Page isn't wiggling for 丈 kun'omi

Hello!

I wanted to post to see if this is an actual problem, or if I’m messing up somehow. So for the vocab 丈, I’ve gotten into the habit of writing だけ, which is an acceptable answer. Then, the kanji 丈 shows up, and I accidentally wrote だけ, but it marked it wrong instead of wiggling.

In 丈’s kanji page, only たけ is listed as a correct Kun’yomi, but in 丈’s vocab page, だけ is also listed as a reading. Is this a mistake? Or is there a reason だけ isn’t listed as an acceptable answer?

Thanks!

1 Like

だけ isn’t a kunyomi for 丈

http://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0003488100

The particle だけ comes from 丈 etymologically, but to say it’s a “correct reading” is a stretch. That would be an entirely different word anyway.

EDIT: I just noticed they have “only, just” as synonyms on the 丈 vocab page… they should probably remove that and the だけ reading.

1 Like

Wow that was fast. Thanks so much!

So just to make sure I understand, the vocab word 丈 can be read as だけ because of the history of the word, but it is a super unique reading that is only used with the particle, which is almost always written in kana anyway?

You should send them an email: hello@wanikani.com
Even if it’s no kun/on yomi, if it’s an acceptable reading for the kanji it should wiggle.

1 Like

I don’t seen any evidence that it is in the monolingual dictionaries I checked, but maybe there is one out there. Also, just because a kanji can be pronounced a certain way, doesn’t mean it is necessarily classified as a reading for that kanji. It could be rendaku or just an exceptional reading.

EDIT: Okay, I checked my Koujien and it does have 丈 as the kanji for the particle だけ. But it’s still not a kunyomi for this kanji.

I’m not saying that it should be accepted as correct, just that it should wiggle, especially if they teach that reading on the one-kanji vocab item. Either that, or they should remove the reading from the vocab item.

1 Like

I don’t think I agree… the wiggling comes from the pronunciations that are listed as official readings. For instance, the kanji 版 has the onyomi of はん. But in the word 出版 it is read as ぱん due to a sound change. This doesn’t make ぱん an onyomi for the kanji though, and so it shouldn’t be added as an onyomi for that kanji, and thus there would be no way for the system to shake if you answered with ぱん.

Unless they changed how the shaking works entirely.

1 Like

The difference is that there is no vocab page for 版 by itself (kanji page only lists はん), while the vocab page for 丈 by itself lists だけ as a reading.

At the end of the day, I don’t care if they add a reading or take away a reading. I would just like the two to be matching if at all possible.

Well, there are kanji that don’t shake even for official readings.
I got 兆 wrong by entering きざし by accident (well, to be fair, it should have been きざ by WK standards, but that’s not accepted either), and 呪 wrong by entering じゅ

I should probably send them an email. I guess.

Okay, here’s an equivalent example.

点 can be read as ぽち for the meaning of “dot” or “point.” But ぽち is not a kunyomi for 点. I can’t tell you why they classified the readings that way, it’s just not one of them.

Yes, if you find those and email them they’ll add them. For instance, I see ま isn’t listed as a kunyomi for 目.

1 Like

This is totally unrelated to the main point of this topic, but this comment lead me to search for words using the ま reading for 目 (since I didn’t know that was a valid reading) and I found out that 目蓋 is an alternate spelling for まぶた, which is pretty interesting.

1 Like

And I have no problem with that, as the 点 vocab page doesn’t list ぽち as a reading. WK specifically gives us the reading だけ in one place but not the other.

We don’t seem to be talking about the same thing.

I had 目の当たり come up on a recent JLPT practice test. It’s まのあたり.

1 Like

I don’t see what the issue is. The fact that WK doesn’t have ぽち on the site doesn’t mean my example wouldn’t be equivalent.

lol what??
I was answering to this comment:

We are definitely not talking about the same thing :laughing:

@seanblue that word also appears in 新世界より :stuck_out_tongue:

@Leebo I sent them an email about the two I listed above.

@OP sorry for derailing the thread. On the 漢字辞典, they don’t list だけ as a reading, but they added a not stating that you can use this kanji instead of the particle. I agree that WK should at least do the same.

2 Likes

The fact that it can be read that way doesn’t mean it’s a kunyomi for the individual kanji… due to… obscure classification decisions as best I can tell. But that’s just what the situation is. The shaking for that is not meant to be any possible reading for the kanji, even if it’s a solo kanji.

1 Like

That seems like a useful phrase.

And now more on topic, it’s interesting to note that jisho includes ぽち for 点, just as it includes だけ for 丈, though that’s not surprising since people can just submit those to be included. Kanjipedia, being much more definitive, doesn’t include them. But I do wonder why they aren’t officially considered kun’yomi.

I’m pretty sure we are and you think I’m just being too strict.