of moji before. Have you watched Dogen’s phonetics series? (Japanese Phonetics #1: Introduction to Japanese Phonetics (Pitch-accent and Pronunciation) - YouTube) If you wanted to extend this script, you could highlight common rules in context.

For example: For Nouns Rule 1:4 mora, 4 hiragana, 2 kanji nouns are almost always へいばん pitch accent [0])

So when there’s a 4 mora 4 hiragana wanikani vocab, you could say (see Rule 1) or somesuch to try and teach the rules as well

@Invertex One more thing. There seems to be a bug in the script for when the first result in Weblio isn’t the expected reading.

For example:
端 is a [0] but your script says [1] (Pitch starts high, ends low.)
橋 is a [2] but your script says [1] (Pitch starts high, ends low.)

In both cases, the first search result says [1], which is why I assume that’s the cause.

I agree that we should start a dedicated topic.

I’ve made a dedicated topic for discussion of the script over here:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.