People who have reached level 60

It really was a slow start, though. :sweat_smile:
Just went into overdrive mode afterwards.

1 Like

Lol, you are doing pretty good, my friend

Thanks, but despair and hopelessness consumes me when I see some stats of some people on forums.

The only thing a high accuracy percentage does is limit the size of your review piles as more items will pass to the next stage in stead of coming back down. But you can achieve the same result by limiting your daily lessons…
For speed-running, I’d say 90% is excellent to keep the workload somewhat manageable. Otherwise, I guess 66% has been mentioned as the ‘break even’ point where items simply do not progress on average. So any average ~70% and up keeps you moving forward.

I wonder if this is level dependent. My meanings percentage is better than my readings - but over the past few levels they’ve been creeping closer together. Maybe they’ll eventually switch places.

Keep in mind that for the purpose of reviews leveling up, the accuracy that matters is the combined accuracy (i.e. the way I measure it), not the way wkstats measures it. You have to get both reading and meaning right to pass a review. You could theoretically never pass a review and still have ~50% accuracy on wkstats.

Also, as long as you have any non-0 pass rate (and the failures are sufficiently independent), you are still moving forward. It’s just that the time taken increases exponentially with higher failure rates.

Which is why I like your accuracy calculator so much :slight_smile: :heart:

Sort of - issue is that a pass does stage +1 and a fail usually does -2, unless it’s already in apprentice.

I think this would be impossible due to the radical reviews, which only have a meaning. So failing these would lower the overall accuracy on wkstats to below 50% in this theoretical “never pass” run.

Or taking it further, I guess it would be even lower, since if you never pass the first set of radicals you never unlock any kanji or vocab, so you’d probably tend towards a 0% accuracy over time.

screenshot-www.wkstats.com_10001-2020.05.21-22_17_22

It used to be higher but I always seem to get around 70% on my reviews these days :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is indeed an important point. However this is not the only thing high accuracy does.

High accuracy also speeds up the time you reach guru with radicals and kanji (and also vocab) precisely because they tend to reach the next stage more often. This unlocks more kanji and vocab faster and accelerates leveling up.

I’ve been looking at this thread in part to see where the stats are at at level 60. I’m only at 9 but I can already see that for me readings will get better than meanings because of the sheer amount of vocab. Not sure if it’ll catch up but I would not be surprised. As I get to know more kanji. I’m more likely to guess the reading even if I have entirely forgot the meaning or get it wrong. Aaah but then comes the rendaku!

I was surprised to see some stats with lower radical numbers though. Radicals are simple and I think I spend more time on them. My visual memory does much better on radicals than kanji.

Tbf this is probably because I always do the reading first. Once I fail the reading I’ll always recall the meaning

You make a good point. I noticed sometimes I need to read (aloud) it to get the meaning to pop into my head! I forget that and struggle with mnemonics and remember it when I do the reading later. It’s a bit frustrating.

1 Like

I find readings more difficult. There is rendaku, long vowel vs short vowels, on vs kun. There are sometimes more that two possible readings. The mnemonics don’t help with these difficulties. Reading mnemonics often get close to the actual reading but are not quite accurate. I have to remember to adjust. For all these reasons readings are often tripping me up. Meanings are simpler from my point of view.

I am still at a rather low level. For what I know perhaps things are different at higher levels.

I’m only level 22, but one thing I noticed is that early on, the readings were much harder than the meanings, but nowadays, I miss the meanings more often than the readings.

Part of it is that you get used to the sound system over time, and the vocabulary becomes a lot more abstract. Jukogu words are basically “free” when it comes to the reading, but in the later levels, they often have meanings only loosely related to the component kanji.

The main things that cause me to miss readings are go-on/kan-on (e.g. I can never remember which words use the sei/shou or jin/nin readings), rendaku and those little tsus (or more importantly, remembering which words don’t do those shortenings, which can be just as hard), and occasionally mixing up onyomi/kunyomi or forgetting a kunyomi reading since they come up much less often and there’s more of them. I also miss a lot of due to typos or just getting careless of course.

On the early levels, I still had all those difficulties with the readings, except it was even harder due to lack of familiarity. The meanings, on the other hand, came for free because they were all simple words with meanings directly related to the kanji. But it’s a lot harder now.

As an example, I keep missing 実在 because I always think the tsu should be shortened, but it isn’t.

1 Like

You start to internalize patterns, so readings become easier to guess with more experience.

3 Likes

Ahhh… almost forgot the 1x1 review method. That impacts it for items where you don’t remember either. For me these get spread out across both - whatever comes up first.

1 Like

Definitely this for me. Plus I get things like 借金 for Master and reading it is no problem but is it “debt” or “loan”?

1 Like

For me readings are harder than meanings for individual kanji, but not for vocab. Probably because by the time I see the vocab, I’ve got the kanji reading down pretty solid. The think I always struggled with was "Dang it, was it しょく or しゃく? しょ or しょう? And even still, I occasionally flip vocab around when speaking. For example I’ll say せんゆう instead of 優先. I know the word, my brain just likes to screw with me in front of other people for its own entertainment.

3 Likes

grafik

I was higher, but the last 10 levels and the time after where I started slacking off here and there really pulled the stats down haha
Still, it’s pretty high, percentage-wise and all I can say is that mnemonics just click for me. Wanikani does everything right for me

2 Likes

2 Likes