Ouran High School Host Club 🌸 Book Club // Currently Reading Volume 1 (桜蘭高校ホスト部)

Yup! First one goes up Saturday this week (or Friday if it fits my schedule better to post it then)!

4 Likes

Awesome! I’m reading a smidge early (overeager lol), so hopefully I’ll have time to gather my thoughts

5 Likes

And our first week is here! :tada:

And I just remembered I forgot to add the end panel for the week, I’ll do that right now!

15 Likes

I think that most, if not all, of us hit a bit of brick wall with this manga that none of us were expecting. :joy:

So, considering that, would you guys like to slow down? Maybe divide this first chapter and the next one in three, and then hope by the third chapter we are ready for half chapters per week?

I know some people have already finished reading this week, so adding another week on to this first one seems a bit sad for them. Especially if they made an extra effort to manage it. So that was why I was thinking divide it in three, because it means those that already finished just has a head start on the next week.

Alternatively, I could divide next week into two, and then re-divide chapter two into three parts.

The reason I’m suggesting divide chapter 2 too, is because I’d rather do that now than be in the same situation as now in a few weeks. While I feel like we will have a better idea during chapter 2 if we need to divide chapter 3 too, because it is far off yet.

Well, in the grand tradition of WK book clubs, I’ll put it to a poll!

I’ll go through the multiple yes options before the poll, because they are a bit wordy.

Option A: Yes, please slow down in this manner: Divide chapter 1 and 2 in three, and thereby changing which page this current week ends on. Meaning those who have already finished, will be ahead.

Option B: Yes, please slow down in this manner: Leave week 1 alone, and halve chapter 1 - part 2, and divide chapter 2 in three.

Option C: Yes, and you are fine with either A or B, OR you have a better slow down idea. Please comment below if it is the better idea part of C.

Should we slow down?
  • Yes, option A
  • Yes, option B
  • Yes, option C
  • No, please don’t
  • I’m fine with what the majority decides (meaning yes or no, and most/all yes options)

0 voters

7 Likes

Seems we are in favor of slowing down the schedule and since a new week starts on Saturday. I’ll leave the poll open until I’m sitting down to redo the schedule, but this is what I’m thinking now. (I was gonna close it but realized it hadn’t even been 24 hours, and I’m not doing the redoing the schedule this minute anyway.)

With option C in majority, I would have personally preferred to use option A, but that would make the threads weird, which I only realized after posting my message yesterday. (See I knew my brain wasn’t all the way there. :joy:) And I don’t think trying to move posts is the answer since they might be about multiple weeks suddenly.

So instead I’m going to halve Part 2. So in essence this first week is going to be double the length of week 2 and 3. But hopefully that should give people time to catch up if they can’t quite finish week 1 by Saturday (I’m probably in that camp myself, but partly due to having a busy week…). And we won’t have any weirdness with posts in the wrong place.

I’ll also look through chapter 2 (but probably not have that done by Saturday) for spots to cut it in three parts. I’ll aim to make chapter 2’s page count ramp into potentially tackling chapter 3 in 2 parts.

I’m really hoping we’ll be used to some of the outrageous speech patterns by then. ^^

8 Likes

This is how I adjusted the schedule:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 May 20th Chapter 1 - Part 1 3 - 26 24
Week 2 May 27th Chapter 1 - Part 2 27 - 40 14
Week 3 Jun 3rd Chapter 1 - Part 3 41 - 54 14
Week 4 Jun 10th Chapter 2 - Part 1 55 - 66 12
Week 5 Jun 17th Chapter 2 - Part 2 67 - 82 16
Week 6 Jun 24th Chapter 2 - Part 3 83 - 106 24
Week 7 Jul 1st Chapter 3 - Part 1 107 - 137 31
Week 8 Jul 8th Chapter 3 - Part 2 138 - 158 21
Week 9 Jul 15th 番外編〜ハニー先輩[…]〜 + Egoistic Club 159 - 177 19

I found good breaking points for all of them, and I hope the ramp up works well in chapter 2. I know the gap between 16 and 24 seems quite high, but while I could potentially move the break 3 pages forward, 2 of those pages have so little text it felt a bit underwhelming, especially since the current break between part 2 and 3 of chapter 2 is as good as it can get (time skip!).

I also double checked why chapter 3 was split in such an uneven way, and that is because that is a natural split, while moving the split earlier would be smack dab in the middle of a flow that seemed confusing to break in the middle of.

But hopefully the ramp I managed to build in chapter 2 will work, and also you know, we’ll be more used to their shenanigans 100 pages in.

Let me know what you think of the new splitting of chapter 2. The chapter 1 split is going live as soon as I can finish the new thread after posting this (I’ll be too busy tomorrow to do it timely then).

We’ll check back in on speed in chapter 2 again, and see if we need to divide chapter 3 into three too. But until then, hopefully this schedule will be a bit gentler for us all. :smiley:

9 Likes

And here is week 2:

4 Likes

I only just saw the most recent posts about difficulty, I’m happy with the outcome. This week is not ideal reading conditions for me, so I took a look, went “nope”, and moved to an easier manga :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Last third of chapter 1 this week:

No end panel needed this week. Yay!

7 Likes

Starting chapter 2 this week, part 1 of 3:

2 Likes