Pacing / level 46 ~ ides of march '23

good day all! :v:
I’ve been doing some calculations…
given the level up schedule I’ve established -
I’ll be hitting level 46 around the ides of march next year…
I’m inclined to not follow the roman’s example / maintain the 7days/level schedule even when double-speed is possible…
I’d be very appreciative to hear from some level 60’s that did or didn’t go double-speed after 45, and how it felt subjectively :pray:
also, anyone who is in the thick of those levels right now, I’d love to hear from someone who is going double-speed right now and how they feel about the lesson/review load :astonished: :pray:
thanks in advance for any insight/guidance!

There’s been some discussion before about this in the subforums for sure. You should check out the study threads. I also made a couple of POLLs that shows how people did with the possibility of speed running toward the end.

I defo went fast and furious, but not without reason. Every 3-4 level I’d dial back my pace from 3-4 days, stretching the level out to 6-7 days. It still built up plenty of apprentice level items, but it did keep things from overwhelming me.

But, int the end, only you can decide what kind of workload you can manage.

If you’re still unsure about it, try gradually increasing your pace until you find a new good pace to go at. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Go at whatever speed feels comfortable to you. It took me 2.5 years to reach level 60

6 Likes

You will end up with 500+ reviews daily for three months. If you can handle it, go for it. But personally I don’t really see the point, since I’m at 42 it’s not really kanji that is my problem, it’s grammar and listening comprehension. I’d put that time into grammar and more immersion personally, but you do you. I’ll stick with the 7-8 day levels throughout since kanji is not in a rush.

3 Likes

At Level 39, this is a great warning to me not to even think about taking the fast levels fast.

2 Likes

FWIW I completely burnt out in the mid-40s after successfully doing 8-day levels for over a year. Part of this was life circumstance, but I really wish I had slowed down earlier. Once I was feeling it, it was too late and I got buried.

I gave up for about two years and I just completely reset to the beginning a few weeks ago (as you can see). I’m running fast right now but this time I’m committed to dropping to 10 lessons a day once I hit level 20.

Anyway, all that to say, (a) you’ll have a much better sense of your tolerance by the end of this year so why worry about it now and (b) my personal recommendation is to take it easier once you’re up there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d really recommend not approaching WK with really specific, demanding long-term goals like this. A lot can happen during a year, and the pace you’re talking about here is very punishing. It wouldn’t be good for you to feel pressured to keep going at a speed that is past your limit just to meet an arbitrary deadline. I think it’s important to be able to evaluate as you go whether or not your pace is working for you, and make changes if needed.

Ultimately, the end goal is to learn Japanese, not complete WK, so you’ll want to make sure that you’re making decisions with your study plan that prioritize what’ll help you keep learning the language, not what will help you complete WK sooner.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.