[Outdated] [Userscript] Burn Reviews (ver 2.2.5)

And… it just started working.

Is that “undefined” response to the local.Storage.settings command the correct response?

The other errors didn’t occur again after you successfully set your API key and refreshed because it now has the key and doesn’t need to fetch it. If other scripts are throwing errors for the API key then if you find out which they are I could help you with that as well, or if you aren’t missing any feature then you can just ignore the errors.

Yep. That’s just the console telling you that the function localStorage.setItem() didn’t return any value, which it shouldn’t.

1 Like

I’m down to two errors now, which are presumably unrelated to this script. Clicking on the first one takes me to WaniKani SRS Level Progress v1.2.2, and the second one takes me to WanaKana v1.3.7, in both cases errors relating to the apikey. But neither seem to be causing any problems that I notice, so all is good with the world. Thanks for your help!

For SRS Level Progress you can set the API key manually with this
localStorage.setItem('apiKey_v2', 'API_V2_KEY');

1 Like

Hi all, I’m really sorry I haven’t been maintaining this as well as I should. I’m going through quite a lot in my life right now and I’ve been too burned out to study Japanese at all, let alone maintain a userscript. If anyone manages to fix the issues and submits a pull request through github then I’ll gladly merge it in, but I just don’t have the time or mental energy to really address these issues properly at the moment.
I hope I can get back in to learning Japanese again soon, so I can be motivated to fix these problems. For the time being, apologies for being so useless :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Heh, I know how you feel since I love helping people, but sometimes life has to take priority :slight_smile:

I have a situation right now where a group that I’m a member of has asked if I’d be willing to build a website for them. And while I’d love to (assuming I could find the time), I also have to consider the fact that many of them don’t even have email, so things would totally fall apart if/when I’m unable to maintain it myself.

I’m hoping there are enough programmers on Wanikani that there will always be someone who can maintain this current generation (in WK terms) of scripts to some extent. I suppose it will probably wax and wane somewhat, but there are lots of talented people here, so someone will eventually support this stuff when the threshold of pain to do so is exceeded :wink:

Take care of yourself, and we’ll look forward to seeing you around when you’re ready.
がんばってね!

2 Likes

Is this still working? For some reason, no kanji appears for me, and nothing happens when I click the “Start” button10

Heya, with the new update, when I turn on Burn Reviews in combination with Leech List, for some reason, the search bar gets pushed up and I can’t use it anymore. I love the two scripts and don’t really want to remove it. Can this be fixed?

Burn reviews off

Burn reviews on

The position of both scripts

2 Likes

I just installed this widget, but somehow it dosen’t seem to work :thinking:

This is all that’s displayed. I waited quite a long time, but it didn’t changed at all. Tried reloading the page several times, too. Didn’t change anything. Any idea, what the Problem could be?

I’m using this script in Safari with Mac OS 10.14.5

2 Likes

Have the same issue. Check your script console using F12. I see errors relating to API key authentication.

Seems like it’s a dead scripts at this point.

I don’t blame the dev but the site. This is basic stuff nobody should have to add for FREE. I’ve already paid for the site

You paid for the service as it was, not for what it could be

4 Likes

I’m a life time member. I guess I expected useful updates, like burn reviews, not GUI redesigns which I couldn’t care less about.
Edit: This thread has posts from more than 4yrs ago. It should be an indication that this particular 3rd party script is a useful feature.

1 Like

In case someone comes across this and has the widget stuck on “retrieving radical data”, I made a hacky fix. The script hasn’t been updated to fetch the API keys from the site properly, so here’s a replacement:

function getApiKeyThen(callback) {
    // First check if the API key is in local storage.
    var api_key = localStorage.getItem('apiKey');
    if (typeof api_key === 'string' && api_key.length === 36) {
        return callback(api_key);
    }
    else {
        // We don't have the API key.  Fetch it from the /settings/account page.
        console.log('Fetching api_key');
        $.get('/settings/personal_access_tokens')
            .done(function(page) {
                if (typeof page !== 'string') return callback(null);

// Extract the API key.
                api_key = $(page).find('.personal-access-token-token').first().children().first().text();
                if (typeof api_key == 'string' && api_key.length == 36) {
                    // Store the updated user info.
                    localStorage.setItem('apiKey', api_key);
                }
                else {
                    BRLog("Failed to get API key :( instead got: '" + api_key + "'", ERROR);
                }
                return callback(api_key);
            });
    }
}

Replace the getApiKeyThen(callback) function in the script with the one above.
As I said, it’s hacky. In the API key page, your topmost v2 key should have at least reviews:create permission, or it won’t work.

Thanks for looking in to this in my negligence!
I saw you forked the project on GitHub so if you want to fix the script up and put in a pull request I’d be happy to merge it in :slight_smile:

I put in a pull request for that exact change right after posting :wink:

What might be the cause of this? It has always been stuck on “Retrieving radical data”. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the script.

I would rather recommend you look into getting the Self-Study Quiz script, which does include a filter for only burned items

2 Likes

Hello all, I’ve just pushed a really really horrible hacky fix to this script that so far as I can tell gets it to run again. You should be able to get the update from greasyfork. It still uses the old version1 api key which is set to be deprecated so without work to fix this, this script will not work in future.

Honestly I’d love it if someone took the maintenance of this userscript off my hands as I don’t really have capacity for it anymore. Really the whole codebase needs an overhaul using something like the wanikani open framework and all the new features that have been added to browsers and userscripts in the past 3 years since I decided to fix up this script.

If I re-find my motivation to study japanese, I might pick up maintenance of this again, but don’t hold your breath.

2 Likes

Looking up, I see this was already mentioned, but does anyone have any idea how to avoid the Burn Reviews script pushing the screen upwards and hiding some of it? After some testing, it seems to me that it doesn’t matter what other things are on the screen-- I’ve tried removal scripts for dashboard elements, scripts that add a full screen’s worth of boxes to the dashboard, and every time, the burn script seems to be what pushes the screen up for me.

I’d imagine this is just some kind of layout issue, possibly relating to the size increase button, but if anyone knows what might be going on and how I might fix it (through a fork or though coding it myself), I’d appreciate it. This is a great script, and I’d like to make it a permanent part of my dashboard.

I don’t use this script, but I toggled it on and did a review, and I don’t see any of this behavior. What exactly is happening?